NPTE- July 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

end508

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting a thread for discussion and results post on the July-NPTE. I thought the exam was (unnecessarily) difficult, with very few "easy" questions. Cannot wait to receive the results next week.
~Best of luck to everyone~

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Passed !!! Maine here
Congrats to all who passed, and best of luck to who's waiting!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Passed in Louisiana!! Finally decided to leave the clinic around 5:30 and when I got to my truck I decided to check one last time on my phone and found out! Congrats to everyone passing and good luck to those still waiting!

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know how late they would report scores last cycle? In other words: Is it worth it to stay up late

Members don't see this ad :)
Passed in new york.... congrats to all who passed .... nd good luck to thise who r waiting

OMG!!!! PASSED!!!!!!!!! Took FL at 8am on Tuesday! I don't think I have ever been this happy! Every one who is still waiting, hang in there and have faith

The wait is over ....finally...passed in Texas (Tue 8 am exam)
Best wishes to all who are still waiting!

OMG!!!! PASSED!!!!!!!!! Took FL at 8am on Tuesday! I don't think I have ever been this happy! Every one who is still waiting, hang in there and have faith
Congratulations!
I can imagine....mutual feeling!! I still can't believe I passed. I would say the same to all those who are still waiting.... have faith & stay positive!!

Passed in NC, Got results 8:30 EST.
Previous graduates said their results didn't come until 10 pm and even later. Hang in there.

Any advice to help those that failed.
I would just say get a score report and study on your weakest points first- then closer to exam date do a quick review over your strong points. And stick to study habits that closely mimic how you usually study within the lens of the NPTE prep course suggestions. I don't think there's one perfect formula for anyone.

Reactions: 1 users
Passed in NY!!! Congrats to everyone...4th attempt. For those that didn't pass I know your pain. Enroll in Mastermind! For those who Passed Congrats!!! On ward :)

After watching my FB feed blow up all afternoon with my classmates post screenshots of the "PASSED" screen.
I got my own PASSED screen at 6:45pm!

Mastermind PT Final Exam Will Crane is the best and great support. I am foreign trained PT no DPT, it was my 4th attempt. Was receiving 73-74%. Mastermind pushed me to think differently and attack the exam in a different manner! Good luck you will do it!

Passed NYS 8:55 EST, tested Wednesday morning. I couldn't figure out any method to the madness of when you find out. Some people who tested after me knew results hours before me. People from my testing center knew way before me. Don't lose faith, stay positive! I was certain I failed and I didn't.

I took it in Colorado. PASSED.

Incase anyone was wondering about my PEAT and studying plan:

I was a little nervous since I only did the PEAT once in March earned a 76. If you get over 600 points you have a 96 percent chance of passing the actual NPTE. Felt like a champ and didn't want to mess up my positive attitude. So I just read the Scorebuilders book. Looked over Duttons and MMTs. Worked. Then freaked out at the end because I didn't get to look over my PEAT since it expired and cost $50 to open it again. And I didn't know if I forgot what I knew lol. I had three days and just hoped statistics were on my side. Thank God. Congratulations everyone!

Btw I had a red bull and like 5 protein bars during the scheduled break.

Passed!!! I'm foreign trained and this was my 3rd attempt. Anyone out there struggling with this exam remember to not lose hope. You can do it! I actually scored very low on my second attempt and was able to get through it with a lot of perseverance this time. A lot of prayer also!!!

First & foremost...don't loose hope and stay positive. Believe in yourself that you can actually pass the NPTE. I am telling this will increase your score by 10 points. Another important thing is to realize that NPTE is not an academic exam, so feeding your mind with books won't help. I read a lot of books, gave all the practice exams in the world, analysed my scores & weak areas but pushed my score from 70 to 74% in previous 2 attempts.
I got enrolled in Therapy Exam Prep and wow....I wish I knew about this before my first attempt. I am not advertising their course here but this is my personal experience. Brilliant course, superb content, forum & live webinars and expert guidance from their moderators, they are available 24*7 and they have a lot of experience on how to tackle our weak points!!! Most importantly, their 'Exam process' give us tricks on how to think clinically and answer the question correctly. With this tool, I bet you will see a hike in your score by 10 points in just 1 week. Lastly, this course has trained my brain to think clinically & see each Q on the exam as my patient, which will definitely help me when I start practicing. I absolutely loved TEP course!
Whatever path you choose, always remember to be positive & have faith in yourself.

Not sure if this would help...but i literally typed up a quizlet on all major sections including musculoskeletal, cardiovascular, neuro, etc using the the Osullivans book (up to chapter 8). I have tons of pictures and mnemonics that really helped me to learn the material. Osullivan is a great book, but completely dry. I am a visual learner therefore added hundreds of pictures relevant to the information really helped me. Anyways, go to quizlet. Look up InpatientDPT (baby lion image) and enter the password: pass. My friend failed the NPTE 3 times and decided to use quizlet and was finally successful. Let me know if this helps :). Good luck.

Get the NPTE pocket prep app! You will be happy you did! It's the app from the writers of the test. Other than that I literally only used the PEAT exams and looked at the right answers/why they were right and, additionally I studied the other options too because I figured that was basically the NPTE telling me those things were fair game for the test!

Passed in Ohio. Congrats everyone. For those that failed stay strong and keep fighting. This was my third attempt, I did TEP, Mastermind and TherapyEd course.
I believe it was the last one that got me thinking the way I should. My faith was my greatest help. I Thank my father Jehovah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was my fist time taking the exam and I passed. In school I had never been the best test taker but have always been able to pull through when it mattered. I only used Therapy Ed (Osullivan) to prepare, I had the 2016 version big book and took the prep course and really liked the small manual book they provide you with which I also studied from. I officially started 8 weeks out and I read cover to cover the small Therapy ED book from the prep course and used the big book primarily for MSK, NM, CP, Peds, and some Modalities. I took the 3 exams Osullivan came with and a 67% was my highest score, I took both peats and scored a 78% on retired NPTE and 77% on the practice test. These scores were nothing to be excited about but I made sure I took each exam and reviewed all questions even the ones I got correct.
What I feel helped me the best was 3 days before the exam, I filled my mind with positive outcomes and never once thought negative about the exam and went with a mindset already thinking I will pass no matter what exam was given to me. Im not trying to sound arrogant here, nor was I telling people "hey Im passing this exam" or whatever but I just kept it to myself. Thinking this way really helped empower me to believe that I was going to pass even though I knew I was not a good test taker and I had some low to average scores on the practice exams. I heard so many stories of those who let a few questions they had no idea how to answer them, consume them and hurt them for the rest of the exam. I made sure this would not happen to me through positive thinking and believing I would pass, and so I did.

This is my 4th time failing this exam... I think that I need individualized help. I feel like I am able to explain concepts to people well but apparently have a hard time applying that knowledge to answering questions correctly. I took the Will Crane course and my score actually dropped. Maybe that is due to working, not utilizing all my resources, or a loss of base knowledge. I think that I need a tutor.. any suggestions for how to find one or any suggestions at all would be helpful. Right now I feel like I will never pass this test.

This is my 4th time failing this exam... I think that I need individualized help. I feel like I am able to explain concepts to people well but apparently have a hard time applying that knowledge to answering questions correctly. I took the Will Crane course and my score actually dropped. Maybe that is due to working, not utilizing all my resources, or a loss of base knowledge. I think that I need a tutor.. any suggestions for how to find one or any suggestions at all would be helpful. Right now I feel like I will never pass this test.

Don't ever give up. I heard of someone who actually passed after their 10th attempt. In my opinion, it's really important to devote at least whole 3 months before taking the exam. Use those months to just focus on the exam and avoid distractions. Evaluate yourself and know your strengths and weaknesses. If you've already mastered something, there's no point reviewing it again and again. Review those hard concepts and your weakness. Order your performance report if you can so you'll know which areas you need to improve. Do not underestimate Other Systems and Nonsystems. They only test few items under those, but hold greater gravity towards your score. So most likely if you fail significantly on those, you'll likely to fail. It is also important not to fry your brain too much by overstudying. If you feel tired, you should rest and recuperate. You should know by now how mentally tiring NPTE is and the last thing you need is already feeling fatigued mentally before the exam even started. And last thing, on your next attempt, be confident that you'll pass. Think positive all the time. It would make a difference!

Oh, and do a LOT of Practice tests! Make sure that you take it as if it's the real NPTE.

This was my fist time taking the exam and I passed. In school I had never been the best test taker but have always been able to pull through when it mattered. I only used Therapy Ed (Osullivan) to prepare, I had the 2016 version big book and took the prep course and really liked the small manual book they provide you with which I also studied from. I officially started 8 weeks out and I read cover to cover the small Therapy ED book from the prep course and used the big book primarily for MSK, NM, CP, Peds, and some Modalities. I took the 3 exams Osullivan came with and a 67% was my highest score, I took both peats and scored a 78% on retired NPTE and 77% on the practice test. These scores were nothing to be excited about but I made sure I took each exam and reviewed all questions even the ones I got correct.
What I feel helped me the best was 3 days before the exam, I filled my mind with positive outcomes and never once thought negative about the exam and went with a mindset already thinking I will pass no matter what exam was given to me. Im not trying to sound arrogant here, nor was I telling people "hey Im passing this exam" or whatever but I just kept it to myself. Thinking this way really helped empower me to believe that I was going to pass even though I knew I was not a good test taker and I had some low to average scores on the practice exams. I heard so many stories of those who let a few questions they had no idea how to answer them, consume them and hurt them for the rest of the exam. I made sure this would not happen to me through positive thinking and believing I would pass, and so I did.

I apologize , I accidently reposted a thread without any reply lol I completely agree with agarci27...my advisor from school at one point wrote questions for the NPTE...she has over 41 years practicing and would always tell me....if you dont know the answer to a question...pick your best guess and move on...if you spend alot of time on one question or try to figure out an answer it will only frustrate you and all your questions will suffer...I'm not the best test taker and like agarci27 i too averaged around the same with my exams...my biggest advice is to answer questions and go over the rationale.

What practice tests have you taken and what were your scores? what were study habits like? What have your scores been on the real thing? PM me if you'd like.

Step 1- Gather yourself and relax. Spend some time away from books/studies and hit the reset button! Next step...which is the MOST IMP STEP is to be positive and believe that you can actually pass NPTE! Train your brain and foresee that you have passed! I have tried this after my second attempt and without changing my study plans, my score was up by 16 points in first practice exam during 1st week of exam analysis
Step 2- I would highly recommend TEP course. NPTE is not an academic exam so we need a very different approach to crack this. Honestly, I just trained my brain and started thinking clinically and that's all. I didn't study any books and gave only 4 practice exams and 1 PEAT for my third attempt! I just followed TEP process (brilliantly developed exam process) and I nailed this exam!

Its my 4th unsuccessful try also. Cry it out. Take a breather and come back with a fresh mind. Don't let self -doubt get to you. I know we have additional pressure because we only have 2 more tries. Don't test until your practice test are in the safe zone.

Congrats to everyone who passed! To those who didn't, don't worry! That test was exhausting!

I know people were wondering how people studied to prep... I read Therapy Ed and then scorebuilders. My class always hosted a Therapy Ed study prep class. I would highly recommend attending one if possible. Personally I liked the tips and tricks they provided to understand what questions are asking. They also had tips on how to mentally prepare.

Also I studied every way possible. I read, I took practice questions, rewrote information I couldn't remember, talked out loud, etc. The important thing is to figure out how you study/learn best and go for it. I need to study in multiple ways and so that's what I did.

And lastly I recommend asking for help if you are confused. I truly believe we are a profession who sticks together and looks out for each other. So we are here to help if you need it! :nod:

Mastermind PT Final Exam Will Crane is the best and great support. I am foreign trained PT no DPT, it was my 4th attempt. Was receiving 73-74%. Mastermind pushed me to think differently and attack the exam in a different manner! Good luck you will do it!
Hi Creole, did you take the Mastermind Live Course or the Independent Study Course? I am a Foreign graduate as well, will the course may trained me to think critically about the exam? thank you so much in advance for your reply..

Congratulations to all my fellow PTs who passed!

I have a question for those of you who passed the NPTE in July 2017 and have applied for a NY license. Has anyone received their license yet? Or even their license number? I have been (hopefully) checking the NY Office of Professions website each day since results were released, to see if my name has been added to the online database. No luck yet. Just wondering if anyone else has received their NY license number yet, or whether anyone knows how long it usually takes.

PS the NY license lookup website is here if you wanted to check: NYS Professions - Online Verifications

Congratulations to all my fellow PTs who passed!

I have a question for those of you who passed the NPTE in July 2017 and have applied for a NY license. Has anyone received their license yet? Or even their license number? I have been (hopefully) checking the NY Office of Professions website each day since results were released, to see if my name has been added to the online database. No luck yet. Just wondering if anyone else has received their NY license number yet, or whether anyone knows how long it usually takes.

PS the NY license lookup website is here if you wanted to check: NYS Professions - Online Verifications

Same here, I'm a Texas applicant and waiting for my name to come up. I got my results Tuesday 7/25...

Unfortunately i failed with a 598 score. Does anyone know if a verification of score can help in anyway. Thank u