NJMS vs UCF

banana.doc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a high school senior that has been accepted to BSMD programs at NJMS as well as UCF. Here are the details:
UCF: 4+4, 3.75 overall & science GPA, 512 MCAT and interview in junior year beginning required. Undergrad: UCF
NJMS: 3.6 overall GPA required, MCAT should be taken, score not considered, no additional applications or steps. Undergrad choices: Rutgers, TCNJ, NJIT

I don't know what I want to specialize in yet. I want to go to a medical school that will give me the right research opportunities and support in case I want to pursue translational research.

NJMS: NJMS seems to offer better opportunities for research. For UG, TCNJ seems laid back and chill. I'm doing research in high school and would like to continue research in undergrad, so I'm leaning towards NJIT or Rutgers for UG. Is one of them better than the other for research?

UCF: Their 2017 matches in specialties is good, but I don't know what I'd like to do yet, so does it really matter? I do like the dorms and weather at UCF but those are not gating factors. The high GPA requirements and interview make it less attractive than NJMS. Is there any strong reason UCF would have an edge over NJMS?

I need to made a decision soon and would appreciate suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

I wanted to add:
NJMS is 3+4 binding program (cannot apply out) whereas UCF is 4+4 non-binding, but it is going to be a challenge to apply out, so I consider it binding too.

Reactions: 1 user
Your post is kinda confusing. For UCF are you saying that you have to take the MCAT and get at least a 512? If so, I would opt for NJMS. Scoring that well on the MCAT is not a fairly easy task. In fact only 10% who sit for the mcat will score that high. IMO, I would take the for sure route into med school and avoid the mcat = NJMS ++++++

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do the Rutgers+NJMS route. You get to shave off a year (which will ultimately translate to an extra year of attending-level salary). You also don't have to study for the MCAT, which is pretty awesome; it means you can spend a summer doing productive research instead of studying for 8 weeks. Rutgers is also much larger and better-established than NJIT, so there are naturally going to be more opportunities for you to pursue. You'll also probably get a better overall college experience at Rutgers vs. NJIT, which isn't something to undervalue.

I didn't go to Rutgers (I'm not even from Jersey), but I have a bunch of cousins who did, and they all loved it. One of them even got their wedding photos taken on the Rutgers football field.

Rutgers + NJMS. UCF is asking you to score a 512 on the MCAT for an interview. At that point you might as well apply to better schools, since they aren't doing you any favors.

Rutgers UG will give you research opportunities

Yeah take the option where you the MCAT isn't considered.. LOL. That will make your life much easier

Thank you all for the advice. Seems like NJMS is a clear choice over UCF.

I also have admission to University of South Alabama for their 4+4 non-binding BSMD program. I favor it personally because I loved my visit there, connected with other kids in the program and felt that I will get good guidance from the Program Director. I was told the medical school is rated low tier, vs mid tier for NJMS, so I am hesitant. However, their match list seems good. Could I request help comparing USA vs NJMS, especially since USA in non-binding?

I am clear that my priority is to pursue the school that offers me the best potential. I am averse to harsh winters and have taken some colleges where I have admission off my list due to that (Temple). NJMS weather is ok, I love the research opportunities at the UGs, and I feel I will belong in both the UG and medical community. Thus, I'm seeking guidance to compare USA vs NJMS opportunities based on potential for me to do well in each.

Thank you for putting up with me.

Thank you all for the advice. Seems like NJMS is a clear choice over UCF.

I also have admission to University of South Alabama for their 4+4 non-binding BSMD program. I favor it personally because I loved my visit there, connected with other kids in the program and felt that I will get good guidance from the Program Director. I was told the medical school is rated low tier, vs mid tier for NJMS, so I am hesitant. However, their match list seems good. Could I request help comparing USA vs NJMS, especially since USA in non-binding?

I am clear that my priority is to pursue the school that offers me the best potential. I am averse to harsh winters and have taken some colleges where I have admission off my list due to that (Temple). NJMS weather is ok, I love the research opportunities at the UGs, and I feel I will belong in both the UG and medical community. Thus, I'm seeking guidance to compare USA vs NJMS opportunities based on potential for me to do well in each.

Thank you for putting up with me.

NJMS would be considered low tier as well.. there is no prestige different in the 3 choices. Therefore, pick the program and school you like best--you'll be there for 8+ years. Your happiness will be most important

Reactions: 1 user
TCNJ-NJMS all the way. TCNJ is a great school and a whole lot of fun. Rutgers is fun, and has great science programs, but it's a huge school and a big old mess. Don't even think about NJIT.

The UCF standards are too high to justify going there. The UCF MCAT and GPA averages are 511 and 3.69, respectively—both lower than would be expected of you from the 4+4 program—so what in the world is the point? It sounds like it is harder to get in from their own BS/MD program than from the outside pool at large!

As for USA - I don't see the point of going to a low-ranked school for a non-binding program. If you're thinking of applying out, why not give yourself a better chance and just go to a more prestigious undergrad? You must be a strong student if you got into these programs in the first place, so you shouldn't have any doubt about your ability to hack it in college.

Also - are you from NJ? I am, and I lived in the South for a long while (after college). It's different...and as a young adult you shouldn't overlook how difficult it might be to adapt.

Congrats on all your success so far!

@longhaul3 - Thank you for taking the time to provide me advice. I concur with most of it. USA is not a good choice if I'll apply out. Rice (which I am admitted to) would be a better option. But, I don't want to go through all of this applying again. In which case, NJMS is the best option I have.

I want to share my thoughts on NJIT/Rutgers/TCNJ to get some advice. I recently spent a night at a small LAC that is not too different from TCNJ and couldn't deal with the remoteness. I spent a weekend around NJIT /Rutgers. While the campus was deserted and not very exciting, I had no issues with it. I hope I'll have friends at NJIT who'll have time to hang out with me in the nicer areas nearby (Broad St.) and also hop with me on the train to NY every once in a while. Also, I want to tinker in some Rutgers lab from first year (hopefully continue the lab research I'm doing now), and don't want to commute 30 minutes from TCNJ for it. Between NJIT/Rutgers, though I have free ride at NJIT, is Rutgers the better choice? Am I unaware of/ignoring specific aspects of these two schools or TCNJ?

I am pretty much leaning towards Rutgers Newark-NJMS now. I am visiting there this weekend and hope the visit turns out well. I will also swing by TCNJ. Wish me luck please!

Please advise me on NJIT ($0 cos full-ride) vs Rutgers ($35K??). My parents said they can pay for Rutgers. I am asking if they would rather send me to NJIT with a generous allowance (for those NY visits). Stupid idea?

Bump. Not impatient, sorry. just short of time to make a decision, and hecka nervous. I hope I will get some hSDN advice on NJIT vs Rutgers.

Members don't see this ad :)
OMG!! I just got called from FAU. 3+4 admission with full ride UG and in-state tuition/fees waived for medical college. 3.7 GPA (3.5 sGPA) and ~510 MCAT required. Need to submit primary/secondary app with LORs (and formality interview??) to get into med school. I felt the Deans at FAU had the closest connection to the students, and came across as having personal commitment to the program - I was inspired!

Please help me - how does FAU compare to NJMS?

I have one thing to contribute here - you should really avoid a binding program. These programs generally do not accept students that would struggle to meet their MCAT reqs (for example I'm going to hazard a guess you scored top few percent on the SAT or ACT). The reason these programs exist are because the school wants to nab stellar people that would otherwise be heading elsewhere than their own med school.

So my vote is pick from among your favorite non-binding options. If you kill it in college and score well on the MCAT, this puts you in the best position - solid backup plus the chance to try for some very competitive outside programs.

I hear that scores and facilities/training matter more than colleges for residency. Is it worth taking additional year of application/interview/score prep to get to a better medical college?

I'm drawn to doing what I love and learning what I like instead of counting volunteer/shadow/research activities and science courses. I'll still do a lot of volunteering and research cos that's what I like to do. But, I can now minor in legal studies cos I'm curious about law. I don't have to watch each test and stress about MCAT (assuming NJMS which requires just pass in MCAT). I do really well on tests and I love to test, so I hope I'll kill MCAT. But the point is, I can live without all that stress and be myself for 3 years of college. I spent all my time this school year on apps, and was flying all over the country for interviews past 8-10 weeks. I will be so glad not to do that for another 6 years till residency. If I rock at MCAT, and do well in my future scores, will I be held back that much from going to NJMS than, say Pitt?

I hear that scores and facilities/training matter more than colleges for residency.
Can you clarify what you mean? When you say colleges here you mean medical schools? If so, you are correct that step scores and clinical grades matter a lot more than school name. However the competitive medical programs tend to have various other benefits than just their prestige - namely the people you can have writing you letters, the research opportunities, connection to associated hospital systems which are often competitive (huge numbers of top med school grads stay at their home systems for residency). There is a survey of residency directors you can see here, where 56% say that "graduate of a highly-regarded US MD school" is a factor in deciding who to interview. You can control+f for "grad of a highly..." to find the survey results for each specialty further in the document - generally the trend is that more competitive specialties care more about it.

More competitive specialties also tend to have higher amounts of research on their average matched applicant, and being research powerhouses is sort of the defining feature of top med programs.

If I rock at MCAT, and do well in my future scores, will I be held back that much from going to NJMS than, say Pitt?
It's possible to go anywhere from anywhere...but it's easier from some places.

You're exactly the fish they're hoping to catch with this kind of program. If your dream is to some day be a pediatrician in a small town or something, you are right, it will not affect your life. If you want to be a super-specialized guy doing procedures at a tertiary academic center in something competitive, not the same.

Thank you, I did not know this. I am possibly interested in clinical research for experimental treatments but do not want to lock my interest down as I want to understand medicine more. If I was just myself and did really well in UG & MCAT, I could drop out of BSMD and take the additional year to apply out after my third year. If I were to do that, would coming from lower tiered UG now become a big blocker? Is TCNJ/Rutgers/NJIT more ideal for that? So much to think through :(

None of these undergrad colleges are going to be significantly better than others as far as scoring points with admissions. You should go based on 1) are they offering a med school seat but still letting you try for competitive alternatives and 2) where you want to live for four years.

@efle - thank you, I see what you're saying. The only option I have for your suggestion is USA. UCF needs 3.75 GPA and 512 MCAT, so not a 'safe' option. FAU & NJMS are binding. USA is non-binding with reasonable GAP/MCAT requirements. But, going there means I have to apply out, as their match list does not reflect the residency placements I desire. I don't think it offers much research opportunities either, not sure how to solve for that either.

Do I have the right options to apply your good advice? Maybe not?

Hmm. NJMS might be the way to go with these options after all - when Junior year rolls around if it turns out you've done much better than expected on the MCAT and are otherwise very competitive, you could simply forfeit the safety seat and apply like a normal applicant, right?

Thank you @efle! Yes, NJMS might be the best option I have. Honestly, I am lucky to have options. BSMD outcome is not predictable. Some that applied with me have just one admission or none.

The other possibility is FAU. I have been offered admission to FAU. I am inspired by their Deans and would love to go there. 3+4 binding, full ride for UG and all in-state tuition waived for medical school. Can take a year gap after 3 years UG to establish residency (so medical school will be tuition free). Max Plank & Scripps nearby offer research. must maintain 3.7GPA each semester, 507-510 MCAT, submit full application to FAU, and pass an interview. I would need to drop out of BSMD after 3 years if I do want to apply out. Seems to be a big difference in ranking though and their match list is not yet available to compare 2017. 2016 match list is not that great, but their first graduating medical school batch was 2015.

I don't know now FAU compares to NJMS. Thoughts?

I am a high school senior that has been accepted to BSMD programs at NJMS as well as UCF. Here are the details:
UCF: 4+4, 3.75 overall & science GPA, 512 MCAT and interview in junior year beginning required. Undergrad: UCF
NJMS: 3.6 overall GPA required, MCAT should be taken, score not considered, no additional applications or steps. Undergrad choices: Rutgers, TCNJ, NJIT

I don't know what I want to specialize in yet. I want to go to a medical school that will give me the right research opportunities and support in case I want to pursue translational research.

NJMS: NJMS seems to offer better opportunities for research. For UG, TCNJ seems laid back and chill. I'm doing research in high school and would like to continue research in undergrad, so I'm leaning towards NJIT or Rutgers for UG. Is one of them better than the other for research?

UCF: Their 2017 matches in specialties is good, but I don't know what I'd like to do yet, so does it really matter? I do like the dorms and weather at UCF but those are not gating factors. The high GPA requirements and interview make it less attractive than NJMS. Is there any strong reason UCF would have an edge over NJMS?

I need to made a decision soon and would appreciate suggestions.
Hi, I am a senior in high school and looking to get into NJMS. I need some help with Mock Interviews. Is this something you can help me with or any suggestion on how to prepare as you went thru that process successfully?. Very nervous: (((

Hi, I am a senior in high school and looking to get into NJMS. I need some help with Mock Interviews. Is this something you can help me with or any suggestion on how to prepare as you went thru that process successfully?. Very nervous: (((
This thread is from 4.5 years ago, and that poster hasn't been on this site since. You should make your own thread asking what you want to ask as you won't get it waiting in this one.