New Zeland application for international student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nikoniko12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum and this will be my first time applying to dental schools. I am a Canadian citizen, born and live in Ontario, Canada, and will be applying to accredited dental school around the world.

The Canadian dental association says that The Dental Council of New Zealand is accredited, but when I go to their website and try to apply to their dental school, I'm finding it confusing to choose which program to apply for. It shows 2 options, pre-graduate (Bachelor of Dental Surgery) and post-graduate studies. What is the equivalent to studying here in Canada, as most of the universities offer to study to become a Doctor of Dental Surgery OR Doctor of Dental Medicine.

I will have completed by bachelors degree by April of 2018, the year which I would like to be accepted into a university. So, which program should I be applying for, and how do I go about applying to universities in New Zeland (I'm finding both of these hard to find/do)?

Thank you for your help!

EDIT: The same thing when applying to Irish Dental schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you're thinking of coming back to North america, really consider a US/ Canada school. applying to NZ/ireland should be your last choice.

If you're thinking of coming back to North america, really consider a US/ Canada school. applying to NZ/ireland should be your last choice.
How come? What's wrong with applying to either of those international countries?

Members don't see this ad :)
Education in Canada/ USA is considered top notch. Grade requirements for the rest of the world in general are much much lower and you may be looked down upon. In certain professions such as business or dentistry for that matter the school name plays a role. Patients would rather go to a dentist who studied in Canada/USA than elsewhere. I'm not saying you're a bad student because you choose to go elsewhere, maybe you have monetary restrictions and this is your only option but realize there are some barriers you will face down the line.

Education in Canada/ USA is considered top notch. Grade requirements for the rest of the world in general are much much lower and you may be looked down upon. In certain professions such as business or dentistry for that matter the school name plays a role. Patients would rather go to a dentist who studied in Canada/USA than elsewhere. I'm not saying you're a bad student because you choose to go elsewhere, maybe you have monetary restrictions and this is your only option but realize there are some barriers you will face down the line.

Canada has reciprocal dental degree recognition with Australia, New Zealand and Ireland (as they do with US) so the OP can just go to school there and then return to practice without having to repeat anything. All of those are developed Western Countries. A lot of US schools have literally zero name recognition to them so get off your high horse. Patients want to go to someone who is down to earth and can communicate to them well.

Reactions: 1 users
To OP you want to apply to post-graduate option as you already have a Bachelor's degree.

Reactions: 1 user
Canada has reciprocal dental degree recognition with Australia, New Zealand and Ireland (as they do with US) so the OP can just go to school there and then return to practice without having to repeat anything. All of those are developed Western Countries. A lot of US schools have literally zero name recognition to them so get off your high horse. Patients want to go to someone who is down to earth and can communicate to them well.

Isnt the average GPA for acceptance there a LOT lower?If you can't make it in Canada, try the US, if not, then Australia, and last chance ranch at NZ? I never looked at other places since I want to practice in the USA but there is this general sentiment among the predents of my school.

Whose on their high horse? Clearly you're not a business man/woman.

Isnt the average GPA for acceptance there a LOT lower?If you can't make it in Canada, try the US, if not, then Australia, and last chance ranch at NZ? I never looked at other places since I want to practice in the USA but there is this general sentiment among the predents of my school.
Yea that's the general trend

Considered top notch by dentists from those countries, who attended those schools.
If other schools are accredited then they are not worse
Patients care for friendliness and prices

Considered top notch by dentists from those countries, who attended those schools.
If other schools are accredited then they are not worse
Patients care for friendliness and prices
Yes i'm aware of that. Which is why i stated if you're planning on coming back to north america. I'm not saying the aren't accredited or bad schools, they may be great schools but I can tell you among many professionals i have spoken with you will face some bias against you. i'm not saying the school makes the dentist. I'm saying that school name/ location matters.

Yes i'm aware of that. Which is why i stated if you're planning on coming back to north america. I'm not saying the aren't accredited or bad schools, they may be great schools but I can tell you among many professionals i have spoken with you will face some bias against you. i'm not saying the school makes the dentist. I'm saying that school name/ location matters.
Who is so self conscious to care what other dentists think about school which OP would graduate from?
You mean during job interviews? So, basically thousands of foreign trained dentists from India, for example, don't stand a chance?

Who is so self conscious to care what other dentists think about school which OP would graduate from?
You mean during job interviews? So, basically thousands of foreign trained dentists from India, for example, don't stand a chance?
That is not what I said. re-read my post.

90% of patients won't care or look where their dentist went to school. US schools have lower GPAs than Canadian ones, so by extension of your logic they are subpar schools?

90% of patients won't care or look where their dentist went to school. US schools have lower GPAs than Canadian ones, so by extension of your logic they are subpar schools?
1) If you read my statement closely I wrote: "Education in Canada/ USA is considered top notch. Grade requirements for the rest of the world..." 2) I never said they are sub-par schools; maybe the education you get from them is great however, going to schools which require a gpa of 3.0 or lower in some cases vs a 3.6 there is a difference (Also not sure where you got the 90% from lol). I don't know which clinic(s) you worked/volunteered at but many patients in my area do ask where the dentist got his/her education. And by extension of your logic all schools are equal- give me a break. Don't feel like this is an attack on you. I just speak truth, no sugar added.

That is not what I said. re-read my post.
I personally don't care where someone went to school, I care what they know and what they are able to do. From my experience there are plenty of "idiots" with a top notch education as well as sub par one.
OP just does not want to waste his life on Canadian schools, which are too hard to get into or American ones, which are too expensive. Why not go explore other countries and get an education which is recognized by CDA and is easier or cheaper? Is it really more important to have "Harvard" written on your wall plaque or have fun in your 20s and 30s instead of crouching over books and later paying off enormous loans?

Just came back to the site to this is lol. Thanks for the helpful tips and everything. Was just a quick question to see what degree I should be looking for. I want to apply everywhere just to make sure I get some interviews and not waste a year doing nothing after completing my undergrad.