Nova Southeastern University (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also interviewed here recently and heard the same statistics regarding the amount of primaries(10-11k), secondaries (7-8k, 5.5k met req.), and interviews (500-550). My question is this... if the class size is 248 students, and schools usually accept 2-3x as many people as will eventually matriculate, wouldn't that mean that 90+% of people that interview there get in?

does anyone have information about your chances of acceptance post interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Cancelled my interview on Mar 7. Hope it will come to one of those who are waiting!

I don't know if it was yours, but I got an invitation the day before so thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
I also interviewed here recently and heard the same statistics regarding the amount of primaries(10-11k), secondaries (7-8k, 5.5k met req.), and interviews (500-550). My question is this... if the class size is 248 students, and schools usually accept 2-3x as many people as will eventually matriculate, wouldn't that mean that 90+% of people that interview there get in?

does anyone have information about your chances of acceptance post interview?

I would assume 80%+ between regular and waitlist acceptances. I'm thinking around 350 regular plus 100 waitlist....just speculation though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the mysterious video email. Seems like acceptances are going out. I interviewed around three weeks ago.

Reactions: 3 users
I just got a welcome message from dean?

Haha that is the mysterious email I mentioned. You (and I) got accepted.

Reactions: 1 users
Got accepted! Interviewed 2/14

Reactions: 4 users
I guess I'm taking my talents down to south beach.

Reactions: 1 users
Based on all these acceptances it looks like a high percentage of interviewees are accepted!

Congrats to those accepted. Also interviewed 3 weeks ago but didn't hear back today. Stats? And will you all be matriculating here for sure?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone who got accepted feel like the interview went poorly or just ok after the interview?
Like i had two women for my interview and they were like stone cold the whole time and just didn't want the interview to go for very long. They grilled me on why i got a C. I mean the only response i had was that i essentially owned up to it and I used that moment to look back and learn from my failure in those classes. Idk i just felt like that i got put into a corner and made it look like i had to fail to succeed

Last edited:
I got why osteopathic. Discussed personal experiences and discussions with DO I shadowed about DO differences. No grades or MCAT was brought up despite a 124 in one section and many F's (though all A's in prereqs and overall GPA is okay).

I thought the interview went great and the rest of the day went okay. The interview was awesome. The most relaxed and cool of all of mine.

I don't want to dox myself too badly with stats (and other stuff I've said). I'd say I'm almost exactly at their "competitive" levels for MCAT and GPA listed in the FAQ.

Did you get accepted, FIT_MD2BE?

I'd say I'm 70% sure I'll attend. It is the most established school I got accepted to, but that $$$...

I got why osteopathic. Discussed personal experiences and discussions with DO I shadowed about DO differences. No grades or MCAT was brought up despite a 124 in one section and many F's (though all A's in prereqs and overall GPA is okay).

I thought the interview went great and the rest of the day went okay. The interview was awesome. The most relaxed and cool of all of mine.

I don't want to dox myself too badly with stats (and other stuff I've said). I'd say I'm almost exactly at their "competitive" levels for MCAT and GPA listed in the FAQ.

I'd say I'm 70% sure I'll attend. It is the most established school I got accepted to, but that $$$...

I interviewed on tuesday. And no the interview from the outset was pretty hostile. Like one of the ladies kept looking at the clock before i even said a word. And like when it was my time to ask questions she like cut me off mid way through a question and ended the interview.
I seriously wish i got the questions you had!
I got 3 C in college and i retook two of them at the same school and got A's in both. The last class they stopped offering at my school and so couldn't retake that. And I have A's in all pre req!
Had to take the mcat twice did poor the first time
but killed it the second time.
They asked me zero things about research, paramedic experience, shadowing, or even why NSU, or Why DO.
The way i see it
it could be a good thing or a very bad thing lol

Accepted :soexcited: Interviewed 2/14 as well

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone get the "why osteopathic medicine?" question in their interview? if so, what did you say?

Bro. I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday let alone last month. But from what I can tell you, they asked particular questions from my file.

Does anyone know the dates for orientation and when classes begin?

Same boat. Most established school but that price tag and leaving in Fort Lauderdale is scary.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm from the area and I'm offended it's a great place to live haha

3.92 508

May reject the offer

What other schools are you considering? I saw a thread awhile back about how you hadn't received any interviews. Sounds like things have turned around for you!

What other schools are you considering? I saw a thread awhile back about how you hadn't received any interviews. Sounds like things have turned around for you!
Hi! Nova was only one of two schools that offered me an interview, the other interview was for ACOM (I will be rejecting this interview since I have been accepted to Nova). Nova was not my top choice and I am fairly young so I am considering retaking the MCAT and applying again next cycle and hopefully getting in somewhere that is of more interest to me. Nova is an amazing school and I am so very grateful for getting accepted and I know people would love to be in my position, but I do not want to look back later in life and feel like I compromised on where I want to go for medical school.

Hi! Nova was only one of two schools that offered me an interview, the other interview was for ACOM (I will be rejecting this interview since I have been accepted to Nova). Nova was not my top choice and I am fairly young so I am considering retaking the MCAT and applying again next cycle and hopefully getting in somewhere that is of more interest to me. Nova is an amazing school and I am so very grateful for getting accepted and I know people would love to be in my position, but I do not want to look back later in life and feel like I compromised on where I want to go for medical school.

risky choice to reject a med school acceptance to reapply. schools may see that you have been accepted in the past and question it. thats what ive heard. you might want to post about your dilemma in the forums and hope someone like @Goro answers your question

risky choice to reject a med school acceptance to reapply. schools may see that you have been accepted in the past and question it. thats what ive heard. you might want to post about your dilemma in the forums and hope someone like @Goro answers your question

I'd have to agree. Really do your research before making this decision. Remember that applications may ask if you have previously been admitted to a medical school, to which you'd have to answer yes raising a red flag. Best of luck figuring out your next step!

I just got a welcome message from dean?
Does anybody know what to expect in the case of a rejection. Interviewed 2/9 and still haven't heard anything. Will I still get an email? Have people gotten official acceptances from this time frame or just the secret dean email

I suggest that you withdraw your acceptance immediately, and allow the seat to go to someone who really wants to be a doctor, because you obviously do not.

And in the next cycle, only apply to schools that interest you., and you would be willing to attend if accepted.

Reactions: 5 users

NSUCOM is a good school. Few schools offer research and learning opportunities as vast as NSU.

You risk not receiving interview invitations next cycle.

out of curiosity what would be your school of choice?

I suggest that you withdraw your acceptance immediately, and allow the seat to go to someone who really wants to be a doctor, because you obviously do not.

And in the next cycle, only apply to schools that interest you., and you would be willing to attend if accepted.
I respect your opinion, but truly do not believe that my decision here has anything to do with my desire to become a doctor. It should not and does not negate all of my actions prior that have be in pursuit of becoming a doctor. I will agree that it was a poor decision for me to apply to a school I was not thoroughly interested in.

out of curiosity what would be your school of choice?
I am an undergraduate at USF and have researched at Morsani and have really gotten to know and fall in love with the college and the people there in my time at USF. I know I will regret my decision if I do not at least try one more time to get in

As I said, give up the acceptance, and good luck to you.

BTW, med schools do ask about prior acceptances.

I respect your opinion, but truly do not believe that my decision here has anything to do with my desire to become a doctor. It should not and does not negate all of my actions prior that have be in pursuit of becoming a doctor. I will agree that it was a poor decision for me to apply to a school I was not thoroughly interested in.

Last edited:
I am an undergraduate at USF and have researched at Morsani and have really gotten to know and fall in love with the college and the people there in my time at USF. I know I will regret my decision if I do not at least try one more time to get in

You might regret your decision even more if you turn down a spot at one of the top DO schools in the country and fail to get into medical school next cycle.

did anyone get rejected or waitlisted by email from nova or was it just by mail. Has anyone been accepted just by mail and not email?

Sense of entitlement is an interesting psychological aspect that truly back fires on people nearly every time. Agree with @Goro give up your seat to someone who does and WILL succeed as a doctor. It sounds like if you end up taking the spot at NSUcom you run the risk of hating yourself, the school, your peers and maybe even thoughts of suicide due to your poor choices and entitlement attitude. No one can make you OR tell you what you should do. If you're adult enough to apply to medical school, you're adult enough to take responsibility for your actions and in turn, the consequences. Best of luck on your journey, its going to be a bumpy on.

Sense of entitlement is an interesting psychological aspect that truly back fires on people nearly every time. Agree with @Goro give up your seat to someone who does and WILL succeed as a doctor. It sounds like if you end up taking the spot at NSUcom you run the risk of hating yourself, the school, your peers and maybe even thoughts of suicide due to your poor choices and entitlement attitude. No one can make you OR tell you what you should do. If you're adult enough to apply to medical school, you're adult enough to take responsibility for your actions and in turn, the consequences. Best of luck on your journey, its going to be a bumpy on.

Sounds a bit extreme...

Needed to be extreme so the poster won't make the major, major mistake of doing a reapplication cycle again.

There are legitimate reasons to turn down a DO acceptance and gun for an MD. Especially if OP has a 3.92 and 508 MCAT. More opportunities for specializing, better chances for residency locations, etc.

It's a personal decision and isn't as cut and dry as you're making it sound. I personally know someone who applied MD only, got rejected after interviewing and getting waitlisted. Re-applied the second year to both MD and DO, got 2 MD acceptances + a few DO's.

I respect what you're trying to do but what makes you think that you'll be able to get into USF applying as a reapplicant in the next cycle?