Non APA-Accredited Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Many psychologists have little or no training in psychotherapy or are poor ones at best.
Webcomic_xkcd_-_Wikipedian_protester.png

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Have you read Science and Pseudoscience in Clinical Psychology?

There is a citation.

I do happen to have read excerpts from this. Seeing as that it is a large collection, is there something in particular from this that you would like to cite as it pertains to the discussion at hand?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I do happen to have read excerpts from this. Seeing as that it is a large collection, is there something in particular from this that you would like to cite as it pertains to the discussion at hand?
Have you read Science and Pseudoscience in Clinical Psychology?

There is a citation.
Or how about, how are you operationalizing "little or no training in psychotherapy" and what are our benchmarks for being "poor" psychotherapists?

Are these based on quantitative measures of patient outcomes? Analyses of program didactic and clinical training experiences in intervention?

Have other variables been controlled for, e.g. different patient populations (e.g. high vs. low SES), different psychopathologies (e.g. BPD vs. schizophrenia vs social anxiety disorder vs. adjustment disorders), different treatment contexts (e.g. forensic vs. outpatient vs. inpatient), different treatment paradigms (e.g. CBT vs. ), specialties (e.g. neuropsych vs. health psych vs. generalist)? Can you fairly compare the quality of psychotherapy they offer without controlling for these variables?

Last edited:
Doubt it offended him. Knowing him, he just no longer felt like playing chess against a pigeon.
I'm trained as a behavior analyst- I've played games with several non-humans, and I enjoy it greatly! It's those dang humans, with their complex verbal behaviors and ability to self reinforce that drive me crazy!

I'm also flattered that you would say "knowing him." Have I established a consistent identity in these parts?

Back to the OP. I consider attending a non-APA school to be professional suicide. You may *think* that you can survive on private practice income (and a very few people do), but I predict you will quickly change your mind when you discover that most people can't afford your desired rates, and their insurance will absolutely stonewall and lowball you to the point that you are practicing for free. Most of us that make decent money do med-legal or government work...and that requires graduation from an APA program and an APA approved post doc. If that sounds like too much work (it IS a lot of work), you need to go into a different field.

Edit: Online programs are the kiss of death relative to employment or contracting. Don't do it!