NIH Could Face $6 Billion cut in new budget

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 1 user
Congress would not allow that to happen... seriously. I have lobbied as a citizen (personal time) every year for NIH increases or at least just to keep to inflation. The change that will happen at NIH is a reorganization of the institutes and discontinuation of Fogarty grants for at least until the next administration.

Congress is very aware of the economic impact of the extramural programs in their districts. Members and Senators need to be re-elected. It's a non-starter...

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Congress would not allow that to happen... seriously. I have lobbied as a citizen (personal time) every year for NIH increases or at least just to keep to inflation. The change that will happen at NIH is a reorganization of the institutes and discontinuation of Fogarty grants for at least until the next administration.

Congress is very aware of the economic impact of the extramural programs in their districts.
Good to hear! Is it possible that any of current admin's policies/budgets will adversely affect MSTP funding?

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 3 users
I agree, it won't be 20%, but I think there will be cuts to the NIH. Cutting federal agencies is the only way to offset the reduction in taxes. I think it is the completely wrong approach, but it is what it is.

On a side note, the DoD funds all sorts of medical and science based projects... you just have to put a military-related spin on it...
https://www.grants.gov/et/web/grants/learn-grants/grant-making-agencies/department-of-defense.html

the only way out will be to include Mind Controlled Laser Dolphin Strike Team as the translational end point on all grants.

Reactions: 4 users
the only way out will be to include Mind Controlled Laser Dolphin Strike Team as the translational end point on all grants.

Yeah. Maybe something like this...
7kEsMh5.gif

Reactions: 4 users

Congress is very aware of the economic impact of the extramural programs in their districts. Members and Senators need to be re-elected. It's a non-starter...
Are currently accepted MSTP students guaranteed their funding for the length of their program? Like funding cannot be revoked once awarded to the institution correct?

Are currently accepted MSTP students guaranteed their funding for the length of their program? Like funding cannot be revoked once awarded to the institution correct?

Funding can be discontinued or furloughed at the annual progress report review. This has not happened that I know of to anyone I know...but hey you never know these days...

Funding can be discontinued or furloughed at the annual progress report review. This has not happened that I know of to anyone I know...but hey you never know these days...
Thanks for the reply. Sigh... I guess ill just hope for the best... and protest this absurd administration.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the reply. Sigh... I guess ill just hope for the best... and protest this absurd administration.

There's very little you can do to "protest". In general most of this occurs at a behind the scenes level, with which you have no direct influence. What you need to know at your level is that government funding for science is very unstable. It comes and goes, and often randomly. The association between funding and quality of science is also not particularly strong. Identify alternatives as early as possible. Use MSTP as way to get a free medical training. Science career is intrinsically unstable and rely a lot on availability of existing financial resources.

There's very little you can do to "protest". In general most of this occurs at a behind the scenes level, with which you have no direct influence. What you need to know at your level is that government funding for science is very unstable. It comes and goes, and often randomly. The association between funding and quality of science is also not particularly strong. Identify alternatives as early as possible. Use MSTP as way to get a free medical training. Science career is intrinsically unstable and rely a lot on availability of existing financial resources.
Thank you for your reply.

While science funding has historically been all over the place, it is possible for a government to get its priorities straight and consistently provide for its innovative citizens (who, when given the resources needed for success, end up contributing massively to the nation in question's GDP). While these decisions are made behind closed doors, they are made by elected officials and the results are certainly public. It is therefore possible to put pressure on elected officials not to de-fund popular things like medical research. Thus, I protest the notion by any government official that scientific progress should not be a top priority (it certainly not given the approximate 1% of the budget that is currently offered to science), because they the support of myself and people like me in order to remain employed.

I agree that at some point massively funding a lab becomes wasteful, however there is certainly a minimum financial threshold needed for success. I've personally worked in multiple labs scraping bottom, and it greatly hinders progress when you need to forgo things like RNAseq and waste time doing qPCR.

That being said, it is true that we must prepare for the worst. Being a dedicated clinician would also be a blast, of course given the problems due to ensue under the proposed republican healthcare bill idk...

Members don't see this ad :)

While science funding has historically been all over the place, it is possible for a government to get its priorities straight and consistently provide for its innovative citizens (who, when given the resources needed for success, end up contributing massively to the nation in question's GDP). While these decisions are made behind closed doors, they are made by elected officials and the results are certainly public. It is therefore possible to put pressure on elected officials not to de-fund popular things like medical research. Thus, I protest the notion by any government official that scientific progress should not be a top priority (it certainly not given the approximate 1% of the budget that is currently offered to science), because they the support of myself and people like me in order to remain employed.

I'm not disagreeing at all. I'm just saying that you have no voice. Your opinion doesn't matter one iota to these "elected officials". You can make calls or rally or whatever, but nobody really cares. The only thing you can do is inform yourself and keep an open mind. And become wealthy in the process if you can. The system is rigged against you (as a budding physician scientist). More likely than not you will fail. The earlier you realize this the better.

Most of these programs have significant endowments, which would be used to cover obligations. You could easily see a class-action if an institution walks away without making sure that the students are cared, after all, you could have potentially taken another offer. A program in financial difficulties might discontinue taking any new students or downsize via attrition but wouldn't stop funding a student in good standing.

I'm not disagreeing at all. I'm just saying that you have no voice. Your opinion doesn't matter one iota to these "elected officials". You can make calls or rally or whatever, but nobody really cares. The only thing you can do is inform yourself and keep an open mind. And become wealthy in the process if you can. The system is rigged against you (as a budding physician scientist). More likely than not you will fail. The earlier you realize this the better.

As someone who has spoken with "elected" officials multiple times but also backed-up that with voting, attending town-hall meetings, and contributed to re-election campaigns, you can make your opinion count... You can inform their staffers about the local impact of their voting decisions. You can write and visit repeatedly, but you must vote including in primaries, which determines your "presumed" political affiliation.

In fiscal year 2010, NIH, DOD, and VA obligated about $40 billion, $1.3 billion, and $563 million, respectively, for activities related to health research.
see: http://www.gao.gov/modules/ereport/...ata_center/Health/14._Health_Research_Funding

Reactions: 2 users
Most of these programs have significant endowments, which would be used to cover obligations. You could easily see a class-action if an institution walks away without making sure that the students are cared, after all, you could have potentially taken another offer. A program in financial difficulties might discontinue taking any new students or downsize via attrition but wouldn't stop funding a student in good standing.

That is reassuring... I suppose there would be a strong legal case against universities that withhold promised support from a student and so they would just front the cost if necessary. Thank you for your insight!

While I agree they aren't likely to be successful with cuts of this size, I do think there will be substantial cuts. Between cuts to research, cuts to the cdc and public health funding etc all of my favored career paths seem to be getting a bit rockier.

Last edited:
@Fencer what are good places to dig up examples of why funding biomedical science is important and beneficial to their respective districts* ?I think it's easier to speak in general conceptual terms of the benefits, but I struggle more with examples of locally relevant, tangible benefits.

*edited-districts, not differences

Last edited:
@Fencer what are good places to dig up examples of why funding biomedical science is important and beneficial to their respective differencs. I think it's easier to speak in general conceptual terms of the benefits, but I struggle more with examples of locally relevant, tangible benefits.
Here is a link that allows you to see NIH funding at the legislative district level. http://faseb.org/Science-Policy-and...ta/Federal-Funding-by-State-and-District.aspx

A few years ago, the NIH's director of the MSTP was quite clear about the importance of spreading the wealth around the country. Pointing to a map that showed the location of NIH-funded MD-PhD programs, he said that it was hard to justify to taxpayers and politicians in the rest of the country why funds were concentrated along the coasts. He pointed out that there were only 5 NIH-funded programs between the Mississippi River and the Sierra Nevada. While there are plenty of good reasons for this distribution, he said that politics is not rational. (Boy, was he right.) Spreading the wealth around is important if you want to build and maintain support for a program. I have an acquaintance who works for a defense contractor, and he said this is standard practice in that industry. The perfect fighter plane would be one that had components manufactured in all 435 congressional districts. Even if the plane was incapable of flying, it would still be assured of being funded.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...4_story.html?tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.f5ab41a5f10f

"The National Institutes of Health, for example, would be cut by nearly $6 billion, about a fifth of the NIH budget."

Thoughts?

Here's my thought:

The MD/PhD students/applicants in this thread have a short-term view. The long-term reality is that the number of actual physician-scientist jobs out there for new graduates is small and decreasing. The more the funding is cut or the more unstable the funding becomes, the less your chances of getting a physician-scientist position.

I ran smack into this when I finished residency. I had no fellowship or research job options. So I'm a clinician. So is just about everyone else graduating nowadays. I'm not even sure what the point is of having all these MD/PhD programs and preserving our funding if there's not going to be jobs to use these degrees at the end of the pipeline.

@Fencer what are good places to dig up examples of why funding biomedical science is important and beneficial to their respective differencs. I think it's easier to speak in general conceptual terms of the benefits, but I struggle more with examples of locally relevant, tangible benefits.

There have been some studies on ROI for biomedical research, I'll dig them up later

http://weill.cornell.edu/mdphd/bm~doc/are-mdphd-programs-meetin.pdf

"... most MD–PhD program graduates (80%) are in careers generally consistent with the goal of MD– PhD training, which is to train physicians who are committed to the quest for new knowledge and new approaches to disease diagnosis, prevention, and treatment"

Also from figure 2, looks like ~40% of graduates in academia end up doing the 80-20 research-practice

Here's my thought:

The MD/PhD students/applicants in this thread have a short-term view. The long-term reality is that the number of actual physician-scientist jobs out there for new graduates is small and decreasing. The more the funding is cut or the more unstable the funding becomes, the less your chances of getting a physician-scientist position.

I ran smack into this when I finished residency. I had no fellowship or research job options. So I'm a clinician. So is just about everyone else graduating nowadays. I'm not even sure what the point is of having all these MD/PhD programs and preserving our funding if there's not going to be jobs to use these degrees at the end of the pipeline.

Agree a thousand percent. If there were a 20% NIH budget cut, frankly I think 50% of the T series grants should be cut. PIs should just use their R series grants to hire staff on a temporary basis to do the work like every other normal business. This is also what some of the well known people on the Internet says (DrugMonkey, etc.)

50-80% percent of "training" positions in biomedical research should not exist. The very idea of needing a "postdoctoral fellowship" is pure mythical marketing BS created by lack of funding. You can't possibly learn all the skills, and PIs used to just have collaborators if they don't know something. AS THEY SHOULD. MSTP grads end up doing "some research", but that's because 1) they self select (because of existing wealth) 2) they self subsidize with their poorly paid clinical activities. Ha--Medicare dollars subsidizing biomedical research, clever! This is not a "success"...it's a compromise. Lower tier PhD programs are not worth going to. It's just a fact. Lower tier MD/PhD programs are worth going to, but only because 1) med school is paid for. 2) the MD is worth something. Lower tier PhD programs (I'm talking anything below USNWR 50), except for certain fields (i.e. comp sci, econ, etc.) are basically a worthless waste of time from a financial perspective. Do you know who in the end get faculty positions? 1) wealthy people, who don't really care how much they get paid, so they can afford to apply for grants and fail and fail and fail. 2) people with pedigree and got really lucky. 3) at times, workaholics who have no life outside of work. And even then your chances are very bad if you aren't lucky or don't know the right people. In fact, there are plenty of examples of people who work really hard and don't get anywhere at all and ruin their lives. A few even committed suicide. And of course this rules out women and minorities, because if you grew up poor or need to support/care for a family, how can you possibly be a workaholic and make 42k for 5 years, even if you wanted to, then apply for funding that has a 10% shot that only pays half your salary for another 5 years?

And don't get me even started on "talking to politicians". Politicians have NEVER, EVER, EVER cared one bit about the scientists working in the field. They only care about science because at times (i.e. Alzheimer's, cancer, mental health) serves some PR purpose. Don't you see that whoever Congressman you talked to who seemed "really nice" and friendly to science will NEVER think about you for more than 1 second when they vote? They have much more pressing things to worry about that actually affect their district votes.

The only way science can influence politics is if it organized itself just as any other special interest group. And in order to do that, you have to first become exclusive through licensure, guilding, etc. like the physicians. second, have a lot of money. Which, is feasible in theory, but in practice won't happen for a while since the community frankly lacks leadership.

Last edited:
http://weill.cornell.edu/mdphd/bm~doc/are-mdphd-programs-meetin.pdf

"... most MD–PhD program graduates (80%) are in careers generally consistent with the goal of MD– PhD training, which is to train physicians who are committed to the quest for new knowledge and new approaches to disease diagnosis, prevention, and treatment"

Also from figure 2, looks like ~40% of graduates in academia end up doing the 80-20 research-practice

This data is based on all program graduates from the start of MD/PhD programs.

IMNSHO, all data for and advice from program graduates before the year 2000 should be thrown out.

The opportunities for those who graduated in the 1970s, 1980s, and most of the 1990s were completely different than anyone who graduated in the last decade. Funding stagnated since 2001 and it's been a declining job market for faculty ever since. Time will tell what the outcomes are for those who graduated in the 2000s and 2010s. Anecdote is that it'll be a much different set of data. My guess is that whenever they get done their increasingly long training (8+ year program average, steadily increasingly competitive and lengthy residencies/fellowships/post-docs), only 20% or less will actually be in academics doing 50%+ research.

Here is a link that allows you to see NIH funding at the legislative district level. http://faseb.org/Science-Policy-and...ta/Federal-Funding-by-State-and-District.aspx

A few years ago, the NIH's director of the MSTP was quite clear about the importance of spreading the wealth around the country. Pointing to a map that showed the location of NIH-funded MD-PhD programs, he said that it was hard to justify to taxpayers and politicians in the rest of the country why funds were concentrated along the coasts. He pointed out that there were only 5 NIH-funded programs between the Mississippi River and the Sierra Nevada. While there are plenty of good reasons for this distribution, he said that politics is not rational. (Boy, was he right.) Spreading the wealth around is important if you want to build and maintain support for a program. I have an acquaintance who works for a defense contractor, and he said this is standard practice in that industry. The perfect fighter plane would be one that had components manufactured in all 435 congressional districts. Even if the plane was incapable of flying, it would still be assured of being funded.

This is an interesting point I hadn't thought about actually, but, from a political POV makes complete sense.

My personal opinion is that an 18% cut to NIH is unlikely but I don't see a future where funding isn't cut. The proposed increase to defense spending is 54 billion $ and taxes are being cut. Money has to come from somewhere and the executive branches are more likely to take a hit than education or Medicare/Medicaid/Social security (which are untouchable politically); that much is obvious from the budget proposal.

Has Trump chosen a new NIH director? Is Francis Collins staying? if no decision has been made for this position...I can't imagine the trump admin takes the NIH's mission with any amount of seriousness.

This is an interesting point I hadn't thought about actually, but, from a political POV makes complete sense.

My personal opinion is that an 18% cut to NIH is unlikely but I don't see a future where funding isn't cut. The proposed increase to defense spending is 54 billion $ and taxes are being cut. Money has to come from somewhere and the executive branches are more likely to take a hit than education or Medicare/Medicaid/Social security (which are untouchable politically); that much is obvious from the budget proposal.

Has Trump chosen a new NIH director? Is Francis Collins staying? if no decision has been made for this position...I can't imagine the trump admin takes the NIH's mission with any amount of seriousness.

Francis Collins is staying, at least for now. Trump asked him to stay on shortly after inauguration.

To be honest, this is the first time Trump has mentioned NIH at all, but from a lot of his other comments, it seems like he's relying on Tom Price to figure out any of the actual details for DHHS spending. The only thing I've seen in his budget is getting rid of Fogarty International Center (which is like, 5 people in a house) who are responsible for visas for all of the international fellows.

Last edited:
And don't get me even started on "talking to politicians". Politicians have NEVER, EVER, EVER cared one bit about the scientists working in the field. They only care about science because at times (i.e. Alzheimer's, cancer, mental health) serves some PR purpose. Don't you see that whoever Congressman you talked to who seemed "really nice" and friendly to science will NEVER think about you for more than 1 second when they vote? They have much more pressing things to worry about that actually affect their district votes.

You know, they are humans who have families. I have talked with a representative whose spouse has MS, another one had a child with epilepsy, another one with a father with Alzheimer's disease... They are smarter and more caring that you are giving credit for.

You know, they are humans who have families. I have talked with a representative whose spouse has MS, another one had a child with epilepsy, another one with a father with Alzheimer's disease... They are smarter and more caring that you are giving credit for.

I don't know what to tell you except to say that I think you are naive, tenured or not, program director or not. Of course I won't say that to your face in person, but this is the internet so what the heck. Sure, some of them are smart and do care a little bit and have families who have stuff going on, but at the END of the day, they really only care about things that get them re-elected, which is campaign money and electoral support. Let's not delude ourselves. Nobody *really* cares (enough) about science. Or else we wouldn't have a budget freeze for 20 years--for an issue that SUPPOSEDLY has a "strong BIPARTISAN support"? Everything is just lip service. Furthermore, a LOT of what NIH funds has nothing to do with finding a cure for any of the illnesses people might have, so that justification alone cannot possibly hold much water.

The reality is nobody cares. Nothing you do will matter. Funding will continue to drop. Brace yourselves. Marry someone wealthy. You can try to delude yourself into believing a better future. The students IMHO need another a version of the truth. Most of them will not have the kind of jobs you have. A vast majority of them will never have R01s--things will fall apart at some point no matter how hard they might've tried. Those with R01s will have non-renewals. Many of them will drop out in mid career. Things will never get better in our lifetime. They may very likely get worse.

Last edited:
You are entitled to your opinion... Every year, the bipartisan support restores limited money to the President's budget for NIH. This is not an alternative fact. Our future obligations, social security and medicare are 2/3 of the budget, the non-discretionary part. That is what limits people from doubling the NIH budget. Watch Collins testimony to Congress committees. It might be very educative to people getting into a career in Science:

You are entitled to your opinion... Every year, the bipartisan support restores limited money to the President's budget for NIH. This is not an alternative fact. Our future obligations, social security and medicare are 2/3 of the budget, the non-discretionary part. That is what limits people from doubling the NIH budget. Watch Collins testimony to Congress committees. It might be very educative to people getting into a career in Science:

I don't see how this contradicts what I said at all. Every single year budget gets "cut". Congress tries to patch it up, but it still doesn't beat inflation. 21Century American Cures act supposedly would start a sustained increase in allocation. But of course, it has no teeth because it requires executive cooperation to come up with the money somewhere.

Frankly I think the committees don't care what Francis Collins says. The committees have other much more pressing priorities, like, for example, entitlement reform. The fact that he keeps showing up and talking, doing the circus show, and NOTHING has changed in 20 years before and during him, I think is in itself the best argument for my opinion. Congressmen are voting with their feet... their voting record says I don't care.

Sure you can say maybe it's just not within their power to change the budget allocation. They are trying their best. Okay, then...it means that they have no power to make things BETTER either. So, as it stands, things will only either stay as bad as it is or get worse.

I agree people who go into this should look at the federal budget in more detail, and look at how inflation adjusted NIH budget in time. People should look at how many R01s are filed, how many are funded. People should look at how many PhDs graduate and how many become R01 awardees. People should look at the NIH salary lines, and how long postdocs are. They need to make informed decisions and if they want to gamble with their careers.

Last edited:
I started a thread in the sociopolitical lounge on a related topic (Trump's appointment of a new FDA commissioner with ties to the pharmaceutical industry); in it, another member and I discuss the $6 billion NIH budget cut versus the $6 billion NIH/FDA 21st Century Cures Act https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/opinion-on-new-fda-commissioner.1247385/. IMO, Trump is more or less pushing Universities to do more translational research and provide a means for the increase in # of clinical trials/FDA approved drugs coming as a result of FDA de-regulation to offset drug price reduction; appointing an FDA commissioner (Scott Gottlieb Scott Gottlieb - Wikipedia) with pharma-ties will assist the above. As I mentioned in my thread, it looks like a good time to be involved with T2 research and clinical trials.

Last edited:
I started a thread in the sociopolitical lounge on a related topic (Trump's appointment of a new FDA commissioner with ties to the pharmaceutical industry); in it, another member and I discuss the $6 billion NIH budget cut versus the $6 billion NIH/FDA 21st Century Cures Act https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/opinion-on-new-fda-commissioner.1247385/. IMO, Trump is more or less pushing Universities to do more translational research and provide a means for the increase in # of clinical trials/FDA approved drugs coming as a result of FDA de-regulation to offset drug price reduction; appointing an FDA commissioner (Scott Gottlieb Scott Gottlieb - Wikipedia) with pharma-ties will assist the above. As I mentioned in my thread, it looks like a good time to be involved with T2 research and clinical trials.

Clinical trials are important but in the long run not nearly as important (or as interesting) as basic science.

The majority of clinical trials do not result in the development of a novel treatment. Usually they create an alternative to an already available product. Further, they are hugely expensive and we have virtually exhausted the traditional pathway of coming up with new drugs (figure out a mechanism >> create an inhibitor that throws a wrench in the mechanism in a Petri dish), which is why there has been a major slowdown in the development of new drugs (graph is available somewhere, google "Eroom's Law").

If we want to create new interventions we need better science done in model systems that can better recapitulate the human environment than a Petri dish or knockout mouse. That's why it's important to push research in areas aimed at developing things like the tissue chips and the humanoid mice.

Pharmaceutical companies will invest in anything that will make them money. In the long run basic science is the better investment for society but it will never be prioritized over the short term profit of bringing a new drug to market even if that drug does nothing new.

Im sure many physician scientists would be fine working in such a scheme (clinical trials) but I for one have no interest

Last edited:
IMO, Trump is more or less pushing Universities to do more translational research and provide a means for the increase in # of clinical trials/FDA approved drugs coming as a result of FDA de-regulation to offset drug price reduction; appointing an FDA commissioner (Scott Gottlieb Scott Gottlieb - Wikipedia) with pharma-ties will assist the above. As I mentioned in my thread, it looks like a good time to be involved with T2 research and clinical trials.

No. Don't be naive. The idea that if you work on translational work you'll be fine is old, and has not been true. People drop out just as often if not more often if they are in clinical or translational work. Funding rates for translational work has been just as miserable as for basic. This is not a "good time" if you care about having a job in a sustainable way to get involved in ANY kind of government funded scientific research in health and medicine, except perhaps ones directly related to defense. In fact it hasn't been a "good time" for about 15-20 years. NIH actually doesn't want of fund clinical trials. T2 and up research is considered Comparative effectiveness research and politically loaded, and getting cut. PCORI is shutting down. The administration does not care about actual content of the science being funded. They just want to reduce the size of non defense government.

The idea that if you work on translational work you'll be fine is old...

Before the Cures Act, FDA deregulation, NIH budget cut, etc., some of what you described has some truth to it/I agree. However, that's pretty much the past, now, and I'm talking about the future, which is the tense of my OP.

... except perhaps ones directly related to defense.

I'm planning to enter the Armed Forces @Armyhealth and hopeful to do defense-related research at the NIH as a medical student and later on, FWIW.

Last edited:
I agree with sluox. When NIH funding gets cut, all this "translational" research becomes drug company funded. It's a much different ballgame dealing with them. Industry money is not how you build a career. Supplement sure, but build, no. Some fields have much more industry money than others.

Another trend to think about is that science is becoming more and more expensive. First, to be at the cutting edge you must either be at an institution that can afford to invest in the latest and greatest core facility equipment, or have enough grant money to house the latest tech in your lab. Second, the bar for publication seems to get higher. I am interested to hear what the more senior people on the forum think, but in my own limited experience as an undergraduate in research, I have noticed that (to use cancer biology as an example, since I know it best) where as five years ago you could've passed peer review by demonstrating an effect in 5 cell lines, now reviewers want 10-12 lines and preferably a mouse model. I'm not against science becoming more rigorous ("reproducibility crisis" and what not) but it is going to be more expensive and time consuming to produce more evidence at the same quality. If funding continues to dry up, I can see labs taking fewer risks or moving to less capital intensive research.

For example, my lab at the NIH (NCI) used to be entirely basic science. Now, only one of the postdocs still does traditional bench research and the majority of the group works on a variety of bioinformatics projects in order to keep the lab productive and costs down. I'm all for bioinformatics but scientific progress cannot be sustained by correlation studies alone....

For example, my lab at the NIH (NCI) used to be entirely basic science. Now, only one of the postdocs still does traditional bench research and the majority of the group works on a variety of bioinformatics projects in order to keep the lab productive and costs down. I'm all for bioinformatics but scientific progress cannot be sustained by correlation studies alone....

My field has gone the same way. It's very much a "do with whatever you have" approach. Collecting data is out. Re-analyzing "big data" or other data that's already existing in databases or acquired clinically is in. It's so much cheaper and easier to startup for institutions. I don't think it's as meaningful. It's certainly not what I trained for and not where my interests lie. Sucks for me.

My field has gone the same way. It's very much a "do with whatever you have" approach. Collecting data is out. Re-analyzing "big data" or other data that's already existing in databases or acquired clinically is in. It's so much cheaper and easier to startup for institutions. I don't think it's as meaningful. It's certainly not what I trained for and not where my interests lie. Sucks for me.

They can take your funding, but they can't take your corgi.

I agree with sluox. When NIH funding gets cut, all this "translational" research becomes drug company funded. It's a much different ballgame dealing with them. Industry money is not how you build a career. Supplement sure, but build, no. Some fields have much more industry money than others.

I'm glad that you brought up working with industry. I posted about my experiences doing an MSc based on clinical trials and working with a pharmaceutical company in a related thread (e.g. careers in the pharmaceutical industry) on the business forum if you or anyone's interested Should I do a MD/MBA if I want to have my own Pharmaceutical company?

Last edited:
Perhaps, you have overused this phrase too much in this thread. People with different viewpoints than yours have been labeled that way (me, Lucca). I am sorry but that is exactly the behavior of our "labeler in-chief" who is creating disruption in government.

Lol you don't have to compare me to Trump. I just want you to explain your logic: if Congress cares about science, then why is it that NIH funding has not beat inflation for 20 years. And what makes you think that whatever factors that held NIH funding back for the past 20 years will improve in the next 20 years?

In a lot of ways, science is like art. Most of it has no immediate application, and is only undertaken to better humanity in the long run. Before WWI/WWII, there wasn't much public science funding, and many scientists in the US and Europe operated using private funds. With the coming retreat of government funding in almost all aspects of life, we may be returning to these bad old days...

Hey everyone, just thought I'd post this here, came out this morning:

White House Proposes Large Cuts to NIH Research This Year

Long and short of it is: White House proposed immediate 1.2 billion $$ cut to NIH Budget for FY 2017.

@Lost In Transcription

Most disturbingly, Bloomberg reports that the main source of cuts is towards grant funding. NASA faces a 50 million $$ budget cut and NSF grant funding faces a 350 million $$ cut as well.

Last edited:
"Most of the proposed reductions at NIH would come from research grants, with $50 million specifically taken from a program meant to support biomedical research in states that typically get less agency money."

Well that sounds a little sinister.... Considering the NIH's whole plan to improve bipartisan/national support was built on spreading out funding to non-coastal-powerhouse states. D:

CDC and NSF research grant cuts are also troubling. It is still to be seen how these cuts are going to shake out in the legislative branch but in the worst case scenario a serious contraction of research funds is imminent.

Hey everyone, just thought I'd post this here, came out this morning:

White House Proposes Large Cuts to NIH Research This Year

Long and short of it is: White House proposed immediate 1.2 billion $$ cut to NIH Budget for FY 2017.

@Lost In Transcription

Most disturbingly, Bloomberg reports that the main source of cuts is towards grant funding. NASA faces a 50 million $$ budget cut and NSF grant funding faces a 350 million $$ cut as well.
Oh I know. My head is about to explode.

I'm failing to see how all these cuts to the American research enterprise will make "America Great Again"