Next step in career.. Any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

First a PhD or a year of residency?

• A year of residency

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • PhD

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Something else, namely...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cupcak3berry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm a medical student in my final year and am completing a master's degree in Medicine and a master's degree in Epidemiology at the end of this semester.

I think I want to become an internist-intensivist or a neurologist, still doubting between the two. Here in my country, if you have done a PhD in the field of interest, it increases your chances for the desired residency spot. I want to combine research and clinical work later on in my career as well, and I like to do research. But, I'm afraid to forget a lot of clinical stuff if I will do a PhD (4 years of no clinical experience, but namely data-analysis). My friends are doing a year of residency and others are doing a PhD.

Could anyone recommend any course of action? I'm a bit confused on what to do next..

Any advice is appreciated :) Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!

I'm a medical student in my final year and am completing a master's degree in Medicine and a master's degree in Epidemiology at the end of this semester.

I think I want to become an internist-intensivist or a neurologist, still doubting between the two. Here in my country, if you have done a PhD in the field of interest, it increases your chances for the desired residency spot. I want to combine research and clinical work later on in my career as well, and I like to do research. But, I'm afraid to forget a lot of clinical stuff if I will do a PhD (4 years of no clinical experience, but namely data-analysis). My friends are doing a year of residency and others are doing a PhD.

Could anyone recommend any course of action? I'm a bit confused on what to do next..

Any advice is appreciated :) Thanks!

Talk to advisors in your country who truly understand the pros and cons of either option.