Nontraditional applicant, need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychorad

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been a silent follower of this forum for a while now, and thought I'd finally make myself official by making an account, say 'HELLO!', and ask what I've got to ask.

I'm in my 6th year of being a radiology attending, having spent 3 years in academics and the past 3 at a community hospital.

As I've matured in life, I've been increasingly interested in learning about the mind, the phenomenon of thought, the persona, and alterations/disturbances thereof. Having taken part in weekly tumor boards since residency, to this day when reflecting on the myriad cases I've presented, I've always found myself yearning to take on a more impactful role in the care of the patient. I wouldn't say I've felt sidelined, but whenever I've had the opportunity to speak with cancer patients, I've almost always thought how our "team-based" approach had horribly neglected the patient spirit. I cannot fathom why psychiatry hasn't had a seat at the tumor board discussion table to inform members of all specialities involved what the psychiatric disposition of the patient is, as I think this would ultimately lead to better, more effective patient care.

Be as it may, after close to 2 years of mulling things over, I am ready to admit to myself that I'm not professionally, intellectually satisfied with my career, and that I would feel more fulfilled serving the patient in the capacity of psychiatrist.

Since med school I had developed a true liking and respect for psychiatry. Problem is, that was a long time ago.

My concerns include very old USMLE scores and no easy access to LORs from psychiatrists (no psych department at my hospital). Additionally, many programs wouldn't look my way due to lack of funding- problem is, I have no idea how to find out which programs would offer me a shot.

I'd truly appreciate any insight you may be able to offer.

Members don't see this ad.

Here's a radical idea which most people in academia are going to HATE--but it might get you what you want more quickly.
Continue being a radiologist, but find a Masters program in Counseling that you can take in your spare time. You won't have to find and do another residency, you'll get credentials to take a more active role with patients--interpreting their disease to them, helping them with coping, etc...--and I'm willing to bet that you'll be self-motivated enough to learn a fair amount about the things that truly interest you.
I just think that even if you were to find your way into a PGY2 position somewhere, you'd dislike the amount of time you have to spend on severe mental illness, emergency rooms, inpatient psych, and other such stuff, and find yourself asking "why am I doing this?"

I could be wrong--just taking a guess and proposing a different path...

Reactions: 4 users
Hi all - just wanted to bump this thread, I continue to look for additional insight from experienced members. Thanks SO MUCH for the PMs...

Members don't see this ad :)
I cannot fathom why psychiatry hasn't had a seat at the tumor board discussion table to inform members of all specialities involved what the psychiatric disposition of the patient is, as I think this would ultimately lead to better, more effective patient care.

I have a hunch most psychiatrists would avoid tumor board like the plague, run screaming from it or fall asleep while the oncologists and surgeons argue over Ann Arbor staging.

As a radiologist, spending just 5 minutes of your time explaining findings to patients is invaluable. How about finding counselors or psychiatrists in the community that are interested in working with cancer patients and referring patients to them?

Hi all - just wanted to bump this thread, I continue to look for additional insight from experienced members. Thanks SO MUCH for the PMs...

I think you should apply, it's not like you can't afford it and you can take time off to go on your interviews.

Can you talk to the people at your former academic job and see if one of them can write a letter for you discussing how you are a great clinician.

Shadow with a psychiatrist for two months and have them write a letter for you. Request a dean's from your med school.

Apply broadly and hope for the best.

You are in a good position because you can afford to apply to a lot of programs and can take time off if needed. You previously matched into a competitive field which is a sign that you are a great student and you have a great backup plan... Being a radiologist.

You have nothing to lose in just applying for next year match.