NHSC Questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilveoDante

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I will be entering medical school this upcoming fall with just over $130K in debt (from BS and PhD at expensive coastal school). Given my advanced education, I know for a fact that I will be venturing into a NHSC-approved program (I don't want to neglect all the info I've already learned and I have a strong desire to work with the underserved). Although I have yet to receive financials from schools that accepted me, I want to keep my debt down as much as possible and will therefore be applying for the NHSC scholarship. Some questions (some may be naive/dumb, so please be gentle):

1. Could being an NHSC scholar negatively impact your applications to residency? I assume it wouldn't, but would like to know if I am indeed correct in this assumption.
2. I understand that you need to look for a 'spot' about a year out from finishing your residency to have the best odds of landing something favorable. As I wish to venture into psych, is it possible to land a gig on the east coast (preferably, the north east) that isn't a prison? Or does the NHSC make this a pipe dream?
3. Should I risk possibly going $400K+ in debt and live like a student for a few years to maintain my autonomy (i.e. is this scholarship THAT bad?)?

Thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. Could being an NHSC scholar negatively impact your applications to residency? I assume it wouldn't, but would like to know if I am indeed correct in this assumption.

You're correct, it does not affect your residency application. You don't even have to put it on your residency application if you don't want to.

2. I understand that you need to look for a 'spot' about a year out from finishing your residency to have the best odds of landing something favorable. As I wish to venture into psych, is it possible to land a gig on the east coast (preferably, the north east) that isn't a prison? Or does the NHSC make this a pipe dream?

It's possible, sure. It may be more likely that you will get a job in your desired location if you want to do psych, because psych is in such short supply everywhere. Having some geographic flexibility and having low expectations that you will end up exactly where you want does help, though.

3. Should I risk possibly going $400K+ in debt and live like a student for a few years to maintain my autonomy (i.e. is this scholarship THAT bad?)?

The only person who can answer that is you. No, I don't think that the scholarship is that bad, but I realize that it is not right for everyone. You will work with a difficult patient population with less geographic flexibility, for less money (although you'll still make a pretty good salary in the grand scheme of things).

Let me know if you have any specific questions. The scholarship worked out well for me, and I feel truly lucky that it did - because I know that it doesn't for everyone.

Reactions: 1 user
You're correct, it does not affect your residency application. You don't even have to put it on your residency application if you don't want to.

It's possible, sure. It may be more likely that you will get a job in your desired location if you want to do psych, because psych is in such short supply everywhere. Having some geographic flexibility and having low expectations that you will end up exactly where you want does help, though.

The only person who can answer that is you. No, I don't think that the scholarship is that bad, but I realize that it is not right for everyone. You will work with a difficult patient population with less geographic flexibility, for less money (although you'll still make a pretty good salary in the grand scheme of things).

Let me know if you have any specific questions. The scholarship worked out well for me, and I feel truly lucky that it did - because I know that it doesn't for everyone.
Thank you for your quick and thorough reply! Do you have to reapply for the scholarship every year? Or can you apply to have all 4 years covered upon initial application?

I love a challenge and I have learned that 4 years can fly by with hard work. If I didn't apply for the scholarship, I feel as though I would end up doing similar work but with much more debt to my name.

I have seen a lot of your posts and truly appreciate your insight. Again, thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your quick and thorough reply! Do you have to reapply for the scholarship every year? Or can you apply to have all 4 years covered upon initial application?

No, you don't have to reapply. You apply for all 4 years during the initial application.

Hey! I have a question also. I know the deadline for the scholarship is in March, but I'm wondering if, like medical schools, it is important to apply early?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Bump!! Any more people willing to weigh in on their NHSC experience?

1. Not in any possible way.

2. Anything is possible. You are far more likely to find a job where you want to be with FM. There are far more positions for Family Medicine primary care with less positions available as you move more towards specialties. Available positions change regularly.

3. I personally wouldn't. That 400K will become far more money with interest over time. I have felt far more autonomous being debt free after 4 years of service than my peers who still have more than 200K in debt. Relative to your future working years, 2-4 years is relatively insignificant for what you receive in return.

1. Not in any possible way.

2. Anything is possible. You are far more likely to find a job where you want to be with FM. There are far more positions for Family Medicine primary care with less positions available as you move more towards specialties. Available positions change regularly.

3. I personally wouldn't. That 400K will become far more money with interest over time. I have felt far more autonomous being debt free after 4 years of service than my peers who still have more than 200K in debt. Relative to your future working years, 2-4 years is relatively insignificant for what you receive in return.
It has been mentioned that salaries are lower at the service locations. How much lower? Perhaps using FM as an example.

It has been mentioned that salaries are lower at the service locations. How much lower? Perhaps using FM as an example.

This question hints at an underlying issue that all applicants should consider prior to applying. If you are applying to be a scholar, you should really have desire to work for the populations intended to be served by the program. Assuming your personal/career mission is in line with the program, I'm not sure the question makes much sense. Of course the positions are going to pay less than the highest paying private sector equivalent as you are working for a non-profit entity. That being said, the difference in my area is about 10-20K on average between a high HPSA score clinic and the highest paying primary care equivalent job. However, I have seen high HPSA jobs that start at 100K/yr more than the higher paid in my area that are in more rural locations.

I had a question about the NHSC for dental students. I am very interested in getting the scholarship and I am going into dental school am most likely wanting to do pediatric or general dentistry. I was wondering, if I should change my mind and want to do ortho or oral surgery, would I be able to complete my 4 year obligation and then apply for those residencies after I have completed my service? Or do they care what you do after your service with them and they make you pay it all back 3 fold?

I had a question about the NHSC for dental students. I am very interested in getting the scholarship and I am going into dental school am most likely wanting to do pediatric or general dentistry. I was wondering, if I should change my mind and want to do ortho or oral surgery, would I be able to complete my 4 year obligation and then apply for those residencies after I have completed my service? Or do they care what you do after your service with them and they make you pay it all back 3 fold?

The NHSC does not care what you do after you complete your service. You can bail and go to the ritziest, boutique-iest, priciest private practice if you want, doing only cosmetic dentistry. (I know a dentist who did that, actually.) You just have to complete your service obligation.

The NHSC does not care what you do after you complete your service. You can bail and go to the ritziest, boutique-iest, priciest private practice if you want, doing only cosmetic dentistry. (I know a dentist who did that, actually.) You just have to complete your service obligation.
Awesome, good to know! I honestly see it as a guaranteed job right out of dental school (even if the pay isn't super amazing) but a great way to get extra practice and serve those who need it most. Thank you for you help!