Non-AVMA vet program in Sweden

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krmj98

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, looking for some advice here.
I am a Swedish/American dual-citizen and recently completed my first year of undergrad in the US. I'm currently spending some time in Sweden and I've looked into the vet programs here. There is only one program in the country, and it is 5.5 years long (taught in Swedish). It is a combination of both our undergrad/grad programs here, in that the first 3-4 years are advanced sciences classes, and the last 1.5 years is clinical. It is not approved by the AVMA, so I know I'd have to take a test to practice in the US (which I've heard has a ridiculously high fail-rate). But, since I'm a citizen, I could have free tuition, and only have to pay living expenses. I'm already ridiculously stressed about the money I owe already/will owe, and imagining not having to worry about paying off hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt for the rest of my life would give me such peace of mind. What are your thoughts? Is it worth it to do the 5.5 year program and then try to practice in the US (if that's even what I end up doing, I don't really know I'm only 18)? For all I know, I might end up wanting to stay to practice in Sweden. If anyone has done this/known someone who has, is there a difference in the quality of education?
PS- the whole program is taught in Swedish, but I speak it pretty well, so I don't see that being a major factor. I have to check, but I think all textbooks,etc are in English.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think it depends on where you want to practice. If you would be happy living and working in Sweden (or elsewhere in Europe where that degree qualifies you to work) then I would go for it. If you only plan to live and work in America I would consider it a lot more carefully. I am the type of person that believes that if you study hard enough you can pass anything so if it were me I would probably save the money and the time and go to school in Sweden.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it depends on where you want to practice. If you would be happy living and working in Sweden (or elsewhere in Europe where that degree qualifies you to work) then I would go for it. If you only plan to live and work in America I would consider it a lot more carefully. I am the type of person that believes that if you study hard enough you can pass anything so if it were me I would probably save the money and the time and go to school in Sweden.

I'd have to agree as well. Free education + being able to practice throughout europe + having to take an additional exam if wanting to practice in the USA >> 200k+ in debt

Reactions: 1 users
I'd have to agree as well. Free education + being able to practice throughout europe + having to take an additional exam if wanting to practice in the USA >> 200k+ in debt

Yas. Take advantage of what you have available there. Worry about the test if you need to - and I'm sure it's not $200k to take, either. Even if you took it fifteen times.

Reactions: 6 users