NICU resources?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BamaNicole

PGY 1
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm starting my neonatal ICU rotation and I was wondering if anyone had any good resources to help with the rotation.

Members don't see this ad.

OnlineMedEd has some good videos on NICU/newborn stuff.

I wouldn't worry about fluids or vent stuff right now, it's easier to be shown how to do the fluid and calorie calculations vs reading about it, and a good resident/fellow/attending can give you a primer on vents at the bedside.

Review basic newborn stuff. Always good to first understand the normal so then you can understand when something is abnormal.

Reactions: 1 user
How long are you on rotation and are you interested in nicu? I read Polin and Yoder as an intern and it was decent, but it'd take up quite a bit of your "study for peds shelf" time. If you aren't gungho nicu I'd just read on your patients and do otherwise do gen peds reading

Members don't see this ad :)
How long are you on rotation and are you interested in nicu? I read Polin and Yoder as an intern and it was decent, but it'd take up quite a bit of your "study for peds shelf" time. If you aren't gungho nicu I'd just read on your patients and do otherwise do gen peds reading
I'm on it for another 2 and a half weeks. I love NICU but I'm interested in OBGYN which is why I chose it. I do have my peds rotation under my belt so I've been brushing up on that knowledge. The problem is I'm having trouble finding reading on my patients. Do you have any good resources for ventilators so I can learn more about oscillators, conventional and jets? The Nurses have been pretty amazing in terms of teaching me about them but I feel like I have so much more to learn.

I'm on it for another 2 and a half weeks. I love NICU but I'm interested in OBGYN which is why I chose it. I do have my peds rotation under my belt so I've been brushing up on that knowledge. The problem is I'm having trouble finding reading on my patients. Do you have any good resources for ventilators so I can learn more about oscillators, conventional and jets? The Nurses have been pretty amazing in terms of teaching me about them but I feel like I have so much more to learn.

Amazon product

Is a good primer on vents. I don't remember how much detail there is specifically on high frequency vent, but I think you should understand conventional vents first regardless

Reactions: 1 user