Non-trad, working full time, self-designed post-bacc; need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zukunft195

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from a public university in 2015, and I currently have a professional job in a field that is completely unrelated to healthcare.

My undergraduate degree was in sociology, and I graduated with a 3.75 total GPA. The only BCPM courses I took were Gen Chem I, Calc I, and Ecological/Organism Bio; in these courses, I received a B+, C+, and C+, respectively. I recognize that these grades suck and will serve to lower my ultimate sGPA (especially since DO schools are no longer using grade replacement). However, I've developed much better study habits and a stronger level of motivation since the time that I took them.

Over the next two years, I will work full time at my current job, while also taking (and getting A's in) Phys 1 and Phys 2, Gen Chem 2, and Orgo 1 and 2 at my local state university. I will try to find time to take Biochem and/or Genetics, too, since they seem to make up much of the content of the new MCAT.

I will also accumulate at least 50 hours of shadowing experience and 100 hours of hospital volunteering experience.

As it stands, I plan on taking the MCAT in the winter of 2019 and applying in the spring of 2019. I would be fine with either MD or DO.

Is it possible for someone with hardly any science background to work full time and be ready to apply to med school in only a couple of years? How much time should I expect to devote to MCAT study? Which courses will be the toughest, and would it be okay to take some at a local community college? Are there any super-relevant SDN threads that I should read? I would greatly appreciate any advice or feedback that I can get.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sit down, ask yourself if you want to be a doctor.What ever answer your soul gives you will lead you in the right path. Do not forget about compromise

Reactions: 1 user
Sit down, ask yourself if you want to be a doctor.What ever answer your soul gives you will lead you in the right path. Do not forget about compromise
I've definitely gone through that step already. I am 100% sure that I want to be a doctor, and I'm willing to go through years and years of hard work to achieve my goal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've definitely gone through that step already. I am 100% sure that I want to be a doctor, and I'm willing to go through years and years of hard work to achieve my goal.
Then compromise. This road is dedication. Either you go part time at work, or take evening classes or quit work entirely to finish the classes you need. These are viable options because you need to do well in those classes.

I graduated college (SUNY school) in 2015, and I currently have a professional job in a field that is completely unrelated to healthcare.

My undergraduate degree was in sociology, and I graduated with a 3.75 total GPA. The only BCPM courses I took were Gen Chem I, Calc I, and Ecological/Organism Bio; in these courses, I received a B+, C+, and C+, respectively. I recognize that these grades suck and will serve to lower my ultimate sGPA (especially since DO schools are no longer using grade replacement). However, I've developed much better study habits and a stronger level of motivation since the time that I took them.

Over the next two years, I will work full time at my current job, while also taking (and getting A's in) Phys 1 and Phys 2, Gen Chem 2, and Orgo 1 and 2 at my local state university. I will try to find time to take Biochem and/or Genetics, too, since they seem to make up much of the content of the new MCAT.

I will also accumulate at least 50 hours of shadowing experience and 100 hours of hospital volunteering experience.

As it stands, I plan on taking the MCAT in the winter of 2019 and applying in the spring of 2019. I would be fine with either MD or DO.

Is it possible for someone with hardly any science background to work full time and be ready to apply to med school in only a couple of years? How much time should I expect to devote to MCAT study? Which courses will be the toughest, and would it be okay to take some at a local community college? Are there any super-relevant SDN threads that I should read? I would greatly appreciate any advice or feedback that I can get.

LOTS of people here have done it or are currently doing it. With no science background, I started taking prereqs in 2014 while working full time (50-60 hours per week). I also have a family that takes up a huge amount of time. I'm finally going to shoot off my application next week. If you want it, go for it.

Reactions: 1 users
LOTS of people here have done it or are currently doing it. With no science background, I started taking prereqs in 2014 while working full time (50-60 hours per week). I also have a family that takes up a huge amount of time. I'm finally going to shoot off my application next week. If you want it, go for it.

Wow, thanks! Good luck on your cycle!

Is it possible... ?.

I originally typed up a post about understanding the time sacrifice you're about to embark on but theirs nothing I can say that hasn't already been said by Dr.Midlife, QofQuimica, Pandabear/Grunt(series of numbers) or Goro.

You can do this but it's a marathon through a forest that's easy to lose for the trees.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I originally typed up a post about understanding the time sacrifice you're about to embark on but theirs really nothing I can say that hasn't already been said by Dr.Midlife, QofQuimica, Pandabear/Grunt(series of numbers) or Goro.

You can do this but it's a marathon through a forest that's easy to lose for the trees.

Good luck.

It won't be easy. Thank you.

It won't be easy. Thank you.
Think you should look into post bac programs just to be sure. Some are priced lower than their undergrad counterparts but still offer you a stamp of approval i.e. Committee letter. You can do them part time. If I could do it over again, I'd get a job at a hospital that pays for your related classes, and then enroll in a postbac at said affiliate. Unless you're wed to your employed, look at other places with benefits that'll apply to you.

Think you should look into post bac programs just to be sure. Some are priced lower than their undergrad counterparts but still offer you a stamp of approval i.e. Committee letter. You can do them part time. If I could do it over again, I'd get a job at a hospital that pays for your related classes, and then enroll in a postbac at said affiliate. Unless you're wed to your employed, look at other places with benefits that'll apply to you.

There are literally no post-bacc programs in my area, unfortunately. :\

OP, you could potentially have a great science GPA if you plan your post-bac properly. The Mcat is the great equalizer. I am sure you are going to work your butt off to get As in all your prerequisites, but make sure you retain all the wealth of information that you will soon learn in your classes. If you build a solid knowledge base from your prerequisites, preparing for the Mcat will not be as difficult. Good luck.

Currently in your shoes, OP. Started my DIY post-bacc in '15. Planning to apply next cycle. Genetics has been the most problematic for me, as far as time commitment (got a B). This differs for everyone, though.

The one thing I've learned - you make sacrifices. Sometimes willingly, sometimes unwillingly. Maybe you'll sacrifice study time because you want to dedicate some time to family and friends. Oftentimes, the opposite will be true. You'll sacrifice extra volunteering or research hours bc you work full-time. You won't be able to put time and effort into things like you could prior to embarking on this journey. It's tough, but doable.

I thought I would kill it with a 4.0, but I am ~60 hours in with a 3.7. You will also learn to forgive yourself, and there will be many opportunities for growth. Dr. Midlife has great posts! Good luck! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user