Not sure how to ask for letter from podiatrist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amar314

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been shadowing for a couple weeks now and I'm applying in August so I need to ask my pod for a letter. The issue is that in his practice he does not have his own office so there is never any privacy, I'm either in the room with him with a patient or in the front desk area with 3+ assistants.

I was thinking of emailing him because I don't want to ask him in front of a bunch of people. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Email is probably OK. He may think you're weird for not asking directly, but then again he may not.

Asking him in front of the staff is definitely OK. Your pod at least should know the deal since he's been through this all before. They're probably expecting you to ask for a letter of recommendation at some point.

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
All doctors usually expect it because they've been through the same thing.

It'd be weird if you didn't ask him to be honest.

Staff don't care. They are too busy swamped with phone calls, insurances, labs, a bajillion other things to pay attention to a shadow asking for a rec letter.

And if they do, petty.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fine I guess I'll have to suck it up :( did you guys know your pod very well before asking? I only go once a week and It's been like a 6 weeks but I want to have the letter by August. Should I wait?

Fine I guess I'll have to suck it up :( did you guys know your pod very well before asking? I only go once a week and It's been like a 6 weeks but I want to have the letter by August. Should I wait?

Wanted to chime in here, since I was in your position last year when I was applying! I also shadowed once a week for about a whole semester, which is about 13-ish weeks. I would say it's totally fine to ask them at this point, because you want give them enough time to write it since they can be super busy and you want them to take their time in writing the best letter possible for you! I don't think the staff will care either, but if it makes you uncomfortable, then maybe send a brief e-mail asking to set aside a moment to ask them in person? That's just what I did, but whichever floats your boat. Hope this helped :)

I did not know my podiatrist very long, about 1.5 months and I had no issues asking him for a letter. Like said above, most understand why you are there to shadow and probably expect most people shadowing to ask for letters. Now whether they think you are worthy of a letter or not is a different story lol

Quality over quantity.

Send them your resume, personal statement, and a brief description of any extenuating circumstances/ significant life story you want them to know to get them to better represent you.

Mention you will be sending them material to aid the process.

Reactions: 1 user
He will more than likely be more than happy to write you a letter. It will probably make him feel good that you admire him enough to ask. I would be direct and ask him in person though. Just ask at the end of the day when you are shaking his hand. I don't think it will matter if his assistants are around, but do not ask while with a patient.

This is not about asking a pod, but I am last minute freaking out about letters of rec. In the spring I had asked my biochemistry professor for a letter and that one is god to go but I also asked my kinesiology professor (she taught me medical terminology, but the class consisted of anatomy, physiology, and knowing specifics about diseases). I am scared that this may not count as a science professor. I developed a good relationship with her since it was only about a 30 person class. Making good relationships with professors is hard to come by at my school, I have not had a science class with less than 250 people in it (including my 400 level classes). Would this count if I am able to talk about how much science is in the class or would they automatically not count it because of the name of the class.

This is not about asking a pod, but I am last minute freaking out about letters of rec. In the spring I had asked my biochemistry professor for a letter and that one is god to go but I also asked my kinesiology professor (she taught me medical terminology, but the class consisted of anatomy, physiology, and knowing specifics about diseases). I am scared that this may not count as a science professor. I developed a good relationship with her since it was only about a 30 person class. Making good relationships with professors is hard to come by at my school, I have not had a science class with less than 250 people in it (including my 400 level classes). Would this count if I am able to talk about how much science is in the class or would they automatically not count it because of the name of the class.

Professor taught you (check)
Professor taught in science related field (check)
Name of the class doesn't matter.

Not sure what you're worried about.
The rec letter is for them to write about you. Not the other way around.

I agree with what was said above. The name doesn't matter, the quality of the letter is what counts and how well you did in the class, as well as how well the professor knows the kind of student you are.

Yes thank you. I think I was having a slight panic earlier since the deadline is coming up but you guys are correct. I think I panicked because when applying for a committee letter at my school they just made it sound very complicated.

Professor taught you (check)
Professor taught in science related field (check)
Name of the class doesn't matter.

Not sure what you're worried about.
The rec letter is for them to write about you. Not the other way around.

I agree with what was said above. The name doesn't matter, the quality of the letter is what counts and how well you did in the class, as well as how well the professor knows the kind of student you are.

NewYes thank you. I think I was having a slight panic earlier since the deadline is coming up but you guys are correct. I think I panicked because when applying for a committee letter at my school they just made it sound very complicated.

"Hey, can you write me a letter of rec for pod school?" ---that's how

Thank you everybody!! I wasn't able to do it yesterday :/ but I'm hoping to do it the next time I go probably 7/12. I was originally planning on saying the deadline was in August but that doesn't seem like enough time. Is a month too little?
I thought the pod letter was pretty simple and just needed to confirm I had shadowed?

Thank you everybody!! I wasn't able to do it yesterday :/ but I'm hoping to do it the next time I go probably 7/12. I was originally planning on saying the deadline was in August but that doesn't seem like enough time. Is a month too little?
I thought the pod letter was pretty simple and just needed to confirm I had shadowed?
It depends how busy/organized your pod is. Mine was not very busy, but very forgetful and took him two months to submit mine.

I just went up to my podiatrist's office and asked him haha. He was reluctant at first but then I told him that he was my favorite pod to shadow and then he was like okay :). Understand that some podiatrists are just very busy and you may have to ask multiple podiatrists, because podiatrists don't want to write a poor letter that has their name on it, so it takes a lot of extra time out of their schedules.

The two podiatrists I asked for had absolutely no issue with writing me one. Like others said, it's really no big deal. I was pretty nervous asking for them, but they graciously agreed.

Guys!!! I was finally able to ask for the letter today. Haha...goodness it's taken me too long but I really did not like having to ask in a room full of people. I went in earlier than usual today and he was by himself and happily said yes to writing the letter.

Thank you all for the great advice :)

And as for the time I'm spending shadowing the same doc-- for me it's been really valuable. I am learning so many things and really enjoy seeing some of the same patients week after week. If my city were bigger I might venture out to shadow other docs later but for now this is a great experience.

Guys!!! I was finally able to ask for the letter today. Haha...goodness it's taken me too long but I really did not like having to ask in a room full of people. I went in earlier than usual today and he was by himself and happily said yes to writing the letter.

Thank you all for the great advice :)

And as for the time I'm spending shadowing the same doc-- for me it's been really valuable. I am learning so many things and really enjoy seeing some of the same patients week after week. If my city were bigger I might venture out to shadow other docs later but for now this is a great experience.
Good for you.

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile