Northwestern vs. University of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is up doc?

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN, I'm just looking for people's perspectives regarding my decision between these two great schools.

Some info about my future goals:

- I want to go into academic medicine because I want to do research (not sure what field yet)
- Ideally, I would like to work at a medical center in a large, urban city with a diverse patient population
- Ideally, I would like to end up working in the east or west coast.
- I'm not sure what medical specialty I'll choose, but at the moment I think I would go into a subspecialty of IM

Let me know if there is anything else you need to know

Some pros and cons of each school:

Northwestern

Pros:

- Location: Chicago is a great city and meets the characteristics of the type of city I'd like to work in (except geographical location). I love that Feinberg is downtown and not in Evanston.

- I like that research is required during medical school and there is time incorporated into the curriculum for a ~4-year research project.

- Perhaps more prestigious than Wisconsin (#17 vs #25 in the latest US News rankings).

- Very happy students, and I feel I would be happy here as well.

Cons:
- Cost. COA is ~ $85,000 per year and I was offered a need-based grant of $60,000 ($15,000/year).

Wisconsin

Pros:

- Cost. I was offered a full-tuition scholarship and living in Madison is cheaper than living in Chicago

- I've done research here in the past and have connections that could facilitate finding research mentors during medical school.

- I like that they integrate public health in their curriculum

Cons:
-Madison is not a very diverse city

-Wisconsin has a "statewide campus" which means some of the clerkships will be done in a city other than Madison. This is a double-edged sword: I would not mind getting sent to Milwaukee for some clinical rotations, but I am not thrilled about the possibility of getting sent to rural Wisconsin. A lottery decides where you go.

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi SDN, I'm just looking for people's perspectives regarding my decision between these two great schools.

Some info about my future goals:

- I want to go into academic medicine because I want to do research (not sure what field yet)
- Ideally, I would like to work at a medical center in a large, urban city with a diverse patient population
- Ideally, I would like to end up working in the east or west coast.
- I'm not sure what medical specialty I'll choose, but at the moment I think I would go into a subspecialty of IM

Let me know if there is anything else you need to know

Some pros and cons of each school:

Northwestern

Pros:

- Location: Chicago is a great city and meets the characteristics of the type of city I'd like to work in (except geographical location). I love that Feinberg is downtown and not in Evanston.

- I like that research is required during medical school and there is time incorporated into the curriculum for a ~4-year research project.

- Perhaps more prestigious than Wisconsin (#17 vs #25 in the latest US News rankings).

Cons:
- Cost. COA is ~ $85,000 per year and I was offered a need-based grant of $60,000 ($15,000/year).

Wisconsin

Pros:

- Cost. I was offered a full-tuition scholarship and living in Madison is cheaper than living in Chicago

- I've done research here in the past and have connections that could facilitate finding research mentors during medical school.

- I like that they integrate public health in their curriculum

Cons:
-Madison is not a very diverse city

-Wisconsin has a "statewide campus" which means some of the clerkships will be done in a city other than Madison. This is a double-edged sword: I would not mind getting sent to Milwaukee for some clinical rotations, but I am not thrilled about the possibility of getting sent to rural Wisconsin. A lottery decides where you go.

Thanks for your help!

A full tuition scholarship sounds like an amazing deal to me. Coming out of medical school debt I heard can be really draining for some people. Personally, I wouldn't want to come out being a penny pincher, but that's probably because I didn't grow up in a particularly affluent family.

Congratulations on Feinberg, any tips?

I'd steal a lollipop from a child (at bare minimum lol) to get dat full-tuition scholarship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many would consider me a fool, but even with the full-tuition scholarship (no stipend I'm assuming?), I'd choose Northwestern + its need-based aid over UWisconsin. But that's just me. I need a large city to be happy (and the amazing research opportunities, growth of the school, motivating student body, et.c to boot.).

Wisconsin. Madison is an awesome city (and this is coming from someone who's never lived in a city with less than 1mil people). The reputations are both very strong (#17 vs. #25 is negligible), and the cost difference is astounding.

Take it from someone with almost $400k in loans: paying $1000+/month of your ****ty residency salary while not even covering your accruing interest sucks.