Not much research at my institution for the field that I'm interested in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idkididk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finishing up MS1 here.

I'm considering a competitive surgical subspecialty, but the department at my school just hired a new Chair and there's not much in terms of clinical research. He and I started a new project that I'll be working on this summer through MS2, so hopefully this will be productive. I haven't had a chance to talk to any residents yet, but I'm hoping that they have on-going projects that I can help with (although the Chair didn't mention any on-going projects).

Is there anything else that I could be doing? I'm hoping that this relationship with the Chair will go a long way when I apply

Members don't see this ad.

Usually residents will have tons of ideas they want to write papers on and just don't have the time, which is where YOU come in. :D
Feel free to go up to any resident or attending and let them know you're interested in their specialty and would like to do research. More often than not, they'll be happy to give you some ideas. If not, move on to next resident/attending.
Sometimes they already have a database and data all done, and just need someone to type it up--you can do that. Sometimes, they don't have anything but ideas--this will take more work, and you're gonna need to write a protocol, data-mine, and build a database (takes most of your research time). And, of course you can ask them for help as well. It depends on how how much you're willing to do.
Idea is, feel free to go and ask! The relationship will go a long way, as they'll know who you are, and know that you've been interested and proactive form the start. Also, feel free to ask them if you could shadow them, or join them on their Grand rounds, or meetings and such.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you're on the right track, especially being an MS1. Continue to work with the chair and it goes without saying - be diligent and deliberate in your work/interactions with him. In addition to what you're doing:

1. Get in touch with upperclassmen MS3-MS4 as well as recent grads that matched successfully last cycle. Try to get a gauge for who they enjoyed working with from a research standpoint, who wrote them excellent letters, who they found to be overall solid mentors.

2. Pubmed stalk everyone in the department including faculty and senior residents. Find out who is most productive and reach out to those that are productive and are doing research you're interested in.
3. Get to know faculty/residents clinically as well (shadow in OR, clinic, etc). Forming relationships with junior residents now will help in the long run when it comes time to do your home rotation and when it is time to apply.

Above all continue to do well in your preclinical years for a solid foundation for your boards and your clinical year. All this research and networking is moot if your board scores/clinical grades are not up to snuff.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're on the right track, especially being an MS1. Continue to work with the chair and it goes without saying - be diligent and deliberate in your work/interactions with him. In addition to what you're doing:

1. Get in touch with upperclassmen MS3-MS4 as well as recent grads that matched successfully last cycle. Try to get a gauge for who they enjoyed working with from a research standpoint, who wrote them excellent letters, who they found to be overall solid mentors.

2. Pubmed stalk everyone in the department including faculty and senior residents. Find out who is most productive and reach out to those that are productive and are doing research you're interested in.
3. Get to know faculty/residents clinically as well (shadow in OR, clinic, etc). Forming relationships with junior residents now will help in the long run when it comes time to do your home rotation and when it is time to apply.

Above all continue to do well in your preclinical years for a solid foundation for your boards and your clinical year. All this research and networking is moot if your board scores/clinical grades are not up to snuff.

1. Already did that. 2 matched at my school this year, 1 didn't decide until late MS3. They got some case reports published but otherwise not much. There's someone here who does bench work and one of the MS4's worked with him, but he said it was low-yield

2. Great idea, thanks!

3. Will do this summer!

Haha yea, the all deciding factor will still be step1..