NHSC Scholarship 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Someone else asked this question during the webinar tonight - if you want to submit multiple transcripts, you'll have to upload them as one PDF file (so probably print each transcript and scan as one document). The staff gave conflicting answers for including coursework from other institutions where you did not earn a degree, so I'm not sure what they want.

pdf mergers! Just google it. There are so many free ones.

PDFMerge! - Merge PDF files online for free

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was told to only send transcripts from institutions where a degree was granted. The wording in the guideline on this subject appears to be clear.

Yeah that's what I thought as well. I just wanted to make sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah that's what I thought as well. I just wanted to make sure.

From the guidelines this says to upload a transcript from your last earned degree and current degree program

Attachments

• IMG_2505.jpg
    IMG_2505.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 66
Is it fine if I just scan my official transcript of the institution that's gonna grant me my degree this may?

Last edited:
I don't know if this was answered, but can we use LOR's from our AADSAS?

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

I don't know if this was answered, but can we use LOR's from our AADSAS?

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile
You can have the same people write the letters but you can't have aadsas send your application letters. They should be a little different for this scholarship anyways.

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Is this a first come first serve application process or are we all looked at equally as long as we submit by the deadline?

From the guidelines this says to upload a transcript from your last earned degree and current degree program
So if we're doing a masters, but still haven't earned the degree, we include that?

Just curious does anyone know if being a re-applicant influence your chances?

Thank you for the reply! Do you think it would be of benefit for me to talk about growing up in a rural community? My pre health advisor suggested to not make that my main point but I feel like it is significant to show that I know what I am getting myself into.

Don't focus on that for your essays. You can incorporate that experience in the form of a sentence or two and say something along the lines that you have no problem relocating to a rural underserved area because you grew up in one...

Last edited:
Don't focus on that for your essays. You can incorporate that experience in the form of a sentence or two and say something along the lines that you have no problem relocating to a rural underserved area because you grew up in one...
Thanks FlossBoss!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious does anyone know if being a re-applicant influence your chances?

Not really, I re-wrote my essays and got it the second time. Only advantage of re-applying is knowing how the process works and getting the application filled faster. It's a long process!

So if we're doing a masters, but still haven't earned the degree, we include that?
If you are currently doing your masters you would need to attach both your undergrad and masters transcripts

I asked about the word limit as well and was told it was 500 words too. Don't know how they can go from 250 words to 2500 characters (right there on the application) to 500 words. I guess at this point we know just as much as they do.
The people on the webinar are not that well-informed. They basically look everything up from the guideline. I would follow the direction on the online application. I'm pretty sure its 2500 characters

Hey, Hope everyone's apps are going well. Quick question: are there naming guidelines for our uploaded documents? For example, do we need to include our name and last four of SS to the name of each document?
Thanks!

Hey, Hope everyone's apps are going well. Quick question: are there naming guidelines for our uploaded documents? For example, do we need to include our name and last four of SS to the name of each document?
Thanks!
pg. 39 of the application guide under required supporting documentation: "Each document submitted must include the applicant’s First Name, Last Name, Discipline and last 4 digits of social security number."

pg. 39 of the application guide under required supporting documentation: "Each document submitted must include the applicant’s First Name, Last Name, Discipline and last 4 digits of social security number."

But should that be written in pen at the top of the document or be a part of the PDF name of the document? I hope I'm being clear!! Thanks!

But should that be written in pen at the top of the document or be a part of the PDF name of the document? I hope I'm being clear!! Thanks!
The info. should be in the actual document. I just put it on the top right-hand corner of each document.

is it just me or are these essay questions repetitive..? my responses are really similar to all three questions lol

is it just me or are these essay questions repetitive..? my responses are really similar to all three questions lol
It's not just you! Haha I'm having the hardest time writing these essays! I feel like my personal statement was way easier than this.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, for your essays, what type of line spacing are you using, single, double, or 1.5? the advantage of 1.5 and 2.0 is readability; the advantage of 1.0 is that each essay will nicely fit on one page. Just curious....

Hey, for your essays, what type of line spacing are you using, single, double, or 1.5? the advantage of 1.5 and 2.0 is readability; the advantage of 1.0 is that each essay will nicely fit on one page. Just curious....
I was just going to do 2.0! Are guys including the essay question in your PDF or leaving it out?

In case you haven't heard:

NHSC FAQ Open Forum (on Facebook)
Thursday, April 13 at 8 PM - 9 PM EDT

Yes, you receive an email when one of your letter writers uploads a LOR.

Thank you. I am a little late in learning about the NHSC, but it sounded like such a great fit for me despite being a bit of a long shot!

I asked about the word limit as well and was told it was 500 words too. Don't know how they can go from 250 words to 2500 characters (right there on the application) to 500 words. I guess at this point we know just as much as they do.
Wait, what?! Its 500 words not 2500 characters?!

Wait, what?! Its 500 words not 2500 characters?!
There's been a lot of confusion... Seems like the majority of us are going with 2500 characters. You won't be able to answer the essay prompts thoroughly with just 200 words and I don't even know where the 500 words came from. Go with what it says on the application: 2500 characters!

There's been a lot of confusion... Seems like the majority of us are going with 2500 characters. You won't be able to answer the essay prompts thoroughly with just 200 words and I don't even know where the 500 words came from. Go with what it says on the application: 2500 characters!
The prompt on the website says 2500 characters so go with that.
Thanks guys!

Hey guys,

I got both of my letters of rec. in and I got a PDF copy of my transcripts but I haven't done much of the rest of the app yet. I plan on writing the essays this week. Is there anything, other than the letters of rec., that takes a while to do?

Does anyone know if the letters of recommendation have to be turned in by next week/deadline? Or is it okay as long as we have someone down?

Everything must be turned in by April 27th 7:30 p.m. for your application to be considered. If your LOR are late you will not be considered for funding.

Hey guys,

I got both of my letters of rec. in and I got a PDF copy of my transcripts but I haven't done much of the rest of the app yet. I plan on writing the essays this week. Is there anything, other than the letters of rec., that takes a while to do?
Check the guideline document for the required documents. One of the required documents is a proof of acceptance form that needs to be filled out by a school official at the dental school you will be attending. I highly suggest you ask for it now. It took my school almost 3 weeks just to get it back to me. o_O

Check the guideline document for the required documents. One of the required documents is a proof of acceptance form that needs to be filled out by a school official at the dental school you will be attending. I highly suggest you ask for it now. It took my school almost 3 weeks just to get it back to me. o_O

Thank you! I am currently on step 7. For the proof of acceptance form, did you just email your school a link to the form and then have them print it, sign it, and then send you a scanned copy of it? I am assuming that's the only way to do it?

Also according to the NHSC guidelines we have to have our first name, last name, discipline and last 4 digits of SSN on every document. But.... you obviously didn't edit your birth certificate to do this right? Is this really necessary on every document?

Thank you! I am currently on step 7. For the proof of acceptance form, did you just email your school a link to the form and then have them print it, sign it, and then send you a scanned copy of it? I am assuming that's the only way to do it?
No problem! :)
I sent an email with a PDF attachment of the document to the admissions office. Remember to explain that you're applying for the NHSC scholarship and need a school official to fill it out along with a signature. They will most likely send it back in PDF format so all you have to do is upload it onto your application. Oh, and don't forget to sign the document! Your signature needs to be on it too. So when you get the document back from the school, put your signature on it (I put mine somewhere on the bottom corner) then upload it.

Is the form provided by the NHSC application site? If so, could someone please send me the form? I am still stuck at letter of recommendation step :(

No problem! :)
I sent an email with a PDF attachment of the document to the admissions office. Remember to explain that you're applying for the NHSC scholarship and need a school official to fill it out along with a signature. They will most likely send it back in PDF format so all you have to do is upload it onto your application. Oh, and don't forget to sign the document! Your signature needs to be on it too. So when you get the document back from the school, put your signature on it (I put mine somewhere on the bottom corner) then upload it.

Thanks!

So I've got my letters of rec. in and as soon as I get the "acceptance report" from my school I should be good for all the things that take a while to get, right? I realize writing the essays takes a while but I don't have to wait on anyone for those and I've set aside time to do those this week.

You can just submit the name and email of individuals writing the LOR....save and move on to the next section.

Also according to the NHSC guidelines we have to have our first name, last name, discipline and last 4 digits of SSN on every document. But.... you obviously didn't edit your birth certificate to do this right? Is this really necessary on every document?
I would put that info. on all the documents. If the guideline says so, do it. You don't want to risk having your application disqualified because you didn't follow the guideline. For my birth certificate, I just put my name, discipline, and last 4 of my SSN on a tiny piece of paper and put it at the corner of my birth certificate and scanned it together.