NPTE April 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abernardpt

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Opening a thread for result posts and discussion on the April 26 NPTE. I for one thought it was a fair exam with decent mix of easy and moderate level questions. Anxious to receive my results this week. Best of luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Passed from California. Congratulations to those who passed and..."NEVER GIVE UP" to those who failed..

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What is happening in Texas? I know someone who got their results around 4pm and everyone else is still waiting at 10:20pm :(

I received my scores and I PASSED! Good luck to those still waiting, and PT Spouse please keep us posted.

Just received score from NJ at around 7AM and my wife passed!!!! So so happy

Thanks for those who had good wishes. And Congrats to those passing!

Reactions: 5 users
For those who look at this thread in the future understand that the results trickle out all night, even into the morning. I didn't receive my results until 3am. Stay patient

Congrats to everyone that passed! Taking my test in July!

Could you guys give me some tips on passing the boards? Did you guys take a prep course? etc

Members don't see this ad :)

Could you guys give me some tips on passing the boards? Did you guys take a prep course? etc

So here is what I did for my first attempt in Oct, I moved my family, started my son in a new school in a new town, and thought to myself 'I got through NYU this test will be fine.' I studied, barely got through the O'Sullivan book once. Failed in Oct. That was a rude awakening, the pressure was huge now on me and I refocused and studied non stop forsaking a lot of social and familial obligations. Didn't do as many practice tests as a should have because I felt I could manage just by studying material. The day of the test I panicked, got flustered and failed my second attempt.
This attempt I changed it all, I did review questions, exams, old PEATS, group study, and I enrolled in PT Final Exam online course, plus integrated mediation to control my nerves. My scores shot up, confidence and quality of study. O'Sullivan book is the best book I used, scorebuilders I found which I used for the second attempt was very vague. The Will Crane PT Final Exam Course was worth every penny, I found it to be incredibly helpful. My score improved by 64 points, I passed this last test with 18 questions more correct and a total score of 634. Good luck studying and stay calm.

Reactions: 2 users
So here is what I did for my first attempt in Oct, I moved my family, started my son in a new school in a new town, and thought to myself 'I got through NYU this test will be fine.' I studied, barely got through the O'Sullivan book once. Failed in Oct. That was a rude awakening, the pressure was huge now on me and I refocused and studied non stop forsaking a lot of social and familial obligations. Didn't do as many practice tests as a should have because I felt I could manage just by studying material. The day of the test I panicked, got flustered and failed my second attempt.
This attempt I changed it all, I did review questions, exams, old PEATS, group study, and I enrolled in PT Final Exam online course, plus integrated mediation to control my nerves. My scores shot up, confidence and quality of study. O'Sullivan book is the best book I used, scorebuilders I found which I used for the second attempt was very vague. The Will Crane PT Final Exam Course was worth every penny, I found it to be incredibly helpful. My score improved by 64 points, I passed this last test with 18 questions more correct and a total score of 634. Good luck studying and stay calm.
This was pretty much my story. Wow! I don't know my score yet tho!! how did u find out?

Reactions: 1 user

Hi you probably heard some of these common tips but they do work:

-Take at least 7-8 Exams (3 TED, 3 Scorebuilder, 2 PEAT) in full exam setting. If you do not receive at least 74% on PEAT I would postpone. PEAT is an amazing predictor.

-Don't solely rely on one book. For example, Therapy Ed is great and you could base most of studies on this. BUT NPTE will use several different book's such as Durton, Kisner, Red book. Make sure to look at pictures.

-Time management and organization. Organize a plan for 3 months in advance and get to detail for the next month. Ration out time evenly for % on Test. For example, Musclo and Neuro should have way more time devoted than other topics. Re-adjust game plan based on test results. In my wife's case she was very poor in intervention & Musclo so we put a lot more focus on that.

-Pocket Prep has a nice 450 questions on Phone App. (medium difficulty, solely based on Therapy ED).

-Finally don't have Fear. It is a hard test but you can miss about 65-68 questions and still pass (need somewhere between 132-135) as they scale score based on hardness of test.

Good luck!

Did u attend the will crane's live? Or the recorded one is already fine? Thanks and congrats!

Did u attend the will crane's live? Or the recorded one is already fine? Thanks and congrats!

I attended every life session, I recommend it, they are interactive and lots of practice questions that the instructors ask you throughout each session.

I have been giving this exam since long time.. tried all books and research.. but always same result fail with no change. sometimes I feels i choose wrong field. so much tired and frustrated...don't know what to do..

It seems like life is stuck with this NPTE and you cannot do anything else.. seems like they take out 50 questions which is always right.. so much frustration ...

For those who look at this thread in the future understand that the results trickle out all night, even into the morning. I didn't receive my results until 3am. Stay patient

Yes. And also for those who have already taken test more than 6 times and not eligible to take test anymore....do not give up. Just apply again and they will let you to to take test one more time. There seems to be no secret to passing.. you have to prepare ALOT. Study hard.

It seems like life is stuck with this NPTE and you cannot do anything else.. seems like they take out 50 questions which is always right.. so much frustration ...

Do not give up!!! Study smart. You don't need to study books cover to cover. Choose part of the books that is important.

I heard of someone who took NPTE 10 times until he passed. Hope you don't have to take it that much. Just study harder. Learn the materials by heart. Not memorizing.

Do not give up!!! Study smart. You don't need to study books cover to cover. Choose part of the books that is important.

I heard of someone who took NPTE 10 times until he passed. Hope you don't have to take it that much. Just study harder. Learn the materials by heart. Not memorizing.
I passed on 9th times, started to take test in 2013, i was not even eligible to take test anymore but they approved my application. So seriously never give up.
Stay focused, study hard. You do not need so many months/years to prepare but you need LASER FOCUS for few months. I heard some people even stay in a hotel for 3 months to prepare.

I have been giving this exam since long time.. tried all books and research.. but always same result fail with no change. sometimes I feels i choose wrong field. so much tired and frustrated...don't know what to do..

I have passed this exam on 9th attempt, so i know how it feels. Don't be frustrated. There's always light after the dark. You have to go through that dark place to get to it, but it's there,waiting for you.
Understand materials well. Buy all books needed. Having limited books was one of the reason i kept on failing.

For anyone who wants a reference point, here are my scores.

I studied about 180 hours total - about 20 before the first O'Sullivan's, about 70 between that and the first PEAT, and about 60 more between PEAT 1 and PEAT 2, and about 30 between PEAT 2 and the NPTE.

O'Sullivan's #1 (1/2017): 69.5%
PEAT 1 (3/2017): 623
O'Sullivan's #2 (3/2017): 70.5%
PEAT 2 (4/2017): 711
NPTE (4/2017): 755

Hi you probably heard some of these common tips but they do work:

-Finally don't have Fear. It is a hard test but you can miss about 65-68 questions and still pass (need somewhere between 132-135) as they scale score based on hardness of test.

Hi, I just took the exam and am looking for solace. Does this mean we can miss 65 questions plus the 50 they toss out?