NHSC Scholarship Program 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

R1Guy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I figured I would start a new thread for the people who are applying for the scholarship in 2012. I know it's really early and we probably will not hear anything until August. As for me, I start dental in August and I applied for the 4-year program.

Best of luck to everyone that applied!

Members don't see this ad.

I applied too. but i don't have a good credit history because i'm financially disadvantaged. so my chances are limited because they care about credit history.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied too. but i don't have a good credit history because i'm financially disadvantaged. so my chances are limited because they care about credit history.

I know they run credit checks, but I don't think they are looking for a stellar score. I thought they were just making sure you don't have any major credit problems, like bankrupty or loan default. Maybe someone else can confirm this though.

At any rate, good luck! I hope we both get it!

I'm fairly sure that they're just concerned that you've never defaulted on a loan. That used to be a question on the application; not sure if it still is.

I also applied for the 2012 NHSC scholarship. Does anyone know what our application status should be? Right now mine still says "Under Verification Review." The status hasn't changed since I submitted my application. I also have not received any confirmation emails. Are we supposed to receive an email from them after submitting?

I also applied for the 2012 NHSC scholarship. Does anyone know what our application status should be? Right now mine still says "Under Verification Review." The status hasn't changed since I submitted my application. I also have not received any confirmation emails. Are we supposed to receive an email from them after submitting?

My application status is also "Under Verification Review" and I have not received a confirmation email either.

I have also applied, as a DO student in the 2012 cycle.:xf: I am hoping my chances are better than 5-10%, but you never know.

Since submitting the application in May, I do not even see the link to the portal. Do you have that available?

I have also applied, as a DO student in the 2012 cycle.:xf: I am hoping my chances are better than 5-10%, but you never know.

Since submitting the application in May, I do not even see the link to the portal. Do you have that available?

Go to the NHSC's home page, scroll to the bottom of the page, and you will see a yellow link that say's "Customer Service Portal."

I hope we all get lucky and receive great news in Aug!!

Also, did you guys apply with disadvantaged status? I did.. but I am not sure how much it counts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called a few weeks ago just to make sure they had everything and they said my file was in final review what ever that meant. They said we might hear early but we will hear for sure by Sept 30

Hey Guys, I have also applied for the program. On my program portal it still says "Under Verification Review". Hope to hear and get more information from them soon. I was able to apply with a disadvantaged background- hope that helps :xf:. Good luck to everyone else!

I submitted everything 4/11, haven't heard anything. I am still "under verification review" on the portal. I will be starting my 2nd year of dental school in a week or so. I wish I could've waited for my spring grades because that brought my overall GPA up quite a bit and I finished out the year strong but we weren't done with classes yet and they won't let you update. Oh well. If anyone hears anything please post :)

good luck!

edit:

I thought I had read a previous year post that they had contacted the school's financial aid before they contacted the student-- so if anyone finds this to be true let us know so we can all bug our FA people!

They sent an email saying that now it's in the final review and to submit all the banking info.

Nothing here. Anyone besides Neuro111 get contacted?

Congrats.

Last edited:
hello,

I have not heard anything yet, either. I called earlier this week and was told that my application was still under verification review, just like it says on my portal.

However, judging from last year's forum, it appears as though people were not notified all at the same time whether or not they were finalists. They may still send out more finalist emails. Good luck to everybody.

but the email does say that it "DOES NOT" guarantee that you'll get the scholarship. and I am still quite worried about my credit report.

I got an email today too saying it was under final review.

Congrats to all those that received the email! Unfortunately I didn't receive one.

but the email does say that it "DOES NOT" guarantee that you'll get the scholarship. and I am still quite worried about my credit report.

I received the scholarship last year, and I remember that I fretted over that language as well... Its just to cover their buts IMHO. In my class, about 6 people applied for it, and All of us that received it were notified of our finalist positions at the same time... I'd be really surprised if anyone that didn't get a finalist email yesterday receives such an email at a later date.

Oh, and I have received a few PMs asking me if I know if bad credit excludes you from a scholarship-- and I remember asking this Q last year and the answer was because they want to make sure that you haven't defaulted on any federal student loans, because that excludes you from receiving the award.

Just submitted the application. I went to experian to pull out my credit history.. and it seems like they had done a credit check early July.

Have any more finalist letters been sent? Has anyone gotten an official rejection letter?

I got no email from NHSC, but I did see a few inquiries on my credit report in early July. Was that something that they did for everyone?
Did anyone have the Status = 'Under Verification Review' NOT change? I'm trying to understand if I still have a shot here.

*I do not mean to offend you at all Neuro*, but isn't it odd that the first person to be asked for banking info is a person who admits to prior default on federal student loans? Could it be possible that you were put through additional screening?

I got no email from NHSC, but I did see a few inquiries on my credit report in early July. Was that something that they did for everyone?
Did anyone have the Status = 'Under Verification Review' NOT change? I'm trying to understand if I still have a shot here.

*I do not mean to offend you at all Neuro*, but isn't it odd that the first person to be asked for banking info is a person who admits to prior default on federal student loans? Could it be possible that you were put through additional screening?

You may be in better shape than me. I received no finalist email, I am "Under Verification Review," and I received no credit inquiry. Since they checked your credit report that may be a sign that they are still considering you. Good luck!

hahah not so sure. i could still be rejected as finalists do not mean acceptance.

Last edited:
I got a call this past Tuesday to make sure I had gotten the finalist email. I was also asked for banking info but it was "give us your account and routing number". I read last year's thread and people seemed to get finalists emails later too.
The email said that I had 5 calendar days to respond but when I signed on to the portal it said I had about two weeks (can't remember the exact date) to turn in the additional info. So maybe more people will hear after people turn it down or don't submit the additional information in time.

Update: I actually DID get the email and phone call(8/15)!! Very excited to be on the short list!!

Yes, it has been updated on the portal. It was necessary to go into the portal to submit the forms and banking information.

Now if they would only hurry up and tell us if we got it already! If last year is any indication it'll be a month before we find out. Hopefully I'm wrong and they are faster this year!

I checked my contract by logging on to the portal and on the last page it has my electronic signature which says signed 08/07 (when I turned in the paperwork) and it also has a signature from an OFAM approver, HRSA signed on 08/16. Hopefully it's a step in the right direction!

They probably just haven't gotten to yours yet, so hopefully you'l have a signature soon :). I don't even know what it means I was just excited to see some evidence that they had at least looked at it. And I thought I'd share because I know I like knowing anything I can...I hate waiting haha.

lol thank you for your optimism.. i think I submitted it a day before u did.. lol.. I really hope your last name starts with letters that are earlier in the alphabet haha.

I am also a finalist but there has not been any signature added to my signed contract by HRSA. Other than elibee04 has anyone else had their contract signed by HRSA?

That's awesome!

I just read the NHSC 2012 forum in the dental section and one person logged on to the portal and his status was "participant" and his award letter was on there too. I think they're getting done faster this year. I hope we hear good/official good news soon!

mine says participant too.. but i am not able to login as a participant because it says the account is already registered with non-participant.. maybe i tried to activate it earlier accidentally. But it says participant nevertheless!

wait... i don't know now... it says participant but it also says i cannot be logged in because I am registered as a non-applicant..

My contract is now signed but nothing has changed in regard to my status.

I am a finalist but I still don't even have a signature. So depressing...

Neuro, were you able to sign on as a participant?

my status never changed to participant - even this morning - and i just received the welcome/congrats email today, so you may never see it change like me.

Congrats!! I got the same email - so happy that it's official. Anyone else?