NHSC switching schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GrignardsReagent

Just an average medical student
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a quick question. If I filled out the NHSC scholarship for one school and I submitted it. Now I got accepted off the waitlist for another school. Am I just SOL? Can they change it post deadline?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This is an interesting situation. Of course, you should contact NHSC as soon as you have definitively chosen your school to address with them directly. The only reason the school comes into play is that NHSC gets financial information directly from your school to know how much your tuition and cost of materials expenses will be. I never go the impression that priority is given to applicants based on school cost (possibly years applying for scholarship though), so don't think it should be a big problem as you were more selected based off of your application and not your school.

Anyone else with info on this? They state that switching is strongly discouraged but.... must happen pretty commonly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a heads up. They said I cannot change schools as it voids my application. so SOL I am.

And the complete troll. They did offer me the scholarship. Maybe now I can get it changed?

Could you elaborate? What ended up happening?

I was notified that I was a finalist and that is when I asked them about changing schools again and after getting a few "no"s from the customer service people I finally got them to send the request to an actual person in the NHSC. When it got there I was notified that yes in fact I can change schools so I accepted my contract. Now just waiting on the final decision which I assume is a given but I am actually not sure tbh.

Last edited:
I was notified that I was a finalist and that is when I asked them about changing schools again and after getting a few "no"s from the customer service people I finally got them to send the request to an actual person in the NHSC. When it got there I was notified that yes in fact I can change schools so I accepted my contract. Now just waiting on the final decision which I assume is a given but I am actually not sure tbh.
What ended up happening in the end? I'm applying this year and also waiting to get off a waitlist

Once it was offered and I aacceptedthe scholarship. They switched it for me. I didn't think they would do it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile