Non ACGME fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AcademicDoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a pgy-4 in a large "not very" academic center. I have a couple of pubs, but minimal research experience. The probability of someone hiring me as faculty is very low. So I was thinking in doing an extra year in leukemia, myeloma/lymphoma or bmt. Do you guys have any input if it would be enough to give me a opportunity in the academia? Of course, I would try to publish as much as possible until the end of the fellowships.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
At my institution (NCCN center), they need leukemia docs bad. Myeloma is in good supply and lymphoma is moderate. BMT is pretty well stocked. In my experience with friends at other centers, leukemia jobs (not senior level) are fairly available. This is anecdotal at best but hope it helps.

I am a 3rd yr fellow in Hematology Oncology, I agree with the above poster, there are lots of jobs available for people interested in hematological malignancies in an academic setting now that I have starting looking for jobs. I had a similar questions for few of my attendings and most of them said that if possible do extra BMT/Hematological malignancy months or if I need to they were going to let me do an away rotation at a center like MD Anderson, MSKCC etc

Doing an extra year of non-acgme fellowship will probably help but having already spend 6yrs in training I dont think I can do that any more. Best bet would be ask some one who may have done this and get their opinion on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys!

One more question.. How much is the difference in salary from academic and community? I know academic makes less money but I guess they can have different sources of income too.

Thanks guys!

One more question.. How much is the difference in salary from academic and community? I know academic makes less money but I guess they can have different sources of income too.

depends on a lot of factors (practice setting, location, business model ...etc) but no matter how much they try to sugar coat it, you will generally be making significantly less money in academics. You just have to figure out if it's worth it for you

200K coming out of fellowship in my experience

Can someone tell me what and where are the non acgme fellowships available? Thanks

A couple of them out there....

Leukemia/BMT/others @MD Anderson
BMT @stanford
BMT/Benign heme/Cancer Immunotherapy @ MSKCCC
BMT@ City of Hope
NeuroOnc @ Cleveland Clinic
BMT@ Moffitt
Advanced Hematology fellowship @ Mayo Clinic