not completing pre-reqs before applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HamburgerHelper02

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! This is my very first thread on SDN so pls go easy on me. but I've been a silent follower, and lemme tell u that every time I visit this site my heartrate shoots straight up lol

I am a rising junior, planning to apply at the end of my junior year. I've finished all my pre-reqs except for biochem and physics, which I am registered to take in this upcoming year.

However, I'd also like to take another class in the same timeframe as physics, a class that I am much more interested in and has a lot to do with my major (It's only offered once every two years, so this would be my only chance to take it).

So, my question is, can I hold off on taking physics until after I apply, or would that make me a less competitive applicant? I talked to one advisor who works in a dental school and advises dental students, and she said that some schools won't even consider you until they see your pre-reqs completed.

I saw a few similar questions floating around from like the early 2000's with a lot of people saying that it shouldn't be a problem, but i figured that more recent answers wouldn't hurt, especially because schools are more competitive now (I assume).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have not heard of them not accepting you because a pre-req isn't complete. You will have had to complete it before entering dental school though. On the aadsas application you can enter courses you plan to take and you will indicate taking physics there. It won't affect your chances. If there is a specific school you're interested in, I would call admissions to double check.

Reactions: 1 users
is there a possibility that schools will view me as a less competitive applicant because I haven't taken it? Isn't that a huge loophole that pre-dent students can use to their advantage so they won't tank their GPA?
If you think you will do poorly in physics, sure you can plan to take it 4th year after your application so your GPA is "locked." As a pre-dent you shouldn't have that much trouble with basic sciences, especially towards your senior years. They won'y view you as less competitive, especially if your DAT score is strong. Good job on planning. You're ahead of the game. I took most of my pre-reqs 2nd/3rd year and got all A/A+ in them because i figured out first year what study habits work for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
is there a possibility that schools will view me as a less competitive applicant because I haven't taken it? Isn't that a huge loophole that pre-dent students can use to their advantage so they won't tank their GPA?
Depends on the school as well. I would say MOST won't even question it as long as it is on your plan and you take it before matriculating. However, one school that I interviewed at told me I needed to actually take more prerequisites classes before they would consider me further. I was in a unique situation though where I applied early (just after my sophomore year) and they apparently had a problem with that. No other school even mentioned it. They were the only school I interviewed at that did not accept me (8 interviews, 7 acceptances) and they told me it was because of that reason. I would still consider it very rare for it to influence anything. That is why AADSAS even lets you mark classes as planned.

Hello! This is my very first thread on SDN so pls go easy on me. but I've been a silent follower, and lemme tell u that every time I visit this site my heartrate shoots straight up lol

I am a rising junior, planning to apply at the end of my junior year. I've finished all my pre-reqs except for biochem and physics, which I am registered to take in this upcoming year.

However, I'd also like to take another class in the same timeframe as physics, a class that I am much more interested in and has a lot to do with my major (It's only offered once every two years, so this would be my only chance to take it).

So, my question is, can I hold off on taking physics until after I apply, or would that make me a less competitive applicant? I talked to one advisor who works in a dental school and advises dental students, and she said that some schools won't even consider you until they see your pre-reqs completed.

I saw a few similar questions floating around from like the early 2000's with a lot of people saying that it shouldn't be a problem, but i figured that more recent answers wouldn't hurt, especially because schools are more competitive now (I assume).

Are you only taking 3 courses or something, so you must drop physics for another class? Can't you add this extra course without dropping anything?

Depends on the school as well. I would say MOST won't even question it as long as it is on your plan and you take it before matriculating. However, one school that I interviewed at told me I needed to actually take more prerequisites classes before they would consider me further. I was in a unique situation though where I applied early (just after my sophomore year) and they apparently had a problem with that. No other school even mentioned it. They were the only school I interviewed at that did not accept me (8 interviews, 7 acceptances) and they told me it was because of that reason. I would still consider it very rare for it to influence anything. That is why AADSAS even lets you mark classes as planned.

oh that's great to know, thanks!! how many pre-reqs "behind" were you?

oh that's great to know, thanks!! how many pre-reqs "behind" were you?
They didn't say. They just showed me my scoresheet and said "you're a little shy in this area because you don't have enough of your prereqs completed..." and that was about all. I remember being upset that I flew all the way out there for them to just tell me they couldn't accept me because of that. I can tell you I hadn't taken physics yet, but I don't remember what else I hadn't taken. Everything was in my plan to be completed before matriculation though, I can tell you that for sure.

They didn't say. They just showed me my scoresheet and said "you're a little shy in this area because you don't have enough of your prereqs completed..." and that was about all. I remember being upset that I flew all the way out there for them to just tell me they couldn't accept me because of that. I can tell you I hadn't taken physics yet, but I don't remember what else I hadn't taken. Everything was in my plan to be completed before matriculation though, I can tell you that for sure.
hmm that must've been so annoying -_- well it seems like ya made it tho happy 4 u! That's crazy that you had the guts to apply after sophomore year, did you end up getting your bachelors?

hmm that must've been so annoying -_- well it seems like ya made it tho happy 4 u! That's crazy that you had the guts to apply after sophomore year, did you end up getting your bachelors?
I think they gave me a courtesy interview because my dad went to dental school there, but yes, very annoying. And yeah, finally made it out and livin' the good life as a dentist. I actually did not get my bachelors and was successfully accepted early, so all is well.

If you think you will do poorly in physics, sure you can plan to take it 4th year after your application so your GPA is "locked." As a pre-dent you shouldn't have that much trouble with basic sciences, especially towards your senior years. They won'y view you as less competitive, especially if your DAT score is strong. Good job on planning. You're ahead of the game. I took most of my pre-reqs 2nd/3rd year and got all A/A+ in them because i figured out first year what study habits work for me.

Hi, can u explain more to me about when the GPA is 'locked'? Is it locked after you submit your transcript?
For example if I submit my app and transcript the month before my senior year, does that mean my senior year grades can't help or hurt my GPA which was on my transcript at the time it was submitted to AADSAS?

Thanks ahead for your answers?

Hi, can u explain more to me about when the GPA is 'locked'? Is it locked after you submit your transcript?
For example if I submit my app and transcript the month before my senior year, does that mean my senior year grades can't help or hurt my GPA which was on my transcript at the time it was submitted to AADSAS?

Thanks ahead for your answers?
Well essentially the Gpa they will have will be up to the point of submission. So your grades afterwards won't really matter provided you pass, unless they tell you to maintain a certain Gpa.