NPTE + Practice Test Score Correlation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimmydicks101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are previous threads of this similar posts, but wanted to resurface this question to stay updated. For those of you who passed the NPTE, mind sharing your practice test scores? Specifically with O'Sullivans, Scorebuilders, and PEATS. Also, anyone take the Scorebuilders review course before? Helpful at all? Taking exam in April...

Members don't see this ad.

FSBPT keeps stats on performance on PEAT and NPTE...dont have time to find link right now. But as far as I recall, if you passed the PEAT (with any score), and assuming you took it like a real test, you have like a 98% chance of passing the NPTE.

Reactions: 1 user
I only studied/took O'sullivan. My scores in the order I took the tests are: O'sullivan practice exams - 68% (test A), 75% (test B), 67% (test C); PEAT - 86% (retired), 85% (practice). I took the most recent July NPTE and got an 800/800 (Still trying to figure it out because I felt HORRIBLE when I finished!).

I only studied/took O'sullivan. My scores in the order I took the tests are: O'sullivan practice exams - 68% (test A), 75% (test B), 67% (test C); PEAT - 86% (retired), 85% (practice). I took the most recent July NPTE and got an 800/800 (Still trying to figure it out because I felt HORRIBLE when I finished!).
I want to contact with you
You have email or account to chat with you

Members don't see this ad :)
I know there are previous threads of this similar posts, but wanted to resurface this question to stay updated. For those of you who passed the NPTE, mind sharing your practice test scores? Specifically with O'Sullivans, Scorebuilders, and PEATS. Also, anyone take the Scorebuilders review course before? Helpful at all? Taking exam in April...

Did anyone take a prep course? Any thoughts about TEP?? Im taking the July test....

I took the Therapy Ed course. It really helped me think critically and how to approach the questions. Knowledge usually isn't the problem; clinical reasoning and test-taking skills are.

I got high 74 and 77 on the PEAT, high 60's on the Therapy Ed tests, high 70's on the Scorebuilders test, high 80's on the NPTE Practice Exam (I'm not sure where I found this but it's an independent test), and I got 665 on the exam.

I see you took the NPTE in April but I feel this may benefit others who prepare for future exams.

PEAT 1: 81% (scale 655)
PEAT 2: 81% (scale 715)

O'Sullivan 2015 edition 1, 2, 3: 67%, 71%, 73%

Score builders 2012 edition 1, 2, 3: 74.5%, 74.5%, 74%

Passed the NPTE first try. I did take the Scorebuilder's review course as it was offered through my program (took it in November, but didn't take the exam until April); I did find it beneficial for introduction into how to study but I ended up not following any of their advice as far as CATs and content outline (being able to verbalize all of the information). I know people that have taken both TherapyEd & Scorebuilders review course and they found TherapyEd was better.

What worked best for me was taking practice exams and studying the wrong answers, making study guides with information and reviewing it frequently. I studied for 7 weeks, 3-4 hours, 5 days per week and took weekends off.

I did find that my preparation paid off but mostly in that I was able to deduce correct answers based on how they were worded. During the exam, I did feel that I hadn't studied a majority of the material that was on the exam, however, I walked away feeling like I couldn't have prepared any differently for it.

Reactions: 1 users
I took the Therapy Ed course. It really helped me think critically and how to approach the questions. Knowledge usually isn't the problem; clinical reasoning and test-taking skills are.

I got high 74 and 77 on the PEAT, high 60's on the Therapy Ed tests, high 70's on the Scorebuilders test, high 80's on the NPTE Practice Exam (I'm not sure where I found this but it's an independent test), and I got 665 on the exam.

I need your help. Do you have an email address

Send me a PM.
I see you took the NPTE in April but I feel this may benefit others who prepare for future exams.

PEAT 1: 81% (scale 655)
PEAT 2: 81% (scale 715)

O'Sullivan 2015 edition 1, 2, 3: 67%, 71%, 73%

Score builders 2012 edition 1, 2, 3: 74.5%, 74.5%, 74%

Passed the NPTE first try. I did take the Scorebuilder's review course as it was offered through my program (took it in November, but didn't take the exam until April); I did find it beneficial for introduction into how to study but I ended up not following any of their advice as far as CATs and content outline (being able to verbalize all of the information). I know people that have taken both TherapyEd & Scorebuilders review course and they found TherapyEd was better.

What worked best for me was taking practice exams and studying the wrong answers, making study guides with information and reviewing it frequently. I studied for 7 weeks, 3-4 hours, 5 days per week and took weekends off.

I did find that my preparation paid off but mostly in that I was able to deduce correct answers based on how they were worded. During the exam, I did feel that I hadn't studied a majority of the material that was on the exam, however, I walked away feeling like I couldn't have prepared any differently for it.
How did the test go?

This forum was helpful while I studied for the 2017 July boards.

I studied 4-6 hours a day for 6 weeks before the July exam. I would take a practice test and review my weaknesses. My stats were O'Sullivan 2017 practice test A: 64%, B:74%, C: 69% Score Builders 2017 Test I - 73%, Retired NPTE during score 2016 78%, Retired NPTE a week before the exam 90%.

NPTE first try 800.

I also found this thread very helpful studying for April 2018 NPTE, to build my confidence, so I'll share my results as well.

I took Therapy Ed test A before studying - 64.5%. Test B 2 weeks before the test - 75.5%. Test C 1 week before test - 76%.

PEAT tests: Retired form about 2 weeks before test - 86% (694). Practice form 1 week before test - 82% (721).

Passed NPTE first attempt with 742, but walked out having no confidence that I had passed. It will likely feel very hard, but try not to stress!

Overall, Therapy Ed seemed harder than the PEAT exams. I studied for about 4 weeks 2-3 hours per weekdays, and some weekend days (not necessarily recommending this, just what I did). I used O'Sullivan book, but no prep course, and would THOROUGHLY review all practice question, right or wrong.

Reactions: 1 user