Non traditional Student with low GPA due to past medical conditions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlyTheW25!

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm 25 and have a semester left with a kinesiology degree. My goal is to become a physician and either work in emergency medicine or family medicine. Now to my grades...I was diagnosed with leukemia when I was 19 and did 3.5 years of chemotherapy. I made the decision half way through chemo to transfer across the country and start college. I started off well maintaining a 3.3-3.4 gpa and started training (when able) with the cycling team. A year and a half later when I finished chemo is when my mental health issues started. I experienced chemo brain and had problems with short term memory loss, difficulty with memory and word retrieval and have documented proof of all of this through neuropsychological examinations I had throughout chemo. Life post cancer has been amazing but I like to say that cancer was the easy part and chemo plus it's side effects have been most difficult. So, I was prescribed straterra which was a miracle drug and that semester I made the deans list for the first time and had no problems glancing at something I had to memorize and remembering it. This drug was incredible. Summer came along and I stopped taking the drug because I wasn't taking classes. Big mistake. The following fall I started to notice I was feeling depressed and withdrawn from my already small social circle. I felt incredibly awkward in social situations and didn't know how to make new friends. I sought psychological help but felt like I was just throwing money down the drain so I stopped going. I squeaked by that semester with a 3.2 and long story short it went down hill from there. Since then, I've been getting 2.8's, 3.0s and I've failed or have gotten D's in some incredibly easy courses such as art. Back to straterra, the last two times I started it I felt horrible on it so I'm currently looking for a psychiatrist to help manage my depression and try to get me back on straterra. I currently have a 2.7 with no med school pre reqs besides A and P 1 which I did well in. What recommendations can you give on which med schools to apply to? Obviously I need to get that gpa up and take care of my medical set backs before that but there's a lot of pressure for me to "finally get my **** together" and show medical schools that I recovered from some medical hiccups and that I'm capable of becoming a competent physician. I've done a lot of research so far and I think the rest of my resume will look great but what I lack is that upward trend in gpa.

I have volunteer experience in the OR and currently in the emergency room totaling around 100 hrs and I work at a plasma donation center doing vitals/finger pokes and run hematocrit and protein checks. I'm also starting to volunteer for a program at my hospital called No One Dies Alone and in that volunteers provide beside company to those that have less than 72 hrs to live. I have a rough idea of when I would like to apply to med schools and by the time that comes around both volunteer and work hours will exceed 1500 hrs which from what I've researched is quite excessive.
I was also a D1 athlete and am currently the president for a small cancer resource non profit. I have a semester of biology research and am currently working on a kinesiology case study that I am hoping to present and get published. Letters of recommendation are not an issue as I have many physicians who are willing to provide them.

What I would like to know is based on the info I've provided you all, how much higher do you think I need to get my gpa to be an eligible candidate? Please, any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much:)

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't read through all of this but the gist that I got was you were a good student, had issues with health, then did poorly in school.

First of all, I think this is the wrong forum. This is a premed question. Second, anything is possible if you work hard enough, but your gpa is bad and you will need to take pre-reqs which are a lot harder than the classes you take for KIN.

Ideally, you go and take all of your pre-reqs and bring your gpa up to at least 3.2. Assuming you haven't taken a lot of science courses, your science gpa should be higher (if you get A's). Do the pre-reqs and and pad your schedule with easy science courses (I remember taking a lot of easier classes toward the end).

So let's say you got your **** together, your science gpa is getting high and your cumulative gpa is also getting better... this is when you need to absolutely destroy the mcat. You can't have a ****ty mcat and ****ty gpa. You can squeak by a lower gpa (~3.3ish) and an above avg mcat. Your extra curricular is fine at this point.

In regards to the application, really research the schools around. Usually there are local public schools that prefer locals or have a mission to serve that area. Some would also have post-bac programs you could think about. Regardless, this will all be an uphill battle. I'm assuming things are still relatively competitive. Most premeds never reach their goal.

The DO route may also be ideal for you. A lot of the schools tend to have a higher tolerance for low gpa or mcat.

Good luck

TLDR, but I will say this much: I graduated undergrad with a sub 3.2 GPA. I then did a 1 year post-bacc and got straight A's, which boosted me up to a ~3.4 cGPA. I had an above average MCAT (90th+ %ile). Applied to ~30 places, got like 10+ interview invites, and was accepted to several nice MD programs. So, my advice to you is to sign up for a post-bacc, get straight A's (this is very important. A-'s won't cut it at this point, I'm afraid. You need to perform like your whole future depends on it because, at this point, it does...), and crush the MCAT...Another huge factor that helped me was writing high-quality essays. I did many, many drafts of my personal statement and supplementary essays. I sort of obsessed over them, making sure every word and phrase was perfect. Don't leave anything to chance at this point. Plan to apply only once. Do it right.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Foot saved me from having to write the exact same thing.

OP, as of right now, your stats are lethal for MD and DO. You need to demonstrate that you can handle med school.

Also make sure that your therapist or psychiatrist approves of your decision to go this route. med school is a crucible and I've seen it break even healthy students.

FWIW, I have had a good number of Ca survivors make it through our program.

TLDR, but I will say this much: I graduated undergrad with a sub 3.2 GPA. I then did a 1 year post-bacc and got straight A's, which boosted me up to a ~3.4 cGPA. I had an above average MCAT (90th+ %ile). Applied to ~30 places, got like 10+ interview invites, and was accepted to several nice MD programs. So, my advice to you is to sign up for a post-bacc, get straight A's (this is very important. A-'s won't cut it at this point, I'm afraid. You need to perform like your whole future depends on it because, at this point, it does...), and crush the MCAT...Another huge factor that helped me was writing high-quality essays. I did many, many drafts of my personal statement and supplementary essays. I sort of obsessed over them, making sure every word and phrase was perfect. Don't leave anything to chance at this point. Plan to apply only once. Do it right.

If you have your degree (or about to have it) without the pre-reqs, you can probably gain admission to a post-bacc with a direct-admit with the story you have, which would include the pre-reqs and an MCAT prep in most cases. It's something to, at the very least, look into because you're GPA is low regardless of the story behind it, and it can only be raised so much if you were to only take the pre-reqs.

Mental health problems are no good in my book. That's not something you want to advertise as it will backfire on you. You won't gain their sympathy. You might think you will and they might pretend to be sympathetic but the reality is that's not the case.

As far as GPA, there's no explanation really, you need to have very good grades and that will take commitment and effort.

You can't use a medical condition and think you can get by with a lower GPA.

If you have your degree (or about to have it) without the pre-reqs, you can probably gain admission to a post-bacc with a direct-admit with the story you have, which would include the pre-reqs and an MCAT prep in most cases. It's something to, at the very least, look into because you're GPA is low regardless of the story behind it, and it can only be raised so much if you were to only take the pre-reqs.

Thank you, can you recommend any post bac programs?

Thank you, I haven't done much research on post bacs but I've been looking into a couple of one year master of biomedical sciences programs as a gpa/application enhancer. Comparing the two based on what I know, I feel like it would look better to have a masters instead of paying 30K to take the same classes at my college after I get my degree. That way I can continue to work/volunteer and the only thing I'd be missing from the masters program would be the mcat prep course and possible linkage programs. Plus from what I've researched the masters program is supposed to simulate first year medical school curriculum.

Those are just my thoughts any other advice would be great!

Mental health problems are no good in my book. That's not something you want to advertise as it will backfire on you. You won't gain their sympathy. You might think you will and they might pretend to be sympathetic but the reality is that's not the case.

As far as GPA, there's no explanation really, you need to have very good grades and that will take commitment and effort.

You can't use a medical condition and think you can get by with a lower GPA.

Thank you for your comment and I respect your opinion but I disagree. I'm not advertising that I had cancer it is something that happened to me during one of the most important developmental stages of my life and I had no control over that. Second, I don't want sympathy from anyone. Any medical school that pretends to care about my past medical history can toss my application. That's exactly what's wrong with medicine. I've seen so many physicians and nurses throughout my treatment and it's given me the privilege of seeing the cracks and holes in the medical system. When you stare death in the face its incredibly lonely and no one not even my closest friends and family knew or will ever understand how I felt emotionally and physically. I saw many doctors that saw me as a patient and there were others that viewed me as a human with physical and emotional needs. I had one physician call me when he was in Turkey for a conference to check up on me. He woke me up at 2am but I can't explain to you how much of a difference that made in my care and overall outcome. I was inspired. I want to go into medicine because I truly understand what it's like to be a patient with a life threatening disease. it's more than just physically treating patients there's an entire psychological component behind it which is exactly why the mcat was revised to contain more psychology. I am not using my condition, it has literally changed my life in so many ways both good and bad. I hope you understand that there is much more to medicine than just good grades...and I don't mean that offensively at all or in any aggressive manner whatsoever. But yes, in the end I understand that I must be able to demonstrate to medical schools that I can be successful.

I hope you understand that there is much more to medicine than just good grades...

No, I've been there man. Let me give you this advice. If you want to become a doctor, it's just about grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been in med school man. I am qualified to talk about medical school. I have taken the tests and NBME exams. Just trust me on this one.

I didn't mean it like that I am just interested in your background/where you are today.

I didn't mean it like that I am just interested in your background/where you are today.

I'm retaking the pre-req's and the MCAT and going to attempt it again in a few years. Medical school is medical school whether it's in the US or the Caribbean. We have to study the same stuff and take the same tests. After going through it myself, my opinion on a lot of things has changed. The purpose of my prior post was to show you that these adcoms and people in that position only care about one thing and that is numbers. I've seen it myself at US and Caribbean programs. US programs care about the numbers before you get in the door, Caribbean programs care about numbers before they let you out the door.

There is no such thing as a holistic evaluation. They just say that so you'll apply. The reality is GPA and MCAT and then STEP scores.

So having said that, if you feel there would be any problems with getting those numbers, then think long and hard about this career. I agree that there is more to medicine than just grades, like you said, but that's not how it really works which is unfortunate because you have a lot of people becoming doctors that would be better off as scientists or researchers.

Not sure I'm comfortable dropping 30K ish on a post bac when I can take those same classes at my college and continue to work on my volunteer and patient contact hours. I've been looking into a one year masters of biomedical science program that would be around the same price. From my research those programs are supposed to simulate the first year of medical school. I do realize though I won't be getting an mcat prep course or linkage program. Thoughts?

That is a post-bac....a DIY one. Perfectly fine idea. Formal post-bac programs are more geared for career switchers.

Not sure I'm comfortable dropping 30K ish on a post bac when I can take those same classes at my college and continue to work on my volunteer and patient contact hours. I've been looking into a one year masters of biomedical science program that would be around the same price. From my research those programs are supposed to simulate the first year of medical school. I do realize though I won't be getting an mcat prep course or linkage program. Thoughts?

I didn't read through all of this but the gist that I got was you were a good student, had issues with health, then did poorly in school.

First of all, I think this is the wrong forum. This is a premed question. Second, anything is possible if you work hard enough, but your gpa is bad and you will need to take pre-reqs which are a lot harder than the classes you take for KIN.

Ideally, you go and take all of your pre-reqs and bring your gpa up to at least 3.2. Assuming you haven't taken a lot of science courses, your science gpa should be higher (if you get A's). Do the pre-reqs and and pad your schedule with easy science courses (I remember taking a lot of easier classes toward the end).

So let's say you got your **** together, your science gpa is getting high and your cumulative gpa is also getting better... this is when you need to absolutely destroy the mcat. You can't have a ****ty mcat and ****ty gpa. You can squeak by a lower gpa (~3.3ish) and an above avg mcat. Your extra curricular is fine at this point.

In regards to the application, really research the schools around. Usually there are local public schools that prefer locals or have a mission to serve that area. Some would also have post-bac programs you could think about. Regardless, this will all be an uphill battle. I'm assuming things are still relatively competitive. Most premeds never reach their goal.

The DO route may also be ideal for you. A lot of the schools tend to have a higher tolerance for low gpa or mcat.

Good luck

Thanks for the advice. I'm retaking some classes now and should have about a 3.1 at graduation. I'm planning on taking a&p 2, gross anatomy, maybe general physiology if I have time, genetics, gen/orgo chemo, physics, cell bio. I've taken some 496 level topics biology classes over jterm-wound healing, neurodegenerative disease, theres also a thrombosis class offered this summer but I'm not sure how much weight those classes will have on an application. What else do you mean by easy science courses?

I did a "DIY" postbac, as @Goro mentioned. I enrolled in a "second bachelor degree" program at a local state school. I never even finished the degree; just used the program to get A's on my transcript. Cost only ~$9000 for a year's worth of classes. Money well spent.

Reactions: 1 users
I did a "DIY" postbac, as @Goro mentioned. I enrolled in a "second bachelor degree" program at a local state school. I never even finished the degree; just used the program to get A's on my transcript. Cost only ~$9000 for a year's worth of classes. Money well spent.

Were those all science courses? I really like psychology so I'd like to mix in some psych courses as well if it'll be beneficial to me. Also do you mind telling me where you're at in your education/how it's going for you so far?

Thanks!

Were those all science courses? I really like psychology so I'd like to mix in some psych courses as well if it'll be beneficial to me. Also do you mind telling me where you're at in your education/how it's going for you so far?

Thanks!
Most Psych isn't science (unless biopsych/neuro), I looked for psych courses that were also neuro equvalent. So for example, Psyc404=Neur403. I would then register for the neuro version. Do as many easy science courses while doing your prerequisites which will be more challenging

Thank you, can you recommend any post bac programs?

Thank you, I haven't done much research on post bacs but I've been looking into a couple of one year master of biomedical sciences programs as a gpa/application enhancer. Comparing the two based on what I know, I feel like it would look better to have a masters instead of paying 30K to take the same classes at my college after I get my degree. That way I can continue to work/volunteer and the only thing I'd be missing from the masters program would be the mcat prep course and possible linkage programs. Plus from what I've researched the masters program is supposed to simulate first year medical school curriculum.

Those are just my thoughts any other advice would be great!

I agree that a masters is better in many cases, but not in all cases. I kind of depends.

MD: https://apps.aamc.org/postbac/#/index

DO: Post Baccalaureate Premedical Programs - on hold