No research experience question?

redrobin188743

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am applying for a summer internship and currently filling out the application. There is a section on the application that states that I must explain any past research experience. The problem is that I do not have any prior research experience. How do I say that I don't have any research experience in a way that sounds appealing and would make the hiring team want to hire me despite not having any experince?
Some background information... I am currently a sophomore in my undergraduate studies. I have had a number of academic labs (bio, gen chem, orgo). Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
In the same boat. :(

You tell them the truth.

No previous research experience. Adequate science laboratory experience. Highly trainable.

You should not try to dress up a deficit. Even if you are trainable, it is better to be honest and exceed expectations than lie and fail on the job when peoples grants and projects are at stake. Your lack of research will show during the job.

Members don't see this ad :)
You tell them the truth.

No previous research experience. Adequate science laboratory experience. Highly trainable.

You should not try to dress up a deficit. Even if you are trainable, it is better to be honest and exceed expectations than lie and fail on the job when peoples grants and projects are at stake. Your lack of research will show during the job.
I assure you no one's grants will be dependent on high schoolers.

This doesn't mean it is a requirement. Most HSers don't have research.

I was in the same position you are in. Always be honest, say you never conducted research but have the work ethic, educational capacity, and other important aspects. Describe why you want to do research. I am currently conducting research in too different fields (humanities and organic chemistry). I never thought I would be in the position I am in right now. Even if you don't get into the research position you are applying for, don't lose hope, keep searching!
Good luck.

I'm currently doing a MS in Biochemistry & Mlculr Bio program @ PACE Uni. Its a 1 yr thesis base program that requires u to perform research. excellent way to obtain research experience!