NIH Loan Repayment Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mahya

Deeply Motivated Dreamer
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am incoming student for Fall 06 and due to high cost of USC, I am trying to look for scholarships and some alternates to loans..I read about NIH Loan repayment program that they pay up to 35,000 a year of your loan and pay your taxes for 2 year commitment in research (20 hrs a week). I was wondering has someone already applied for this program and if so can you practice dentistry while doing research...

Also if anyone has any ideas that can help me to apply for scholarship, fellowships so I would minimize my debt (I will be attending USC) I really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Dental school scholarship are mainly based on merits. Private school offers their own scholarship but have specific requirements. The other one u can look into is Navy, Army and things like that. They pay a great amount of $$. I dont know anyone in dentistry is doing the loan repayment program. M boyfriend is applying for that as part of his medical residency training where he's required to do 2 yrs of research. But think about this, if you work 20 hrs a week, you can make more than 35,000 a yr. Why do reserach when you can make more money?

Do u have parents or spouse who's part of the USC faculty or staff? My dad teaches at USC so I could have qualifed for 40% tuition discount but I chose not to goto USC.

mahya said:
I am incoming student for Fall 06 and due to high cost of USC, I am trying to look for scholarships and some alternates to loans..I read about NIH Loan repayment program that they pay up to 35,000 a year of your loan and pay your taxes for 2 year commitment in research (20 hrs a week). I was wondering has someone already applied for this program and if so can you practice dentistry while doing research...

Also if anyone has any ideas that can help me to apply for scholarship, fellowships so I would minimize my debt (I will be attending USC) I really appreciate it.