NJ Pharmacist License

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jkhwun

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, looking to get my NJ license and Im attending PA pharmacy school. I have completed NJ application for license and submitted application fee.
What do I need to send to the board of pharmacy?
Passport
A check for criminal backgroud $22
A check for initial application fee $70
Receipts of Naplex and MPJE
Is that all?
I will send transcript later when Im about to graduate since Ill have all the grades by then.
What do I need?

Members don't see this ad.

What do I need to send to the board of pharmacy?

NJ was not my primary state but the whole process for me looked like this:
  1. Put in for score transfer to NJ on NABP ($75).
  2. Submitted initial RPh application online at NJ DCA ($125).
  3. Pharm.D. Transcript ordered through school.
  4. Undergrad B.S. Transcript ordered through school.
  5. Copy of NJ DCA checklist (cover) mailed with copy of birth certificate, passport photo, and NJ RPh application payment receipt.
  6. Registered to be able to take NJ MPJE on NABP ($210).
  7. NJ MPJE Eligibility Granted on NABP.
  8. NJ MPJE ATT Received from Pearson Vue.
  9. NJ MPJE Scheduled on Pearson Vue.
  10. Fingerprint cards done at local Police Department.
  11. Mailed fingerprint cards & background check fee ($67.39).
  12. Criminal History Background Check marked completed on NJ DCA checklist.
  13. NJ MPJE Taken.
  14. NJ MPJE Results on NABP.
  15. NJ MPJE Results entered on NJ DCA checklist.
  16. Check for Initial NJ Pharmacist Registration mailed ($140).
  17. NJ Initial Registration Granted.
  18. NJ Wall Certificate Received.
Once you have passed everything you are ready to send in the initial registration fee. They will not send you an invoice. Despite the order on the checklist the fee is required before it goes before the board for approval.

P.S. remember to send everything certified with postcard return receipt.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Also, if they start to take forever even though you have completed everything, just stop by Newark and directly to the Board of Pharmacy. They had my license number ready and handed it to me right there and then.

NJ was not my primary state but the whole process for me looked like this:
  1. Put in for score transfer to NJ on NABP ($75).
  2. Submitted initial RPh application online at NJ DCA ($125).
  3. Pharm.D. Transcript ordered through school.
  4. Undergrad B.S. Transcript ordered through school.
  5. Copy of NJ DCA checklist (cover) mailed with copy of birth certificate, passport photo, and NJ RPh application payment receipt.
  6. Registered to be able to take NJ MPJE on NABP ($210).
  7. NJ MPJE Eligibility Granted on NABP.
  8. NJ MPJE ATT Received from Pearson Vue.
  9. NJ MPJE Scheduled on Pearson Vue.
  10. Fingerprint cards done at local Police Department.
  11. Mailed fingerprint cards & background check fee ($67.39).
  12. Criminal History Background Check marked completed on NJ DCA checklist.
  13. NJ MPJE Taken.
  14. NJ MPJE Results on NABP.
  15. NJ MPJE Results entered on NJ DCA checklist.
  16. Check for Initial NJ Pharmacist Registration mailed ($140).
  17. NJ Initial Registration Granted.
  18. NJ Wall Certificate Received.
Once you have passed everything you are ready to send in the initial registration fee. They will not send you an invoice. Despite the order on the checklist the fee is required before it goes before the board for approval.

P.S. remember to send everything certified with postcard return receipt.

Good Luck!

Do you understand the transfer or reciprocity information for NJ? I'm scared of getting licensed in NJ and having to be stuck working in NJ for 2 years. I'm scared of not getting a job and having to meet the 2 year requirement in NJ before I can transfer which would be problematic if I don't get a job for a few years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm scared of getting licensed in NJ and having to be stuck working in NJ for 2 years. I'm scared of not getting a job and having to meet the 2 year requirement in NJ before I can transfer which would be problematic if I don't get a job for a few years.

You are right to be scared @Q&APharm but this whole situation can be avoided if you get licensed in more than one state right-out-of-school.
For NAPLEX purposes you have one Primary state, but after score transferring you can have multiple original licenses by exam.
I got 4 original licenses by exam in 4 different states within 265 days of graduating.
It is doable. Heck, I took 3 MPJEs within a 72 day window.

Some states give you up to 3 or 5 years to take their MPJE after sending your NAPLEX score.
$75/state is cheap insurance, especially if you are going for a residency or live in the northeast, strike that, anywhere.

If I do for some reason need to get licensed in another state post-score-transfer-expiry I can choose my least restrictive license as the one to transfer out as my license transfer. Do not assume that you need to transfer out your original license in the E-LTP program, but you might have to.

NABP has put together a comprehensive resource...
http://www.nabp.net/programs/assets/State_Restrictions.pdf

Some do require a minimum hours of active practice to reciprocate in.
Some require that your license was in good standing for one year.
If you're reciprocating out from a 'restrictive state,' the state you are reciprocating in to will impose the same threshold.
If you are fresh out of school this may be an issue.
Some states exclude CA or FL.
Most require you to maintain the license you reciprocated in to them, but some will let you lapse.

The biggest caveats are make sure you transfer your NAPLEX scores within 90 days of sitting and be ready to spend, spend, spend...
  • I score transferred to 8 states once I found out I passed the NAPLEX (75 x 8) $600.
  • My 1st state including NAPLEX and MPJE (includes adding immunizer status too but not test prep materials) cost me $1664.
  • 2nd state (app. + first reg. + NAPLEX score x-fer + MPJE test) cost me $385.
  • 3rd state cost me $609.
  • 4th state cost me $807.
Here is a thread about seeking multiple licensures right-out-of-school…
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/pharmacy-jurisdictions-smarter-to-choose-state-you-graduated-from.1173810

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Has anyone received ATT from NJ Board of pharmacy? How long did it take? I know that my paperwork was delivered but my status is incomplete according to their website. Is there a phone number to contact them and how do you receive ATT (email/letter) ? Thanks in advance.

You are right to be scared @Q&APharm but this whole situation can be avoided if you get licensed in more than one state right-out-of-school.
For NAPLEX purposes you have one Primary state, but after score transferring you can have multiple original licenses by exam.
I got 4 original licenses by exam in 4 different states within 265 days of graduating.
It is doable. Heck, I took 3 MPJEs within a 72 day window.

Some states give you up to 3 or 5 years to take their MPJE after sending your NAPLEX score.
$75/state is cheap insurance, especially if you are going for a residency or live in the northeast, strike that, anywhere.

If I do for some reason need to get licensed in another state post-score-transfer-expiry I can choose my least restrictive license as the one to transfer out as my license transfer. Do not assume that you need to transfer out your original license in the E-LTP program, but you might have to.

NABP has put together a comprehensive resource...
http://www.nabp.net/programs/assets/State_Restrictions.pdf

Some do require a minimum hours of active practice to reciprocate in.
Some require that your license was in good standing for one year.
If you're reciprocating out from a 'restrictive state,' the state you are reciprocating in to will impose the same threshold.
If you are fresh out of school this may be an issue.
Some states exclude CA or FL.
Most require you to maintain the license you reciprocated in to them, but some will let you lapse.

The biggest caveats are make sure you transfer your NAPLEX scores within 90 days of sitting and be ready to spend, spend, spend...
  • I score transferred to 8 states once I found out I passed the NAPLEX (75 x 8) $600.
  • My 1st state including NAPLEX and MPJE (includes adding immunizer status too but not test prep materials) cost me $1664.
  • 2nd state (app. + first reg. + NAPLEX score x-fer + MPJE test) cost me $385.
  • 3rd state cost me $609.
  • 4th state cost me $807.
Here is a thread about seeking multiple licensures right-out-of-school…
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/pharmacy-jurisdictions-smarter-to-choose-state-you-graduated-from.1173810

Good Luck!

Hey all! I have a question about the NJ license process as I am from a different state.

Is there a form we need to include that our school fills out with our transcript? Also is there a cover sheet we include with our picture, background check etc? Lastly the initial license fee is an ADDITIONAL fee + the application fee?

Sorry its super confusing! Thanks for all your help