Non-trad in serious trouble, I need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ObiLost

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

I am a non-trad DO applicant, who is currently on a pair of WLs for admission. I am currently enrolled in a SMP. My current school has a quarter system, and my first quarter at the school, I did decently in the program, with a 3+ GPA. My health has taken a serious turn for the worse and I will have to check into a hospital soon for inpatient treatment. I will be unable to pass my courses this quarter, with already too many classes missed due to frequent trips to the hospital and a general inability to to focus on classwork while going through this...

I'm a nervous wreck right now, as I believe I have a good chance to get off 1 of the WLs, but if the admissions committee sees what has happened to my grades this quarter, would they likely rescind my acceptance?

Would an ADCOM or someone familiar with the admissions process help provide me with some insight. I'm really not ready for another devastating blow, having worked for 3 years to get to this point, but I would like truthful answers.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not knowledgeable enough to help but I hope that you get your health problem fixed quickly and painlessly and that the DO programs either cut you some slack or defer your admittance for a year to allow you to finish and get healthy. Take care.

Greetings everyone,

I am a non-trad DO applicant, who is currently on a pair of WLs for admission. I am currently enrolled in a SMP. My current school has a quarter system, and my first quarter at the school, I did decently in the program, with a 3+ GPA. My health has taken a serious turn for the worse and I will have to check into a hospital soon for inpatient treatment. I will be unable to pass my courses this quarter, with already too many classes missed due to frequent trips to the hospital and a general inability to to focus on classwork while going through this...

I'm a nervous wreck right now, as I believe I have a good chance to get off 1 of the WLs, but if the admissions committee sees what has happened to my grades this quarter, would they likely rescind my acceptance?

Would an ADCOM or someone familiar with the admissions process help provide me with some insight. I'm really not ready for another devastating blow, having worked for 3 years to get to this point, but I would like truthful answers.

Reactions: 1 user
Greetings everyone,

You should get documentation that you're sick and let your school know that you're sick. They should give you some leeway if it's a serious health issue.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not as familiar with the quarter system, but at least I think at my school (semester-based) if you have major medical issues requiring hospitalization you can withdraw from the course and withhold grades. On a case-by-case basis obviously.

You should talk to your advisor and professors ASAP, if you haven't already. I think the most important thing would be to prevent any Fs from hitting your transcript, at which point it becomes impossible to remove them. Another complication could be that many medical schools require you to complete any previous degrees or programs before matriculating.

Reactions: 1 users
Ask your current school to give you Incompletes for grades. That should give you more time for your health to hopefully recover, and you could complete the classwork over the summer.