Not sure when to take DAT...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chiralola

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m planning to take the DAT in August. Once this semester is over, I’ll have finished all of my pre-reqs (Biology 1+2, Gen Chem, Orgo) plus Cell Biology. I am going to study for 10 weeks this summer before taking the exam, and I’ll be going off of this.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/datbootcamp/Ari'sStudySchedule.pdf

I have contemplated waiting to take it until December, and take Biochemistry, Genetics and Human Physiology next semester so I will be more prepared. But the way I see it, is that I’m going to forget all the general classes, and I’m going to be learning in much more in depth than is necessary for the DAT. Plus I can just teach myself the things I don’t know by watching videos online etc.

I really think I can do it if I focus and study hard over the summer, but I would like to know your opinion and any suggestions you may have. I would really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

When are you planning on applying? If you finished all your pre-reqs and are applying this summer, I'd take the exam over the summer. Even if you're applying next year I'd probably opt to take the exam this summer when you're not as busy with classes. Those classes you mentioned will help you, but they're not necessary.

When are you planning on applying? If you finished all your pre-reqs and are applying this summer, I'd take the exam over the summer. Even if you're applying next year I'd probably opt to take the exam this summer when you're not as busy with classes. Those classes you mentioned will help you, but they're not necessary.

I'll be finishing my sophomore year after this semester so I'll be applying in a year. That's what I was also thinking, I'll be more busy, why not do it now

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m planning to take the DAT in August. Once this semester is over, I’ll have finished all of my pre-reqs (Biology 1+2, Gen Chem, Orgo) plus Cell Biology. I am going to study for 10 weeks this summer before taking the exam, and I’ll be going off of this.

I have contemplated waiting to take it until December, and take Biochemistry, Genetics and Human Physiology next semester so I will be more prepared. But the way I see it, is that I’m going to forget all the general classes, and I’m going to be learning in much more in depth than is necessary for the DAT. Plus I can just teach myself the things I don’t know by watching videos online etc.

I really think I can do it if I focus and study hard over the summer, but I would like to know your opinion and any suggestions you may have. I would really appreciate it!

I agree with your logic and plan. Take the DAT while the classes are still fresh in your your mind, especially Organic Chemistry and I assume you are just finishing Orgo 2. Biochemistry is another tough class and with your DAT completed , you will be able to focus on your classes next semester. What is your current science GPA?

Nancy

Of course, you should take it when you are ready, but taking it in summer, without taking any class at school is the best time.
Please don't take classes while you prepare for the DAT, No part time job, no full-time job, nothing but the DAT and gym ( if you want to volunteer, volunteer on your off day)
so you make sure you can get the best score you can get.

ari's study schedule is good (been done by many people before and they scored well). I suggest you add a more comprehensive bio notes material on top of cliffnotes like mine or feralis's. Cliffnotes is a good primary material to learn biology, but you'll want to supplement with mine or feralis's for more in depth content review

the level of biology tested is mostly at the "AP biology/intro college biology" level + some random facts (hence you want to use my notes or feralis's for the random facts)