NHSC Scholarship 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Tomorrow should be the day. Like this if you think so too.
I have given up! I am assuming Friday so maybe I won't be as disappointed each day. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Whether or not anyone here, including myself, receives it, I just want to say that it has been an amazing ride with all of you. I think I can honestly say that I can call some of you my friends without deliberation; you know who you are.

We have sat together through the rain and mud for months; let us hope for dawn.

edit: special shoutout to master yoda for having a level of patience no man can stand lol

Reactions: 1 users
Whether or not anyone here, including myself, receives it, I just want to say that it has been an amazing ride with all of you. I think I can honestly say that I can call some of you my friends without deliberation; you know who you are.

We have sat together through the rain and mud for months; let us hope for dawn.

edit: special shoutout to master yoda for having a level of patience no man can stand lol
lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I've been reading through the thread and was wondering...

If you have a credit check does that mean they're done reviewing your application (confirming that there were no errors in the application and you're safe)?

Also, is anyone aware of a SDN thread with accepted NHSC scholarship participants? I tried to get in contact with an NHSC Ambassador, but they never emailed back. I just want more insight on how the scholarship program is from people who have actually been accepted

Good luck to everyone!

Hey guys, I've been reading through the thread and was wondering...

If you have a credit check does that mean they're done reviewing your application (confirming that there were no errors in the application and you're safe)?

Also, is anyone aware of a SDN thread with accepted NHSC scholarship participants? I tried to get in contact with an NHSC Ambassador, but they never emailed back. I just want more insight on how the scholarship program is from people who have actually been accepted

Good luck to everyone!
I don't think a credit check means anything other than something they do in the process of reviewing your application. It is definitely a good sign that things are moving forward for you, but I don't think it should be seen as a stamp of approval for any portion of the application.
Also, ambassadors haven't been very helpful from my experience so I'm not surprised nobody emailed you back. That's why I applied to be one and they emailed me back (5 months later) saying that they are actually getting rid of ambassadors and only utilizing "mentors" from now on. Only problem with that is that you can't be a mentee until you have received the scholarship so there are very few resources for applicants just simply looking for more information. Even when you get the scholarship, they aren't much help which is why couple of scholars and I created a Facebook group so that we could help each other and answer each other's questions along the way (just an FYI for those of you who get it). As far as I know, there isn't an SDN thread for current scholars.
Anyway, I've been all the way through the application, the training, job search, placement, and have begun my service commitment so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited:
May God lead the way, guys. We all worked really hard to get here.

I don't think a credit check means anything other than something they do in the process of reviewing your application. It is definitely a good sign that things are moving forward for you, but I don't think it should be seen as a stamp of approval for any portion of the application.
Also, ambassadors haven't been very helpful from my experience so I'm not surprised nobody emailed you back. That's why I applied to be one and they emailed me back (5 months later) saying that they are actually getting rid of ambassadors and only utilizing "mentors" from now on. Only problem with that is that you can't be a mentee until you have received the scholarship so there are very few resources for applicants just simply looking for more information. Even when you get the scholarship, they aren't much help which is why couple of scholars and I created a Facebook group so that we could help each other and answer each other's questions along the way (just an FYI for those of you who get it). As far as I know, there isn't an SDN thread for current scholars.
Anyway, I've been all the way through the application, the training, job search, placement, and have begun my service commitment so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Thank you so much! Can you attach a link to the facebook page?

Alright, who's going to call them and nag/ask what's the deal?

***NOT IT!***

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I called yesterday and they said "You may hear anytime from now until October 31st" ...the 'now' made it seem soon...

I just looked up the NHSC budget for 2017. According to what I can find, there are 146 scholarships available and 13 continuations. That is less than in previous years. Maybe finalists have already been notified and none of us are on the list??? That seems unlikely, but it is strange that it is taking this long. At this point, I just want to know something, even if it is a rejection.

Reactions: 2 users
I just looked up the NHSC budget for 2017. According to what I can find, there are 146 scholarships available and 13 continuations. That is less than in previous years. Maybe finalists have already been notified and none of us are on the list??? That seems unlikely, but it is strange that it is taking this long. At this point, I just want to know something, even if it is a rejection.

wanting to know something even if its rejection. This sounds like every time I text a cute girl to hang out. Man now even NHSC wont call me back.

Thank you so much! In that case, I do have some questions that I think a couple of us may share:
- After becoming a finalist for the scholarship, what steps do you have to take to be awarded the scholarship (essentially, what additional paperwork/documents should a finalist have prepared to provide the NHSC with)?

- Would a scholarship recipient be able to switch between one specialty to another (as long as it's an NHSC-approved specialty), if they later find out that they're interested in something different than what they originally chose on the application?

- In general, what advice/info do you wish you had been told along the way?

Thank you in advance!

Where did you find this information? Could you post a link?

Thank you so much! In that case, I do have some questions that I think a couple of us may share:
- After becoming a finalist for the scholarship, what steps do you have to take to be awarded the scholarship (essentially, what additional paperwork/documents should a finalist have prepared to provide the NHSC with)?

- Would a scholarship recipient be able to switch between one specialty to another (as long as it's an NHSC-approved specialty), if they later find out that they're interested in something different than what they originally chose on the application?

- In general, what advice/info do you wish you had been told along the way?

Thank you in advance!
After becoming a finalist, you are asked to give them your bank account information and declare how many years of funding you want for the scholarship (doesn't have to match what you had in your application). Then you sign the contract and wait for them to sign it on their end. Then that's it. You wait until they "officially" offer you the scholarship so you can notify your school. I believe the funding actually comes at the end of October. Your school will receive their payment and they will return your loans. You will receive your ORC payment plus the stipend amount (around $1300 now but it goes up slightly every year) dating all the way back to July. You'll have quite a bit of cash. Don't spend it all in one place.
I believe as long as the specialty is still NHSC approved, it doesn't matter. I honestly doubt they care or keep track of what you said in your application. As long as you send in what they call a "letter of intent to defer for residency" when they ask for it your 4th year and it is approved, everything is good.
I wish I would have been honestly told how much help in the job search I was going to get from them. They act like they help, but they don't... like at all. In fact, sometimes they don't even answer your questions when you ask. It's all up to you. The NHSC job search isn't very reliable either. You have to do a good amount of research on your own. That and the fact that they will not pay up front for your relocation unless you are licensed. I didn't get my license until after I had relocated. They still reimbursed me (which was a surprisingly simple and straightforward process), but I was still floating about $2,500 extra on my credit card for a while. Other than that, I have been pretty happy with everything.
Oh yeah, and don't let anyone scare you into thinking that you will be forced to work in a prison. Not true. You have a surprising amount of potential jobs in a surprising amount of places.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
After becoming a finalist, you are asked to give them your bank account information and declare how many years of funding you want for the scholarship (doesn't have to match what you had in your application). Then you sign the contract and wait for them to sign it on their end. Then that's it. You wait until they "officially" offer you the scholarship so you can notify your school. I believe the funding actually comes at the end of October. Your school will receive their payment and they will return your loans. You will receive your ORC payment plus the stipend amount (around $1300 now but it goes up slightly every year) dating all the way back to July. You'll have quite a bit of cash. Don't spend it all in one place.
I believe as long as the specialty is still NHSC approved, it doesn't matter. I honestly doubt they care or keep track of what you said in your application. As long as you send in what they call a "letter of intent to defer for residency" when they ask for it your 4th year and it is approved, everything is good.
I wish I would have been honestly told how much help in the job search I was going to get from them. They act like they help, but they don't... like at all. In fact, sometimes they don't even answer your questions when you ask. It's all up to you. The NHSC job search isn't very reliable either. You have to do a good amount of research on your own. That and the fact that they will not pay up front for your relocation unless you are licensed. I didn't get my license until after I had relocated. They still reimbursed me (which was a surprisingly simple and straightforward process), but I was still floating about $2,500 extra on my credit card for a while. Other than that, I have been pretty happy with everything.
Oh yeah, and don't let anyone scare you into thinking that you will be forced to work in a prison. Not true. You have a surprising amount of potential jobs in a surprising amount of places.

God bless your soul cooliyak. Hahaha thank you so much for this info!!!

I called and got the standard answer... "As far as I know, no notifications have been sent yet. Notifications may be sent as early as this month and as late as September 30th..." I guess it is helpful to know that the notifications have not been sent yet!

I'll give it until friday
I called and got the standard answer... "As far as I know, no notifications have been sent yet. Notifications may be sent as early as this month and as late as September 30th..." I guess it is helpful to know that the notifications have not been sent yet!

Youre the real MVP

The site is going down for maintenance again this Saturday. I don't know if that theory stated before still holds true unless we get decisions tomorrow and nurse corps gets them next week. I thought the scholarship program got decision before nurse corps, but maybe not this year.

The site is going down for maintenance again this Saturday. I don't know if that theory stated before still holds true unless we get decisions tomorrow and nurse corps gets them next week. I thought the scholarship program got decision before nurse corps, but maybe not this year.

I am not gonna even say anything anymore lol. Like this if your adrenal glands are fatigued like mine

At this point, I'll just expect to hear back on September 30th so I don't think about it anymore.

I imagine the delay is caused by an intense argument over giving the last scholarship to either Craig_Sherwood234 or Garett24. In the end, both these candidates were so well overqualified, the highly paid executives over at the NHSC took a substantial pay cut to add, for the first time in the history of the scholarship, an additional scholar beyond the given budget.

At this point, I'll just expect to hear back on September 30th so I don't think about it anymore.

I imagine the delay is caused by an intense argument over giving the last scholarship to either Craig_Sherwood234 or Garett24. In the end, both these candidates were so well overqualified, the highly paid executives over at the NHSC took a substantial pay cut to add, for the first time in the history of the scholarship, an additional scholar beyond the given budget.

Lmao

Like this post if you don't think it will come tomorrow but know it will come tomorrow. Saving the news for the best day of the week.

State the theory again

Like this post if you don't think it will come tomorrow but know it will come tomorrow. Saving the news for the best day of the week.

I resent that I've been reduced to Peale-esque Positive Thinking just to regain some sense of control, but after the last four harrowing days, I am on-board the visualization train!
I can *see* that email coming in tomorrow, dang it!

Me all week:
tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

Received a finalist email at 9am !

Edit* an email that action was required- my status changed to "finalist"

Finalist email received at 830am! Second year dental student

Reactions: 3 users
Just curious, have any medical students gotten the email?

Congratulations to everyone who got an email!
I haven't gotten one yet, and I'm wondering if they send the emails out all near similar times or if they're mostly mass sent?