non-science bachelor degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lv723

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I really need some advice about getting into Optometry school. I was a finance major & accounting minor in college, but I'm not too happy in this field. I graduated with a 3.3 & took AP chem while I was in High School; the credits transferred so I didn't really have to take any science courses while I was in college (beside astronomy). I graduated HS in 2009 so it's been a very long time since my last science course.

I know there's some pre-reqs to get into optometry school. What does everyone suggest I do? I thought about going to a local community college to get my science courses done. I even thought about taking a post bacc- pre-med (which would allow to me take the science courses as well)

I am working full time right now and can't quit my job- so night classes seem to be my only choice.

Also, What would be your suggestion on shadowing other optometrist?

Please advise!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Well you would need to look at the prerequisites for the schools you want to apply to and knock them out. Most of the schools require 1 yr of general biology, chemistry and physics. Also most require biochemistry, organic chemistry, microbiology, A&P. Also most require other non sciences as well. I don't know about your community college but the one here doesn't offer upper level classes so you should look into that. I know most optometry schools will accepted credits as long as the school you attend is accredited.
My advice would be to really look at this and see if this is a path you want to go down. It's going to take some time to get your prerequisites done if you can only go to night classes. It will definitely be helpful while you are studying for your OAT. I think you should call a few ODs and see if they will let you shadow. You can get a better picture that might help you decide. Good luck!

Well you would need to look at the prerequisites for the schools you want to apply to and knock them out. Most of the schools require 1 yr of general biology, chemistry and physics. Also most require biochemistry, organic chemistry, microbiology, A&P. Also most require other non sciences as well. I don't know about your community college but the one here doesn't offer upper level classes so you should look into that. I know most optometry schools will accepted credits as long as the school you attend is accredited.
My advice would be to really look at this and see if this is a path you want to go down. It's going to take some time to get your prerequisites done if you can only go to night classes. It will definitely be helpful while you are studying for your OAT. I think you should call a few ODs and see if they will let you shadow. You can get a better picture that might help you decide. Good luck!

Fortunately, I live close to my alma mater and they are accredited. I also live fairly close to Philadelphia & there are plenty of schools to enroll in if I need upper level classes. I just thought going to community would be a little more affordable. Thank you so much for the advice!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd really recommend taking your first few general classes i.e. biology, chemistry, microbiology, physics, organic chemistry, etc... at community schools. It's significantly cheaper. Had I known I could have done that I would have because just about all Optometry schools will accept these credits. The other classes you'll have to take at an accredited university i.e. biochemistry, genetics, immunology, etc.

If this is something you really are interested in pursuing- I'd go for it. I majored in Applied Mathematics with a lot lower GPA and have already gained acceptance into a few schools. I had a few of the pre-reqs from college but I finished about half of the requirements in about a year, so it's definitely doable!

Reactions: 1 user
I'd really recommend taking your first few general classes i.e. biology, chemistry, microbiology, physics, organic chemistry, etc... at community schools. It's significantly cheaper. Had I known I could have done that I would have because just about all Optometry schools will accept these credits. The other classes you'll have to take at an accredited university i.e. biochemistry, genetics, immunology, etc.

If this is something you really are interested in pursuing- I'd go for it. I majored in Applied Mathematics with a lot lower GPA and have already gained acceptance into a few schools. I had a few of the pre-reqs from college but I finished about half of the requirements in about a year, so it's definitely doable!

Thank you so much! I was starting to feel like this was going to be impossible for me to do.

Reactions: 1 users
I was in your position about thee years ago and found myself posting similar questions online. If this is something you can really see yourself doing, I hope my story motivates you to make it happen. I was also a non-science major (communications), and working a full-time salary-based job when I decided to change career paths.

I graduated college in 2012 and after 2 years of working in various areas of the field I realized it was not for me, and pursued optometry. I started taking some level 1 science classes at a local community college, and eventually transferred to a 4 year university about an hour and a half from where I lived. I was working full-time in the town I lived in so I commuted everyday before/after work and depending on the times the classes were offered, my class schedule varied from 3 credits/semester to 12 credits/semester. However, I usually tried taking at least one short class every summer and took advantage of online classes. Having to work and take classes made my timeline a little longer than it could have been, but with everything behind me I couldn't be happier I decided to start this journey. I took a pay cut and got a new job at a local optometrist office, but I think that is one of the key reasons I was asked to interview at all schools I applied to.

I started the application process this past cycle and am officially starting optometry school next August.

Reactions: 1 user