Nova Southeastern University (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed March 7th and haven't heard anything yet.... should I assume thats a bad sign?

Anyone else in the same boat?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!

Considering we're coming towards the end of the admissions cycle and NSU should probably be done with interviews in the next month or so, has anyone who's been waitlisted since a while back heard anything from the school? And also to clarify the people who got referred to as the "alternate candidates" are those who have been waitlisted, correct? Insights on waitlist are welcomed!

Last edited:
Hey guys!

Considering we're coming towards the end of the admissions cycle and NSU should probably be done with interviews in the next month or so, has anyone who's been waitlisted since a while back heard anything from the school? And also to clarify the people who got referred to as the "alternate candidates" are those who have been waitlisted, correct? Insights on waitlist are welcomed!

I interviewed on 8/25/2016 and was waitlisted on 9/15/2016- haven't heard a peep since. I've been to quite a few interviews this cycle but my luck has been to be perpetually waitlisted by all except two: UIW (rejected) and RVU-SU (accepted). I was really hoping to hear back from NSU since I live <20 mins away, but so far it's like a long game of chess.

I interviewed on 8/25/2016 and was waitlisted on 9/15/2016- haven't heard a peep since. I've been to quite a few interviews this cycle but my luck has been to be perpetually waitlisted by all except two: UIW (rejected) and RVU-SU (accepted). I was really hoping to hear back from NSU since I live <20 mins away, but so far it's like a long game of chess.

In the same boat friend! Have faith!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys!

Hey guys. I interviewed in early September, got alternative listed in mid October, and then sent in an LOI shortly after because Nova was my top choice. I then got accepted off of the alternative list on December 15th, the day after the initial deposits were due! Usually the list movement occurs later in the year for Nova, but I'm grateful for getting off of it so early, so keep your hope up everyone!

Hey guys. I interviewed in early September, got alternative listed in mid October, and then sent in an LOI shortly after because Nova was my top choice. I then got accepted off of the alternative list on December 15th, the day after the initial deposits were due! Usually the list movement occurs later in the year for Nova, but I'm grateful for getting off of it so early, so keep your hope up everyone!
Wow thats amazing! I never knew anybody was pulled off the waitlist until April! Looks like I need to assume NOVA isn't going to pull me off the waitlist.

Oh wow that's great. Kudos to you!

Has anyone received an II without a physician recommendation letter?

Oh and I also wanted to ask if when they finally took you off the list and accepted you how did they contact you about it? just wondering!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh and I also wanted to ask if when they finally took you off the list and accepted you how did they contact you about it? just wondering!

They just sent me the standard email containing the acceptance video that everyone seems to have gotten as well. There was nothing special mentioning the alternative list.

Hey guys!

Yes, I have to assume so. I just got my snail mail letter letting me know I'm an "alternate". Interviewed March 7th

July 31st classes begin
December 17th to January 2nd winter break
Spring break at the same time as broward county public schools
May 6 classes end
2nd year starts at the beginning of July

Hi, were you able to confirm this with an admission's counselor? I was told different dates...

July 31st classes begin
December 17th to January 2nd winter break
Spring break at the same time as broward county public schools
May 6 classes end
2nd year starts at the beginning of July

Thanks but do you a link to an official calendar?

still don't see anything posted about their match list for this year... would really like to see it if anyone has it!!

Just want to write a short little post for the upcoming interviewers about my personal experience for interview day!

So i interviewed on march 7th and here is my personal experience

I got to florida a day early and spent that day finding the location of the interview site. I highly suggest doing this because the school is huge you want to get there on time (one kid walked in 30min late on interview day) and two, it gives you an opportunity to meet the admissions staff a day ahead of time. I introduced myself the day before and It really helped differentiating me from everyone else.

So the day of the interview the entire admissions staff make you feel so welcome and they are so bubbly and happy. They really did a great job alleviating nerves and jitters. So they will get all the applicants in a room and you will do an icebreaker activity which is cool because you hear a lot of different off the wall hobbies and things from your future classmates. After this half of the people will interview and the rest will go on a tour with a student.

If you get to go on the tour first consider yourself lucky (was what happened in my case) the student tour guide literally coached us on what to say and how to just relax and not be nervous. He was awesome and literally coached us on things to say so by the time i got to the interview i was able to direct the convo towards things i knew the admissions staff was looking for.

So the interview itself was actually pretty stressful for me. It depends on who you get. For the most part the interview is veryyyy laid back (not in my case) The two people I got grilled me for any weaknesses in my application THIS IS DONE ON PURPOSE. Whatever happens you need to relax and show how you grew as a person from those weak aspects in your application. I walked out of the interview and felt like it went terribly and i just wanted to leave. But the interview isn't finished. You will get the opportunity to meet other doctors and faculty during the Skills lab demonstration. It is of utmost importance that you are respectful and a team player during these interactions because they are also watching and observing how you interact.

After the skills lab was lunch (which was amazing) and during lunch you will see a presentation about NSU and the Dean will make a visit and come talk to the applicants. Not much to say about this part, honestly if you have questions ask but if you don't just sit there and listen. After lunch you will then go on a tour of the entire campus. During the tour is the time to relax and just say you made it. At this point the interview is over.

After the interview i sent personalized thank you letters to each person i interacted with and surprisingly i received responses back from everyone. I think that shows they read them and its just one more thing that sets you apart (especially if the thank you note is super personalized and not generic)

If anybody has any questions please let me know!

Reactions: 3 users
Ok so any accepted students
i have sent in all the forms from the admissions packet, i updated FAFSA, I paid the deposit today, and I sent in final transcripts. My question is when do i setup the shark pass email thing?
And am i missing anything else?

Thanks but do you a link to an official calendar?

I don't. I called the Nova general line for that exact reason and they told me that they don't post their academic calendars on the website "because there are too many different schools with different dates."

Like white coat ceremony, orientation, class start date, break dates, etc. Can't find any of these dates online or in that link. They'll probably send it at some point but I was wondering if anyone had it so I could see it sooner

First off, congrats to those who got accepted already! I just want to add a little information to the incoming M1s.

Once you get closer to July/August the emails will start rolling in with information on what to expect, when to be where, and what you need to have turned in by the start of the semester! My biggest piece of advice is if the school sends you a deadline on when to have something turned it, make sure to have it in by the deadline! There are terribly strict on that sort of thing! That includes final transcripts and all the doctors/vaccination forms they want filled out.

Ok so any accepted students
i have sent in all the forms from the admissions packet, i updated FAFSA, I paid the deposit today, and I sent in final transcripts. My question is when do i setup the shark pass email thing?
And am i missing anything else?
I was able to set up my email. It was NOT easy though. I just googled "NSU retrieve shark ID" and I was kind of able to go from there. So far the emails have been just general school advertisements, but I have received a few emails about documents being received and such. Good luck!
Get your sharklink info ---> My NSU Identity
Set up your email ---> SharkMail Email Setup Instructions

Hey guys, im interested in applying to NOVA this upcoming application cycle, and was wondering where I could get the application stats from the people in this thread. Has it already been compiled earlier in this thread?

Also, does a very high mcat score balance out a low GPA for a school like NOVA, in your opinions?

TIA.

Hey guys, im interested in applying to NOVA this upcoming application cycle, and was wondering where I could get the application stats from the people in this thread. Has it already been compiled earlier in this thread?

Also, does a very high mcat score balance out a low GPA for a school like NOVA, in your opinions?

TIA.

I had low GPA (3.4) and MCAT (502) and still got in so I think they review holistically.

I had low GPA (3.4) and MCAT (502) and still got in so I think they review holistically.

okay, thanks. what would you point to if you were asked why you were accepted? anything really special?

Are you a florida resident? Thanks.

TIA.

I had 3.4 and a 505 mcat

okay, thanks. what would you point to if you were asked why you were accepted? anything really special?

Are you a florida resident? Thanks.

Some interviewers at other schools said my LORs and personal statement were really compelling. Had some interesting non-medical jobs before becoming pre-med. Yes FL resident. Also I had a 3.9 in grad school. Undergrad grades were garbage bc went to a top 20 school for 2 years and honestly it was too hard for me. Worked as EMT and scribe at DO-dominated hospital so had a good answer for "experience working with DOs" question. You will be fine. Don't worry.

TIA.

I think Nova likes scribes - At least half of my interview group, including myself, were scribes. They definitely review holistically. Also, how low? I think 3.2 would be around the minimum

I think Nova likes scribes - At least half of my interview group, including myself, were scribes. They definitely review holistically. Also, how low? I think 3.2 would be around the minimum

I was a scribe for about 3 months, but couldn't continue because it was about 1.5 hours drive, and I was having transportation issues (not to mention the price I was paying just for gas). Don't know if they're going to view that as an excuse, and dock me points for it, but I know that I learned a ton from it. Primarily just what exactly an ER doctor's day looks like. So I'd say I got enough exposure in that respect.

Yea, GPA will be around 3.2-3.3, unfortunately. Hoping to "redeem" myself with my MCAT score.

Do you know if they care about work experience? I've worked 40+ hours for my entire college career, and I'm hoping they'll give me some brownie points for that.

I'll stop hijacking the thread now, but if anyone else would like to throw in their input, I'd very much appreciate it!

How long does it take to get your financial aid package after acceptance? I sent in all my acceptance forms and the deposits already. Any information would be helpful, thank you!

I interviewed 2/9 and STILL have not received any decision. How is that possible. Is anyone in a similar situation?

II received for April 12th, almost jumped out of my chair! I thought the interview season was done for them. :nailbiting:

Reactions: 2 users
has anyone received decision from 03/16 interview yet?

I gave up my acceptance here today. Good luck everyone!

I was a scribe for about 3 months, but couldn't continue because it was about 1.5 hours drive, and I was having transportation issues (not to mention the price I was paying just for gas). Don't know if they're going to view that as an excuse, and dock me points for it, but I know that I learned a ton from it. Primarily just what exactly an ER doctor's day looks like. So I'd say I got enough exposure in that respect.

Yea, GPA will be around 3.2-3.3, unfortunately. Hoping to "redeem" myself with my MCAT score.

Do you know if they care about work experience? I've worked 40+ hours for my entire college career, and I'm hoping they'll give me some brownie points for that.

I'll stop hijacking the thread now, but if anyone else would like to throw in their input, I'd very much appreciate it!
I had a 3.1 GPA and 501 MCAT, which included an academic suspension and like 11 F's, but I have a 3.8 Post-bacc and 4.0 graduate GPA as well as 10 years medical experience. I was told 3.0 is their threshold and that they stick by it. I'm not a FL resident. I can honestly say Nova made a really sincere effort to get to know me and treated me with a lot of respect. It's actually a big part in why I'm going there even though I was accepted at the school where I did my masters. Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
I had my money on decision today based on prior posts, but I guess I was wrong. This waiting game is hard. has anyone heard from 3.16?

Well... orientation starts 7/31, and white coat is 8/6. Not sure if that whole week is in different variations of orientation, or if we actually start classes.

Orientation lasts a week. The days are long, full of presentations from faculty and students. It gives you time to meet everybody from your society and classmates. If I remember correctly classes really don't start up until the week after. Its basically like "syllabus week" in college. The week does end with a booze cruise though in Fort Lauderdale with faculty and students!

Does anyone know if the alternate list at Nova sees much movement? And if so when?

Orientation lasts a week. The days are long, full of presentations from faculty and students. It gives you time to meet everybody from your society and classmates. If I remember correctly classes really don't start up until the week after. Its basically like "syllabus week" in college. The week does end with a booze cruise though in Fort Lauderdale with faculty and students!
Wait what was that last part

Reactions: 4 users
I know right? I'm kind of not sure how to feel about it. I don't drink or party and so I feel like I'm missing an opportunity to really get to know some of the faculty by not participating.
I probably wont go either :D