Nurse Practitioner $30,000,000 Lawsuit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMaccoman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Gov't To Pay $29.7M For Ill. Clinic's Negligence - Law360
or if you can't access above: Judge awards $29.6 million in malpractice damages

Complex patient with severely high blood pressure. Nurse practitioner failed to educate and treat high BP or refer out to a physician. Patient develops renal failure. $30million lawsuit GOV't needs to pay.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
According to the article "Because the Windsor Clinic is federally subsidized, claims against its employees for negligent medical care are considered to be claims against the federal government."

I wonder if Mr.Clanton were treated by a physician(MD/DO) rather than the NP would they have instead sued the physician rather than the U.S Government? The article almost brushes off that this was under NP care-- it's seemingly peripheral.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yikes, such high hypertension at age 28?

According to the article "Because the Windsor Clinic is federally subsidized, claims against its employees for negligent medical care are considered to be claims against the federal government."

I wonder if Mr.Clanton were treated by a physician(MD/DO) rather than the NP would they have instead sued the physician rather than the U.S Government? The article almost brushes off that this was under NP care-- it's seemingly peripheral.

I don't think so. It's the clinic and the nature of its relationship with the federal government that's the compelling factor here, not the type of practitioner. Just like with the DoD or VA, practitioners aren't sued as individuals, or - more accurately - they're dropped once the plaintiff's attorney figures out which way is up.

No outpatient BP log? What about in house BP monitoring? What are the chances he was normotensive every visit, but severely hypertensive in between? What would cause such a pattern? Then there's always the possibility the NP shrugged off the hypertension as "okay" in a 28 year old, but I refuse to believe that. Such an odd case. I apologize in advance if this is an oversimplification, I'm still an incompetent M1.5 :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Here comes all the NP hate but them seems like a really odd case I would say whether a NP,MD or DO would have ended in a lawsuit!

Reactions: 1 user

I don't think so. It's the clinic and the nature of its relationship with the federal government that's the compelling factor here, not the type of practitioner. Just like with the DoD or VA, practitioners aren't sued as individuals, or - more accurately - they're dropped once the plaintiff's attorney figures out which way is up.

Correct. Practitioners of all types at Federal facilities are "insured" by the federal government against malpractice.

I wonder how much of this was provider neglect vs. lack of patient compliance.