NHSC Scholarship 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think the scholarship portal closes at 7:30 ED. This whole process was very frustrating and discouraging at times. Best of luck to all you and thank you for sharing your thoughts and info with the community.
May the screening committee be in your favor!
Same to you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted. Essays under 2500 characters.. which will keep me within 500 word max.. i think? help?!

Last edited:
Anybody know when they'll first start interviewing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like they do credit checks in June.
Finalist emails in July.
Countersignatures in August.
And everything is finalized in September.

If you get a finalist email it basically means you have been awarded the scholarship, you just have to do x, y, and z to secure the bag.

In conclusion,

Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Question, I put Meharry Medical College as the college I'm attending but I just got accepted into USC. I'm going to USC for sure, so how should I notify them of my school change ?

Question, I put Meharry Medical College as the college I'm attending but I just got accepted into USC. I'm going to USC for sure, so how should I notify them of my school change ?
I would call them during normal hours and ask directly. Congrats on the acceptance!

In that past, if you switch schools after submitting and it is after the deadline, they just disqualify you. Not fair, but it happens.

Looks like they do credit checks in June.
Finalist emails in July.
Countersignatures in August.
And everything is finalized in September.

If you get a finalist email it basically means you have been awarded the scholarship, you just have to do x, y, and z to secure the bag.

In conclusion,

Good luck!
That is correct. My credit was checked in July though. And it also seems that not everybody who received the scholarship has found it on their credit report, but that doesn't mean it wasn't checked. If I remember correctly, "CBC/BUREAU OF PRIMARY HEALTH CARE" or something similar is what you should look for. And it most likely shows up on Experian as opposed to Equifax or Transunion.
Good luck to everyone!

I would call and ask. That is one thing that I really hope they have changed since I applied because I don't see a point to it. Especially if (in the case of one of my friends) it would actually lower the amount that the NHSC is paying because they ended up switching to their state school instead of a higher cost private school... but instead, they were just disqualified.

I am in a similar situation. i got accepted into another dental school today. i hope they don't disqualify us.

In that past, if you switch schools after submitting and it is after the deadline, they just disqualify you. Not fair, but it happens.
i just called them. the nhsc representative told me that i can't make any changes. if i am chosen, i will have to attend the dental school that i listed in application to receive the scholarship.

Members don't see this ad :)
NHSC is extremely strict. No exceptions to any rule.

I feel the same :(
very frustrating.

It won't be so frustrating when we get accepted in July

JackNicholson.gif

Reactions: 1 users
Wait so are you all changing which dental school you are attending based on this??
i got into my top choice dental school today which i am going to attend for sure. and nhsc told me that i can't make any changes. can we apply in dental school? if yes, i will reapply next year.

i got into my top choice dental school today which i am going to attend for sure. and nhsc told me that i can't make any changes. can we apply in dental school? if yes, i will reapply next year.
Yes, you can reapply. Every year if you keep not getting it. And I think that's a good choice. I was going to suggest that if you said you were changing your dental school based on this.

I read their Scholarship application thing. If you switched schools you must contact them immediately. I think if the COA is lower they are more receptive.

Also one of my letters is a word document. Am I disqualified?

I read their Scholarship application thing. If you switched schools you must contact them immediately. I think if the COA is lower they are more receptive.

I'm not sure how strictly it is enforced, but when I called, the woman really emphasized PDF format.

Because I get this strange feeling if it was a word document it wasn't on letter head, but I'd hate to accuse my recommender like that.

Because I get this strange feeling if it was a word document it wasn't on letter head, but I'd hate to accuse my recommender like that.
I have a feeling one of my letter writers didn't have it on letter head or have a signature.

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

No problem!

Same. It's disappointing that something you have zero influence over could have your app thrown out.
Just wait til you have to take your licensing exam where a surprising amount is actually out of your control and you fail if any one of those factors isn't in your favor (patients not showing, lesions not accepted, subjectivity of examiners, etc.). Now THAT is disappointing.

Just wait til you have to take your licensing exam where a surprising amount is actually out of your control and you fail if any one of those factors isn't in your favor (patients not showing, lesions not accepted, subjectivity of examiners, etc.). Now THAT is disappointing.
So much to look forward to! :smack:

word or PDF is fine. any other format would probably get your app disqualified.

This is probably like beating a dead horse but based on last years threads or experience does anyone know when we will prob hear back? Thanks

Last year I don't think people even started getting credit checks until the middle of June so we still have a few weeks till even that stage

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Here's hoping we get our credit checked!! What website are we supposed to use again, Experian?

Here's hoping we get our credit checked!! What website are we supposed to use again, Experian?

Use Credit Karma because it's free and won't lower your credit score for checking. It won't give you a lot of details, but it'll show you your credit score and organizations that have checked your credit. Good luck!

Experian is one of the major credit bureaus, not really a website for checking. You can check your credit score from any major credit bureau, like Experian, through any free site. (freecreditreport dot com, whatever you wish.) They're all the same and are all free because its the law. Legally, you can pull your credit report for no cost from EACH major credit bureau once per year.

Use Credit Karma because it's free and won't lower your credit score for checking. It won't give you a lot of details, but it'll show you your credit score and organizations that have checked your credit. Good luck!

Just as a fair warning with credit karma it will only update once a week so if you check it on a Monday a new report will not be up until the next Monday so don't freak out when people post on here until you figure out when the report credit karma is from.

ImageUploadedBySDN1495241272.490146.jpg

Every time I scroll through SDN threads on my phone, I see this GIF of Cage hysterically laughing. It's been here for the past few days (weeks?). Makes me laugh every time.

Just sayin'.

Reactions: 3 users
Last year credit checks were initiated on 6/14 so we are coming up on that date

Last year credit checks were initiated on 6/14 so we are coming up on that date

So I know this is significant for some reason, but can anybody tell me why exactly? I combed the old thread a bit and I can't exactly pin it down. Were those who were credit checked in June finalists in July? Or is this what I like to call "SDNer Correlation" where SDNers are looking for a correlation to predict there future where there is none?

What is the likelihood of getting this scholarship? I know it is very competitive but roughly how many people apply & how many scholars are there per year (medical and dental)?