Not really into SLP, but not sure what to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tutugirl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My sister is currently studying to get her degree in communications disorders with the hope of continuing to grad school and becoming a SLP. The problem is that she is not really into the career, but can't find anything else she prefers. I know she has observed PT and OT and didn't care for either. I am worried that she is just pursuing SLP because it is secure and provides a stable job and will end up unhappy. Yet, I can't seem to recommend a good match for her career wise. Just wondering, if other students felt the same way or had similar experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes I did. I forced myself to do it anyway. Now I'm in the field and about to start over from square one (undergrad) to be an MD. All depends on the person. It's not my calling.

The job of an SLP is not one to enter upon lightly. The job market may be stable, but the pay isn't good enough for someone to do the job if it he or she doesn't find it intrinsically rewarding. What drew her to the field in the first place? If she hasn't found PT,OT, SLP or AuD interesting then maybe she isn't the type to be working with people. There is nothing wrong with that, but it sounds to me like that's not her true calling.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stable/Secure + Good match is so exceedingly rare and difficult to identify that it is almost an irrational goal unless the path and purpose is crystal for the person. It's quite unlikely that you will be able to identify a good match for your sister.

Stable and secure are pretty good qualities for a field today. Add "flexible" and your sister could do much worse.

Take heart that SLPs are THE experts in many areas of expertise and that your sister will have a variety of employment choices should she choose to apprise herself of the available options.

Current clinical fellow in SLP who's contemplating MD/PA route in the coming months.

Current clinical fellow in SLP who's contemplating MD/PA route in the coming months.
Are you an speech language pathologist??? It seems like occupational therapy is more competitive than speech language pathologist. I'm currently applying to occupational therapy school. If I don't get in I'm going to get my masters health, human performance, and wellness which will take a year. Then I will apply to Speech Language Pathologist and Occupational therapy school