New York COM (NYIT-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess one of the reason why the wait list is so long is that the tuition is really high and prospect students, like myself, who already put the deposit in,end up giving up the spot because they can not afford it or can not find loans to cover it. Just found out from my NYIT connect account, tuition is 60000, not including insurance and other fees. Financial package is not out yet, hopefully, the number from there is just estimated and the actual number is lower, and my financial aid package can cover it. Fingers and toes both crossed.

Members don't see this ad.

I guess one of the reason why the wait list is so long is that the tuition is really high and prospect students, like myself, who already put the deposit in,end up giving up the spot because they can not afford it or can not find loans to cover it. Just found out from my NYIT connect account, tuition is 60000, not including insurance and other fees. Financial package is not out yet, hopefully, the number from there is just estimated and the actual number is lower, and my financial aid package can cover it. Fingers and toes both crossed.

Total cost excluding living expense is ~63k (~58k if you are under parent's insurance) and if you don't live at home, then total COA is ~90k. But where did you hear about not being able to find loans to cover COA? I'm sure the school with work with you to take out the necessary loans considering most people can't drop 350k for 4 years. Whether or not you choose to take out such loans to attend is another issue.

Am I missing something? I guess the other thing that would prevent you from qualifying for loans is if you had a really bad credit history.

Complete since late July, reapplicant... Haven't heard a thing from this school. Trying not to give up hope:(

Members don't see this ad :)
Total cost excluding living expense is ~63k (~58k if you are under parent's insurance) and if you don't live at home, then total COA is ~90k. But where did you hear about not being able to find loans to cover COA? I'm sure the school with work with you to take out the necessary loans considering most people can't drop 350k for 4 years. Whether or not you choose to take out such loans to attend is another issue.

Am I missing something? I guess the other thing that would prevent you from qualifying for loans is if you had a really bad credit history.

Nah hes just wrong. Maxed fafsa + grad plus loans will cover everyone. Your credit doesnt even have to be that good. You just cant have outstanding payments on your current loans AFAIK

Nah hes just wrong. Maxed fafsa + grad plus loans will cover everyone. Your credit doesnt even have to be that good. You just cant have outstanding payments on your current loans AFAIK

When you say outstanding payments, that includes undergrad loans? I have ~60k in loans from undergrad. Dont be scaring me like that o_O. I thought those can be deferred and wouldnt disqualify you from grad plus loans. Its hard because I called financial aid a couple of times and didnt get much info.

I said outstanding payments..as in youve defaulted. If you deferred youre fine

When you say outstanding payments, that includes undergrad loans? I have ~60k in loans from undergrad. Dont be scaring me like that o_O. I thought those can be deferred and wouldnt disqualify you from grad plus loans. Its hard because I called financial aid a couple of times and didnt get much info.
I was saying that because I looked at the eligibility of FA and it said that it would disqualify you from receiving loan for grad school if you have a default loan. I have 35K undergrad loan and have yet made a payment. My loan has been delinquent and I am very worried about if I am eligible for grad loan.

Do you guys know what would be the "better" loan to take out? I understand that lower interest rates are ideal, but is there anything else to take into account? This is my first time going through something like this so any advice would be appreciated!

I was saying that because I looked at the eligibility of FA and it said that it would disqualify you from receiving loan for grad school if you have a default loan. I have 35K undergrad loan and have yet made a payment. My loan has been delinquent and I am very worried about if I am eligible for grad loan.

As far as i know you wont be eligible until you either make a payment or call them and get it deferred. Just get it deferred..you probably should have done it before you defaulted because that definitely hit your credit score.

Sorry to hear about that, but why didn't you ask for an unemployment deferment? I made my first payment a year and a half after I graduated. The federal loans granted me unemployment deferment while the privates were pretty understanding about it. They gave me a 2 year payment options to only cover the monthly interest payment.

Do you guys know what would be the "better" loan to take out? I understand that lower interest rates are ideal, but is there anything else to take into account? This is my first time going through something like this so any advice would be appreciated!

I don't think there are many options for you to choose from. The government loans in your financial aid would probably be the best deal. Relatively low interest rates and good repayment options. Private loans can be pretty nasty with the interest rates and aren't as flexible for repayment plans once you graduate. After those loans, as pseud0 stated, you cover the rest with Grad Plus Loans which are also government loans with decent interest rates.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the advice! So my guess is that the financial package will lay out the total cost to attend for four years as well as the loans that we are eligible for?

As far as i know the financial aid office will contact each of us individually in the coming months and lay out all of our options and whatnot. I dont think we have to worry about figuring much out ourselves

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear about that, but why didn't you ask for an unemployment deferment? I made my first payment a year and a half after I graduated. The federal loans granted me unemployment deferment while the privates were pretty understanding about it. They gave me a 2 year payment options to only cover the monthly interest payment.

I don't think there are many options for you to choose from. The government loans in your financial aid would probably be the best deal. Relatively low interest rates and good repayment options. Private loans can be pretty nasty with the interest rates and aren't as flexible for repayment plans once you graduate. After those loans, as pseud0 stated, you cover the rest with Grad Plus Loans which are also government loans with decent interest rates.
Just called fedloan and requested a general forbearance as the representative suggested.. It will bring down the delinquent status and, once I officially enrolled, I can file for deferment until graduating from med school. Now I feel a bit better. Thank you guys.

Does anyone know when we will be receiving financial aid packages? Also, any ideas on looking for housing? I've heard people rent houses but I'm not getting many results with that.

Does anyone know when we will be receiving financial aid packages? Also, any ideas on looking for housing? I've heard people rent houses but I'm not getting many results with that.

I got a email today regarding financial aid package thing and it said that it should be available in coming weeks. I would also love to know about housing options. I don't think NYIT offers any student housing. I think its up to us to figure out the housing stuff. I guess getting an apartment and finding roommates is a way to go.

Last edited:
As far as i know the financial aid office will contact each of us individually in the coming months and lay out all of our options and whatnot. I dont think we have to worry about figuring much out ourselves
Thanks! That's reassuring.

Any movement on Waitlist for anyone yet?
this wait time is a killer.

I got a email today regarding financial aid package thing and it said that it should be available in coming weeks. I would also love to know about housing options. I don't think NYIT offers any student housing. I think its up to us to figure out the housing stuff. I guess getting an apartment and finding roommates is a way to go.
are you currently looking for housing and roommates?

Does anyone know if they are still providing students with an ipad air? Currently debating on which laptop to get (PC vs. MBP). I know the entering class of 2015 received one, but the website information/requirements haven't been updated. This would make my laptop decision much easier.

I thought i heard them mention giving an ipad at the interview. I cant say im sure though

I thought i heard them mention giving an ipad at the interview. I cant say im sure though

I think they said there are iPads located throughout the cadaver lab with 3D human anatomy software to help us better understand and find different muscles nerves and what not.

Received an email from admissions on 3/13 (after sending them an update email), and they stated that those still being considered, if selected, will be invited for an interview via email by April 1st.
So maybe there is still some small thread of hope.

Received an email from admissions on 3/13 (after sending them an update email), and they stated that those still being considered, if selected, will be invited for an interview via email by April 1st.
So maybe there is still some small thread of hope.

They told me the same when I called. Do you know if they accept update letters or letters of interest?

When do accepted students typically hear back about their financial awards?

as a current 1st year, they gave us an ipad air. I can say with 100% certainty that the incoming class will also be getting ipad airs since we take our exams with them.

Does anyone know if they are still providing students with an ipad air? Currently debating on which laptop to get (PC vs. MBP). I know the entering class of 2015 received one, but the website information/requirements haven't been updated. This would make my laptop decision much easier.

Reactions: 2 users
Matchlist for NYIT-COM 2017.

As an aside, I know there has be criticism of NYIT's attrition rate (which scared me off initially as well) but I just want to put that flame out once and for all. In the recently years, NYIT attrition rate has drastically decreased to be on par with the general medical school rates. Most of the comments circulating on SDN about its poor attribution is from re-quotations of people's responses from many many years in the past that just keep getting regurgitated. This is simply not the case anymore as there any many factors now that goes into your block's grade that one bad exam won't have significant impact. In most exams the avg has been in the mid 80's the lowest I've see is a class avg of high 70s. I know I am just one person but take this input as you may.

So hopefully this will reduce some anxiety for those that browsed through past NYIT posts like I did!

BTW congratz on those that got accepted!

Attachments

• 2017 Internship and Residency Placement Location by Specialty.pdf
    301.1 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Dat Duke, JH, and MGH match... Must've been some supastars :eek:

Last edited:
Just hit 4 weeks since my interview, anybody heard anything from them recently?

Don't know when, but I'm assuming in the coming months, seeing as they sent an email via nyit emails to not send any Title IV forms or additional paperwork yet until they receive confirmation of 2017-2018 tuition?

Also am trying to look for housing and roommates. Potential roomies anyone? The housing list they supposedly update every other Friday doesn't have much (the one on the web board).

Does NYITCOM have a Second Look Day? If so, when is it?

Reactions: 1 users
Just got the email that the interview season has concluded. Congrats to those accepted!

Still no further updates on financial aid packages / second look day on my end

Still no further updates on financial aid packages / second look day on my end

I just received mail regarding aid distribution they haven't announce cost of tuition for 2017-2018 yet according to email.

Put on the ever expanding waitlist yesterday (4/11), interviewed 3/3.

Hi! Does anyone remember approximately how long it took to receive the acceptance packet after receiving the acceptance email? I'm getting antsy waiting :) thanks!

Where was your acceptance? If you don't mind telling me

I have sGPA 3.49, cGPA 3.63, MCAT 495

3.49 gpa (both), 500 MCAT. Had 6 transcripts, several prereq retakes, and online/cc courses.

Is there anywhere besides the Facebook page where people are posting to find roommates? It seems like only a handful of people have posted about roommates on the fb page..