New York COM, Jonesboro Campus (NYIT-COM, Jonesboro) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted!! A while ago actually and am so excited but I'm having a hard time deciding whether to pick NYIT- arkansas. For others that either live around there, or are attending the campus now or even interviewed, what do you think about the pass/fail/honors (top 10%) grading and the area around the school? People have told me that having an honors system with the top 10% getting honors creates a competitive environment instead of everyone helping and studying together. So thoughts please? Message me directly if you want. thank you

While the top 10% may cause some competition, I have not experienced that in my class here in Arkansas. Everyone is very willing and happy to help each other. There is always groups of people studying together throughout the entire building. To be honest though, most people are not worrying about getting honors but rather just wanting to learn the information and pass the classes. Honoring pre-clinical classes while great won't have that big of an impact on matching into a residency. Learning the material and preparing for the boards will have a much greater impact.

In relation to Jonesboro, it depends on what you want out of a city. I enjoy Jonesboro overall, except the mosquitoes in the summer. If you want to directly message me with specific questions, I'll happily answer them honestly.

AltMentStat

Members don't see this ad :)
While the top 10% may cause some competition, I have not experienced that in my class here in Arkansas. Everyone is very willing and happy to help each other. There is always groups of people studying together throughout the entire building. To be honest though, most people are not worrying about getting honors but rather just wanting to learn the information and pass the classes. Honoring pre-clinical classes while great won't have that big of an impact on matching into a residency. Learning the material and preparing for the boards will have a much greater impact.

In relation to Jonesboro, it depends on what you want out of a city. I enjoy Jonesboro overall, except the mosquitoes in the summer. If you want to directly message me with specific questions, I'll happily answer them honestly.

AltMentStat
Thank you!

AltMentStat
See that's the problem I really liked both. My interviewers at the other one were so sweet and all the med students we got to talk to were really nice and answered all our questions. Sort of wish NYIT had students we could also ask questions

Reactions: 1 users
hi everyone, i just got an interview invitation here. i know i should be pumped (which i am), im just nervous about being so far away from home ( i live in MI), and not knowing anything about the arkansas area. can any current students here message me or reply about their experience with transitioning from out of state and in general how the area is? i obviously haven't been accepted but just want to know some info. thank you!!

Just got accepted! Can any current students tell me a bit on what to expect from the school? Do you like the way the information is taught? What is there to do in Arkansas? And how is housing?

Sorry for all the questions just really excited! :soexcited:

Just got accepted! Can any current students tell me a bit on what to expect from the school? Do you like the way the information is taught? What is there to do in Arkansas? And how is housing?

Sorry for all the questions just really excited! :soexcited:
Congrats! When did you interview?

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! When did you interview?
I interviewed February 13th, they said they are really slow with deciding but I got it pretty quick. I keep rechecking my email to make sure it's real lol

Wow! I'm jealous. I went to interview on the 2nd and still haven't heard anything yet. Anyways, you should definitely be happy for getting in

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow! I'm jealous. I went to interview on the 2nd and still haven't heard anything yet. Anyways, you should definitely be happy for getting in
Thank you! Oh wow, well then I'll definitely keep checking to make sure it's not a fluke lol. I hope you hear back from them soon :)

I interviewed February 13th, they said they are really slow with deciding but I got it pretty quick. I keep rechecking my email to make sure it's real lol

Wow, that's crazy, and definitely making me more anxious. I interviewed on the 9th, and was ok because it's been less then a week, but I guess the admissions committee has meet since then, so could find out any time now.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Wow, that's crazy, and definitely making me more anxious. I interviewed on the 9th, and was ok because it's been less then a week, but I guess the admissions committee has meet since then, so could find out any time now.

Hmmm it's definitely weird how they're doing things lol but I'm not complaining. I'm sure you'll hear from them soon, hopefully with some great news :)

Waitlisted just now. Interviewed 2/2. Glad to have some information, sad there's more waiting involved.

Did anyone from the interview group on February 13th receive their acceptance letter yet? I want to know how long I have til the deposit has to be made...

I got placed on the wait list. Do I have any hope of being accepted or is it too late into the cycle?

I got placed on the wait list. Do I have any hope of being accepted or is it too late into the cycle?
When was your interview?
I think that there is always a chance because people drop their acceptances all the time and go somewhere else which should cause you to go up on the list.

Don't lose hope! :)

Yea I'm sure some student will leave if they get accepted to UAMS

There's always hope! I'm in the same boat, but look at it this way, they wouldn't have a waitlist if they didn't accept anyone from it. We would've been rejected if they didn't want us there. That being said, I have no clue how big the waitlist gets or how much movement occurs.

Thanks guys! I'll remain optimistic for sure but that being said I like be realistic so I can plan in case there isn't much movement. I interviewed on 2/6

Thanks guys! I'll remain optimistic for sure but that being said I like be realistic so I can plan in case there isn't much movement. I interviewed on 2/6
You have until orientation in august so be patient :) stay strong and preoccupied!

Yea if that's your weak point. Or Volunteering. I'm not sure what your stats are so it's hard to say which way to go

Could I draft an update letter and send it to you please? I am very excited about this school and would really love to go here.

Accepted!! A while ago actually and am so excited but I'm having a hard time deciding whether to pick NYIT- arkansas. For others that either live around there, or are attending the campus now or even interviewed, what do you think about the pass/fail/honors (top 10%) grading and the area around the school? People have told me that having an honors system with the top 10% getting honors creates a competitive environment instead of everyone helping and studying together. So thoughts please? Message me directly if you want. thank you

I'll take a shot at the honors issue (current student at the school).

I personally haven't found any issues with having honors. It may lead to some competition but it isn't across the entire class. This is literally ~40 people out of 400 that will get the honors status. I know several people that are typically in the running for getting honors and none of them have ever not been willing to help others with questions or problems. We have study groups throughout the entire building every day helping each other with the material. I wouldn't let the honors system have any impact on deciding if you should attend the school or not. There are much bigger issues to base that decision.

In relation to the town, Jonesboro is quite nice for the population and size of it. You can typically get anywhere in town in less than 20 minutes and pretty much anything that you could want or need is here in the city. If it isn't then Memphis is ~1 hour drive away. I've only found a couple negatives to Jonesboro. For one, it is pretty flat and coming from the other side of the state which has the Ozark mountains has been an adjustment. The other issue is the mosquitoes get really bad in the summer. You are in the Mississippi River Delta region surrounding by rice fields so that is something I had to get used to as well.

I personally haven't found any issues with having honors. It may lead to some competition but it isn't across the entire class. This is literally ~40 people out of 400 that will get the honors status. I know several people that are typically in the running for getting honors and none of them have ever not been willing to help others with questions or problems. We have study groups throughout the entire building every day helping each other with the material. I wouldn't let the honors system have any impact on deciding if you should attend the school or not. There are much bigger issues to base that decision.

In relation to the town, Jonesboro is quite nice for the population and size of it. You can typically get anywhere in town in less than 20 minutes and pretty much anything that you could want or need is here in the city. If it isn't then Memphis is ~1 hour drive away. I've only found a couple negatives to Jonesboro. For one, it is pretty flat and coming from the other side of the state which has the Ozark mountains has been an adjustment. The other issue is the mosquitoes get really bad in the summer. You are in the Mississippi River Delta region surrounding by rice fields so that is something I had to get used to as well.

I've been accepted and plan to go here. So do you like it overall and do you feel like the material is being taught to you in a decent way?

Had my interview 2/13 and got my acceptance 2/15. When I had my interview they said only about half of their class has been filled, so at this point in the cycle they want to fill their seats pretty fast. If they like you they'll probably get back to you soon. If you haven't heard back within a week, expect to be waitlisted or rejected.

To those accepted did y'all get your immunization forms in within a month? The package we got wasn't very clear with deadlines and I just got the reminder email for it and am definitely not going to be able to get it done in time...

I've been accepted and plan to go here. So do you like it overall and do you feel like the material is being taught to you in a decent way?

I feel that so far the material is being presented pretty well. There were a couple times that I wondered why a lecture was being given at a certain time but those are anomalies typically. A OMSII from the New York campus may be able to help you more on that seeing as they have actually been through most of the material.

To those accepted did y'all get your immunization forms in within a month? The package we got wasn't very clear with deadlines and I just got the reminder email for it and am definitely not going to be able to get it done in time...

Contact admissions and ask them how you need to handle this matter. This is something that is best straight from the horse's mouth. :)

thank you!

By when do we have to pay the deposit fee? I didnt see any date mentioned in the email

Last edited:
Is this group for people in New York though? Or is it for both?

This one will be more centered on the New York students. I would recommend joining it though. Questions about the school overall will be relevant to both sites and there will be several upperclassmen on these pages.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1745372162444985/

Try this group for the Arkansas campus. Several of the current medical students at Arkansas are on this page as well and willing to answer questions.

YES...II. Any thoughts or tips? What is the interview structure...panel, mmi, 1 on 1?

YES...II. Any thoughts or tips? What is the interview structure...panel, mmi, 1 on 1?

Congrats! hope you get accepted :)

The interview structure is very laid back. They did one on one, you can either get an MD, DO, PhD or something else i think? I got the PhD teacher as my interviewer. It was very conversational. You'll be divided into groups A B C or D and depending on your group will tell you when you get interviewed. For instance, I was C2 so I took the tour first and then was the 2nd selected from the group to be interviewed. The tour for the first hour gave me a chance to relax my mind so I really liked that. I would go on SDN and look at the old interview questions people have received from their interviews. My interviewer's questions were basically all from the list unless we decided to talk about something specific to me.

I hope it goes well for you

If you have anymore questions feel free to PM me :)

Did someone try to activate the NYIT portal to pay the 1500 ? Cause I'm having trouble finding my name on the account?

Congrats! hope you get accepted :)

The interview structure is very laid back. They did one on one, you can either get an MD, DO, PhD or something else i think? I got the PhD teacher as my interviewer. It was very conversational. You'll be divided into groups A B C or D and depending on your group will tell you when you get interviewed. For instance, I was C2 so I took the tour first and then was the 2nd selected from the group to be interviewed. The tour for the first hour gave me a chance to relax my mind so I really liked that. I would go on SDN and look at the old interview questions people have received from their interviews. My interviewer's questions were basically all from the list unless we decided to talk about something specific to me.

I hope it goes well for you

If you have anymore questions feel free to PM me :)

Thank you. This was so helpful! I will definitely check out the old threads. Considering MMI's have grown in popularity I've been preparing for lots of 1 on 1s. But a couple I can do. Good ol 1 on 1 conversations!