Next step vs actual

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GCS-15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do the next step tests compare to the actual one? Can anyone who's done next step 1-10 and taken/gotten the score from the actual test chime in?

I'm not really liking my next step progress: 508, 510, 505, 506, 509, 506
my scores are fluctuating a lot and lately, the chem/phys and bio psgs are really tough and got me worried.

Members don't see this ad.

So you're scoring in the 80th percentile and you're worried? okay lol.

that is good, keep working at it. the stress and the expectations that medical colleges put on us are ridiculous.

I'm worried because of the fluctuation. I was just hoping someone could let me know if these scores/tests are representative of the actual one.

The fluctuation is due to the fact that NS makes a point to vary the difficulty of random sections between tests. For example NS 3 cars is wayyyy harder than NS 2 cars.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I did NS FL 1 a couple days ago and I found that their CARS was nothing like what I encountered in the real MCAT that I wrote a couple years ago. NS CARS was very straightforward in comparison to the actual test (I scored 8).

I scored 513 for NS FL1, which left me really confused -- I've been doing TBR passages for 3 weeks and have been doing rather poorly (getting ~70 questions out of 100 on chapter q's). I'm not sure what to make of the score right now, and I was hoping that FL 1 might help me make my decision in postponing the test or not. If anyone has any insight to share, it would be really appreciated.

I did NS FL 1 a couple days ago and I found that their CARS was nothing like what I encountered in the real MCAT that I wrote a couple years ago. NS CARS was very straightforward in comparison to the actual test (I scored 8).

I scored 513 for NS FL1, which left me really confused -- I've been doing TBR passages for 3 weeks and have been doing rather poorly (getting ~70 questions out of 100 on chapter q's). I'm not sure what to make of the score right now, and I was hoping that FL 1 might help me make my decision in postponing the test or not. If anyone has any insight to share, it would be really appreciated.
70% on TBR and 513 NS are both good scores.

NS generally deflate scores, not as badly as Kaplan or TPR, but still by a good amount. If you keep at it you should score well, most likely 510+ given your NS range.

Is there a central data set so we can see if any of these companies come close to predicting test day? It's been over a year now, there have to be thousands willing to share scores on SDN.

I'm deciding between EK and NS for my practice tests and want to make the best decision.

Is there a central data set so we can see if any of these companies come close to predicting test day? It's been over a year now, there have to be thousands willing to share scores on SDN.

I'm deciding between EK and NS for my practice tests and want to make the best decision.

Yea, there's a spreadsheet somewhere, but I can't find it.

Reactions: 1 users
Right click a cell, select "Get link to this cell", then use that link in a new tab to open it in Google Docs. From there you can copy / download / etc.