NIH Loan Repayment Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard from NIMH?

Members don't see this ad.

Just to clarify, no one has actually been awarded yet, correct? Only financial reviews?

Also, just an FYI, I spoke with NIH and apparently financial reviews are not done after the first renewal... so, don't fret if you're on a second+ renewal and haven't heard anything just yet. You likely won't until you are either funded or thrown into the pit of despair :(
Just financial review for me so far, not awarded (first time applicant, NIMHD)

So I'm curious -- how do you know when you're actually rejected? Will my application just always say submitted or will it eventually change to denied?

Anyone heard from NIA?

Members don't see this ad :)
My IC is NHLBI. I have not received an e-mail but when I log in, the status has changed to selected. Who knows!?

Has anyone that applied as a first time applicant for the Clinical Research LRP heard from NHLBI?

Just financial review for me so far, not awarded (first time applicant, NIMHD)
Got an email that they received all the required documents, and the status says approved next to each promissory note and loan statement. My overall applicant status still says selected, so now I guess I just have to wait until they make the decisions.

Got an email that they received all the required documents, and the status says approved next to each promissory note and loan statement. My overall applicant status still says selected, so now I guess I just have to wait until they make the decisions.

Hi! Congrats on your notification. Do you mind sharing what program you applied to? There are a few that go to NIMHD. (Clinical; Clinical For Individuals from Disadvantaged Backgrounds; and Health Disparities Research). I heard that the different programs might be on different timelines - so just wanted to see which one has already notified. Thank you!

So, I emailed my LRP liaison/NIDDK and they gave me direct feedback on my application, while my LRP says "submitted" I'm pretty sure I didn't get it, really wish they would give immediate decisions... Last year I did not receive any notice until September, slow torture!

I contacted my liaison as well, that's a good idea!

They said that my score was modestly outside of the range they were considering funding this year. The reviewers apparently didn't like that I chose to do a postdoc at the same university where I did my PhD, which kind of sucks since I just got a postdoc grant to do research here for another 2 years... -_-

I contacted my liaison as well, that's a good idea!

They said that my score was modestly outside of the range they were considering funding this year. The reviewers apparently didn't like that I chose to do a postdoc at the same university where I did my PhD, which kind of sucks since I just got a postdoc grant to do research here for another 2 years... -_-

Jesus, that's super subjective! The main issue they had with mine was that my mentor was at another campus (at a university an hr away from mine in the same state!) which I can sort of understand, but also kind of annoying!

Hi! Congrats on your notification. Do you mind sharing what program you applied to? There are a few that go to NIMHD. (Clinical; Clinical For Individuals from Disadvantaged Backgrounds; and Health Disparities Research). I heard that the different programs might be on different timelines - so just wanted to see which one has already notified. Thank you!
Thanks. Health Disparities.

Has anyone heard from NIDDK re: financial review? Just wondering if any emails have gone out from them...

I submitted for my second renewal this past application season with NIDA. Because my application still said "Submitted" I contacted the NIDA LRP rep who told me that my application won't be funded this year. Which is a serious bummer. But the reason I'm posting is that (a) the rep was forthcoming and offered to set up a phone call with me to go over reviews, as they aren't allowed to send them directly to the applicants, and (b) at least for NIDA, they prioritize the first three years of funding (the initial two-year application and the first renewal). Subsequent renewals will only get funded if they happen to have the money and the applicant is "exceptional." I don't know if other institutes work the same way, just thought it might be useful information for people on this board.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted for my second renewal this past application season with NIDA. Because my application still said "Submitted" I contacted the NIDA LRP rep who told me that my application won't be funded this year. Which is a serious bummer. But the reason I'm posting is that (a) the rep was forthcoming and offered to set up a phone call with me to go over reviews, as they aren't allowed to send them directly to the applicants, and (b) at least for NIDA, they prioritize the first three years of funding (the initial two-year application and the first renewal). Subsequent renewals will only get funded if they happen to have the money and the applicant is "exceptional." I don't know if other institutes work the same way, just thought it might be useful information for people on this board.

Bummer. I was told the same thing from the NIDA PO last year re: decreasing odds of renewal after the first one (progressively decreasing, apparently). I got the initial 2 years + 2 1-year renewals, which might be the equivalent of 1 2-year renewal? I will say that all renewals came when I was a postdoc at a med school in a well-funded lab and then nada since I've been a faculty member at a less-resourced (but still PhD-granting) university. I haven't heard yet on mine from NIDA but am assuming a similar outcome to yours. I guess I will bite the bullet and email!

Has anyone heard from NIDA?

Update: (Initial Applicant, NIDA)

The good news -- I e-mailed the PO and she set up a telephone call with me the same day to provide feedback. I had chatted with her about my application during the submission stage and found her to be just as helpful and pleasant during our feedback call.

The bad news (or maybe good news for next year?) -- Despite the PO's speedy response and willingness to set up a feedback call, there was no feedback to give. While we were on the telephone, she went through the comments and seemed at a loss for what she could say in terms of feedback to improve my application for next year. My application was competitively scored and received favorably by the reviewers. In the end, she said I was high on the list in the section that would have been funded if NIDA had not "lost a chunk of their expected funds this cycle."

Has anyone experienced a similar situation? If so, did you simply make minor updates and submit the same application for the subsequent cycle? Also, did you have success on the second go-around? Thanks!

The good news -- I e-mailed the PO and she set up a telephone call with me the same day to provide feedback. I had chatted with her about my application during the submission stage and found her to be just as helpful and pleasant during our feedback call.

The bad news (or maybe good news for next year?) -- Despite the PO's speedy response and willingness to set up a feedback call, there was no feedback to give. While we were on the telephone, she went through the comments and seemed at a loss for what she could say in terms of feedback to improve my application for next year. My application was competitively scored and received favorably by the reviewers. In the end, she said I was high on the list in the section that would have been funded if NIDA had not "lost a chunk of their expected funds this cycle."

Has anyone experienced a similar situation? If so, did you simply make minor updates and submit the same application for the subsequent cycle? Also, did you have success on the second go-around? Thanks!

No additional info, but solidarity (I was told the same thing about being competitively scored and that I would have been funded if they had gotten that extra $, though mine is a renewal). In general, though, my advice would be to potentially have someone else read your application and provide feedback. Make updates and submit again, but try to amp up the significance and innovation portions, and try to submit a grant or something (even a small one) between now and November.

This is the feedback I received last year (NIMHD) and also told in previous years it would have been funded based on the score I received. Basically it just means you are losing out to applicants who were scored higher because they were more senior, and there isn't much you can do about that except continue doing what you are doing and re-apply.

I essentially submitted the same application with some very minor updates and went through another round of review with colleagues. Looks like I did not get it again this year as my app still says submitted. I am dreading the call to the PO because I honestly would rather hear there is something I could do to improve my application other than "try again next year, maybe we will have more funding." It sounds like funding for the LRP is getting tighter and tighter, as with many other mechanisms at NIH. You can check the numbers on the NIH Reporter website. There was a huge dip in NIMHD LRP accepted applications last year. I am sure some of the other ICs had similar issues, and considering the current political climate, I am not surprised this is happening again this year.

A little update for those of us waiting on pins and needles: I talked to my PO today. She said that the LRP is nearing completion of all financial reviews which will be done by the end of the week, so next week, consideration will be beginning for which applications to fund.

So, if my application status says "submitted" still for NIHMD, does that mean it was not funded?

Also, is there an easy way to figure out who to call to talk about it? (How did you know who your PO is)?

thanks!

So, if my application status says "submitted" still for NIHMD, does that mean it was not funded?

Also, is there an easy way to figure out who to call to talk about it? (How did you know who your PO is)?

thanks!

You can look for your PO contact here: Contact & Engage | NIH: Division of Loan Repayment

If my status is "selected" does anyone know what that means at this point? The whole process seems opaque.

Also to the SDN moderators: is it possible to make this thread more of it's own rather than part of psych? This is a topic that is of interest to many/all and I didnt even know this was an option until long after starting my first job. Thanks!

Also to the SDN moderators: is it possible to make this thread more of it's own rather than part of psych? This is a topic that is of interest to many/all and I didnt even know this was an option until long after starting my first job. Thanks!

Why wouldn't this be a part of psych? The people in these threads are applying as psychologists/post-docs in psychology. Yes, there are options for physicians as well, but this thread is really (as I understand it) for folks in psych talking about their applications. We have different struggles in getting these compared to the med folks.

You can look for your PO contact here: Contact & Engage | NIH: Division of Loan Repayment

If my status is "selected" does anyone know what that means at this point? The whole process seems opaque.

If your status is "selected" -- that means selected for financial review. You should have received an email from LRP -- requesting your financial documents to upload. Did you receive an email?

Selected = selected for financial review, the first step. Not a guarantee of funding but you should have gotten an email to provide further financial information and it is a good sign.
If you get funded, the status will change to "approved" according to what I have read on this thread :)

thanks!
No way to know for sure, but it is less likely to be funded. They try to check all financial info at the same time, so ask for it from anyone who they think might be funded. I would definitely recommend talking to your PO to get some feedback.

This waiting is killing me! My PO said initial funding decisions will be made by the end of the month. It is so close...

Why wouldn't this be a part of psych? The people in these threads are applying as psychologists/post-docs in psychology. Yes, there are options for physicians as well, but this thread is really (as I understand it) for folks in psych talking about their applications. We have different struggles in getting these compared to the med folks.

Well because the overall process seems the same to me in terms of timing, status, etc. It would be of help to the broader community of MD and non-MDs. I havent seen a psych specific post/question in years on this thread. There are no other LRP threads that I can find.... enough reasons? :) mods?

Selected = selected for financial review, the first step. Not a guarantee of funding but you should have gotten an email to provide further financial information and it is a good sign.
If you get funded, the status will change to "approved" according to what I have read on this thread :)

Great - I have sent in all my documents so hopefully a decision is made soon!

I'm having trouble logging in to the LRP online application site. Anyone else? When I enter my credentials, it just bumps me back to the main LRP page. No error message. I'm pretty sure I entered my password correctly.....

I'm having trouble logging in to the LRP online application site. Anyone else? When I enter my credentials, it just bumps me back to the main LRP page. No error message. I'm pretty sure I entered my password correctly.....

your password expired. reupdate at nih commons.

Ughhhhhhh I wish they'd let us know!!
According to my PO, initial funding decisions have now been made, so I assume they will begin informing people within the relatively near future. They got their budgets very late this year given the political situation, so are scrambling around.

Yes, same for NHLBI, original award email was August 23rd, and renewal was August 24th. Best thing people can do is post when they hear from their respective programs/divisions to let people know, otherwise no point worrying about it until then or the end of August. Some years people have actually heard back about awards after the NEXT application cycle starts...

I received my approval for funding for the LRP by NIDDK this morning. Good luck to everyone.

Has anyone else been notified of award??

Has anyone else been notified of award??
Nothing yet from NIAAA. I'm not sure of the timing of decisions this cycle - for whatever it's worth, last year the rejection notice for my renewal arrived on 8/25.

Heard a few days ago from NCI that their office is not yet finished vetting possible contracts, and until they are, no final decisions will be made.

My application went from "selected" to "submitted." Bad sign? Thoughts?

Was approved for LRP from NIMH this morning.

My application went from "selected" to "submitted." Bad sign? Thoughts?
Same from NIDDK last week. I'm guessing bad sign since someone already heard yes from them? Is it possible for an institute to approve in batches?