Nontrad needing help coming up with school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hebrewBAMmer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of finishing my PhD and planning to apply this upcoming cycle for medical school. I'd like to attend a medical school with a strong research emphasis since I'm more interested in being a physician scientist.

Grades and MCAT:
cGPA: 3.72
SGPA: 3.73
MCAT: 510 (132/126/126/126)

Have a B.A. in Chemistry (with honors) and Math, M.S. in Chem, M.A. in Applied Math, and finishing my Ph.D. in Chem

CA Resident (ORM lgbt male)

Undergrad: Top 20 liberal arts

Volunteering:
  • 300 hours at Children's Hospital working both information desk and spending time visiting with patients in Hematology/Oncology unit
  • Hospice volunteering for over a year (I don't know the exact hours they have for me but it's been like 2-3 hrs/week for 14 months so far)
  • Was a part of Circle K for a year doing some volunteering with Food bank and local soup kitchen
Job:
  • After undergrad but before grad school, I spent a year doing drug discovery research with Novartis
Research:
  • Have one first-author publication in a physics journal
  • Currently have a second first-author publication under review by a computational neuroscience journal
  • I've been in a PhD program since 2012 so obviously I've been doing endless research
  • Won an award for academic excellence and promise for future studies
Teaching:
  • Undergrad: Was a math tutor at the math learning center on campus, also TAed organic chemistry courses and lab
  • Grad: Was a TA for physical chemistry, general chemistry, and organic chemistry lab (took a break while we had grant money, and now TAing again)
  • Won an award for TA excellence in my grad program
  • I also do some private tutoring for a few local high school students
Shadowing:
  • Currently have shadowed (total of 100 hours give or take): Surgeon, Pediatrician (x2), Anesthesiologist, Family Practitioner, and Oncologist

Now for schools so far I'm considering, but I would like to add some more:
Albert Einstein
Dartmouth
Drexel
NYMC
Northwestern (huge reach, but I can dream)
OHSU
Rosalind Franklin
Temple
UC Irvine
Miami (Miller)
Western Michigan
USC
Iowa
UCLA? (I didn't think I stood a chance for this school, but the new MSAR shows the median MCAT at a 508, so... maybe?)

Any suggestions for schools to add would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest:

Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Western MI
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons
UCD
UCI
UCR IF you're from the inland empire

I suggest:

Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Western MI
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons
UCD
UCI
UCR IF you're from the inland empire

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think I meet all the requirements at MCW (psychology/sociology) unfortunately. Also, I was under the impression, and this could be completely wrong, that Tulane is more primary case focused and doesn't have much research?

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think I meet all the requirements at MCW (psychology/sociology) unfortunately. Also, I was under the impression, and this could be completely wrong, that Tulane is more primary case focused and doesn't have much research?
I give you a list of choices where I think that you're competitive. You determine if the school offers what you want.