Nova Southeastern University (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I probably wont go either :D

The cruise was a great experience to get to know both faculty and other students. I would highly recommend going! Everybody this year got two free drink tickets with any additional drinks being $5. If you don't like to drink, I'm sure your classmates would gladly take your tickets. I'm not much of a partier either, but I really enjoyed myself.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
wait its an actual cruise? how long? thatsounds fun, i thought by booze cruise they meant like a bar hop

I know right? I'm kind of not sure how to feel about it. I don't drink or party and so I feel like I'm missing an opportunity to really get to know some of the faculty by not participating.

I will gladly take your drink tickets

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
wait its an actual cruise? how long? thatsounds fun, i thought by booze cruise they meant like a bar hop

There is an actual bar crawl- usually after the first set of major exams. Lots of fun!

Reactions: 2 users
NSU hated my app so much that they sent me two letters this application cycle informing me that I was rejected....

At least you got something aside from that hold letter months back. I'm still waiting for my rejection letter.

Hello! I have a question for current first years. What are the dates for the Fall/Winter/Summer semester? My sister's getting married next summer and I'm trying to figure out the summer schedule because I want to make sure school doesn't conflict with her wedding! Thanks :)

Did anyone who was accepted/alternated make a visit to campus or attend an open house prior to II? I applied early in the cycle and haven't heard a thing all cycle despite an update letter, and I called several times to check my app status and was only told it was "pending." It was suggested to me by a work acquaintance who was accepted to multiple other schools this cycle (not Nova specifically, but multiple DO and MD) that I would need to make a campus visit in-person to "prove I'm interested" in order to receive an II, and I just wanted to know if there is substance to this claim. Obviously it's a bit late now to run to Ft. Lauderdale to try to ingratiate myself to the admissions committee, but I don't think it's likely that they expect applicants to visit campus in order to earn an II, especially OOS candidates. I was invited to interview elsewhere with absolutely no contact with the school other than my secondary, and my only campus "visit" was the interview (accepted). Thoughts?

You absolutely don't need to visit any campus unless you live couple minutes away from school. Not getting response from schools is part of the normal cycle of application. Some schools will send out interviews, some wont, some will reject your pre or post secondary. As long as you have competitive stats plus volunteering experience you should be fine.

Did anyone who was accepted/alternated make a visit to campus or attend an open house prior to II? I applied early in the cycle and haven't heard a thing all cycle despite an update letter, and I called several times to check my app status and was only told it was "pending." It was suggested to me by a work acquaintance who was accepted to multiple other schools this cycle (not Nova specifically, but multiple DO and MD) that I would need to make a campus visit in-person to "prove I'm interested" in order to receive an II, and I just wanted to know if there is substance to this claim. Obviously it's a bit late now to run to Ft. Lauderdale to try to ingratiate myself to the admissions committee, but I don't think it's likely that they expect applicants to visit campus in order to earn an II, especially OOS candidates. I was invited to interview elsewhere with absolutely no contact with the school other than my secondary, and my only campus "visit" was the interview (accepted). Thoughts?

I was accepted and have never stepped foot on Novas campus other than the interview. My husband attended undergrad in FL and has visited MANY times over the past few years and sent multiple "update" letters throughout this cycle and was not interviewed. I don't think it makes a huge difference. Or maybe they just think he's weird idk

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
A follow up email got me my interview. I think they said they would be done with interviews by now though. Definitely worth sitting with an advisor and breaking down your app to make sure you haven't missed anything to build it up. On campus visit isn't weird or anything, and could help a little, but don't assume it'll solve everything.

Reactions: 1 users
I was accepted and have never stepped foot on Novas campus other than the interview. My husband attended undergrad in FL and has visited MANY times over the past few years and sent multiple "update" letters throughout this cycle and was not interviewed. I don't think it makes a huge difference. Or maybe they just think he's weird idk

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
The process is quite random. I graduated from NSU and was active on campus and I didn't even receive an II from the school.

A follow up email got me my interview. I think they said they would be done with interviews by now though. Definitely worth sitting with an advisor and breaking down your app to make sure you haven't missed anything to build it up. On campus visit isn't weird or anything, and could help a little, but don't assume it'll solve everything.

Just wanted to confirm that they are done interviewing, last group was interviewed April 12th. I also got an II after following up with the Admissions Coordinator Dr. Dave Buchanan via e-mail several times. I don't know if that was the cause or just dumb luck that they sent the II a few days after my last follow up e-mail to him near the end of March.

Just wanted to confirm that they are done interviewing, last group was interviewed April 12th. I also got an II after following up with the Admissions Coordinator Dr. Dave Buchanan via e-mail several times. I don't know if that was the cause or just dumb luck that they sent the II a few days after my last follow up e-mail to him near the end of March.
When you guys say II, do you mean secondary? Or does II mean interview invite? Hope anyone on the wait list is able to get off if they really desire to attend Nova. Best of luck to everyone!

The cruise and bar crawl are organized separately. The cruise is actually put on by NSU-COM. I remember it being sometime during the week of orientation. I wouldn't say it was an entirely GREAT opportunity to meet faculty but the opportunity is there. You wouldn't be missing out on meeting faculty by not going. Where you would miss out, is meeting new med students and enjoying a cool little cruise (and free drinks) through the intracoastal of Ft. Lauderdale. I would highly recommend.

As for the bar crawl, that is put on by your classmates or even M2s. I think mine, two years ago now, was at the end of the first week. I didn't personally go because its not really my thing but I remember a lot of people enjoying themselves when they did go.

Any waitlist movement? and does anyone know if interviews are done?

Any waitlist movement? and does anyone know if interviews are done?
Interviews are done. I'm not entirely sure there will be waitlist movement prior to this last group finding out their fate (because seats are still available), around the first week of may.

Interviews are done. I'm not entirely sure there will be waitlist movement prior to this last group finding out their fate (because seats are still available), around the first week of may.

Do you know if the first week of May is the next time decisions will be sent out? I interviewed 3/16 and I don't think anyone from my interview group has heard back yet (based on the posts in this thread atleast)

Do you know if the first week of May is the next time decisions will be sent out? I interviewed 3/16 and I don't think anyone from my interview group has heard back yet (based on the posts in this thread atleast)

For what its worth, we have been on spring break over the past week and are just getting going again so you may start seeing some decisions being made.

I'm not too sure about this. I would assume you'd hear back sooner, but at the last batch of interviews we were told the next time the adcom would meet is may 2nd. I am not sure if they met prior to last batch of interviews

Just resist the urge to hook up with anyone on the cruise. It's a long 4 years. You don't need to make it longer by pulling a smash and grab on day 7 or by drinking too much and showing the dean your dick.

Just resist the urge to hook up with anyone on the cruise. It's a long 4 years. You don't need to make it longer by pulling a smash and grab on day 7 or by drinking too much and showing the dean your dick.
Aaaaand I'm out. I'm a Mormon dude, I really don't do well around that kind of stuff. I'll go to galas and stuff with open bars, but not frat party type junk.

Aaaaand I'm out. I'm a Mormon dude, I really don't do well around that kind of stuff. I'll go to galas and stuff with open bars, but not frat party type junk.
Need more chill.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Maybe I do

I wouldn't necessarily take the last comment about the cruise as a matter of fact. I think its largely who you talk to and what you do when you are there. I went two years ago and just enjoyed a drink, met some people, talked to some faculty. I really enjoyed it all in all and didn't partake in what little bit of excessive drinking there was going on there. Ultimately you can make it whatever you want.

I wouldn't necessarily take the last comment about the cruise as a matter of fact. I think its largely who you talk to and what you do when you are there. I went two years ago and just enjoyed a drink, met some people, talked to some faculty. I really enjoyed it all in all and didn't partake in what little bit of excessive drinking there was going on there. Ultimately you can make it whatever you want.
I appreciate you bringing that up, thank you.

I'm assuming the Miami Dolphins players and cheerleaders will also be on the cruise?

I'm creeping on the nova Facebook page and seen someone I interviewed with that just got added...

From what I've heard, this school does silent rejections until 1st week of may, then they'll send you an official waitlist/rejection letter. That said, considering they've sent out acceptances from the April 6th interview date, if you haven't heard back yet you're likely in the same boat as I am :laugh::laugh::zip::rofl::woot:

From what I've heard, this school does silent rejections until 1st week of may, then they'll send you an official waitlist/rejection letter. That said, considering they've sent out acceptances from the April 6th interview date, if you haven't heard back yet you're likely in the same boat as I am :laugh::laugh::zip::rofl::woot:
God I really don't want to repeat another cycle...I'm gonna be old balls before I get in.

Waitlisted by mail (letter dated 4/18) after interviewing on 4/12... the wait continuessss... :whistle:

So if I haven't heard anything is it safe to assume I got rejected?