New York COM, Jonesboro Campus (NYIT-COM, Jonesboro) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm sorry to hear that! May I ask your stats?

Thanks, but I'm not surprised. I didn't feel the interview went that great. I do think it seems like a good program with a lot of great opportunities and the people were very nice.

Stats: MCAT 504, cgpa 3.6, sgpa 3.4, I'm a non-trad with a lot of direct patient care experience, lots of volunteer work...

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks, but I'm not surprised. I didn't feel the interview went that great. I do think it seems like a good program with a lot of great opportunities and the people were very nice.

Stats: MCAT 504, cgpa 3.6, sgpa 3.4, I'm a non-trad with a lot of direct patient care experience, lots of volunteer work...

Hmm. That's strange. I don't know how mine went! I wish you the best though!

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/art...pathic-schools-needed-to-meet-demand?page=all

Here is some interesting information for those of us who are in the waitlist

"The school is vetting applications for its second class. It already has enough to fill 115 seats, and it has a waiting list of another 100 students. At this point, she said, half are from Arkansas and 70 percent are from the Delta. "

This was written in March 7th so it should be somewhat accurate on how big the waitlist is

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/art...pathic-schools-needed-to-meet-demand?page=all

Here is some interesting information for those of us who are in the waitlist

"The school is vetting applications for its second class. It already has enough to fill 115 seats, and it has a waiting list of another 100 students. At this point, she said, half are from Arkansas and 70 percent are from the Delta. "

This was written in March 7th so it should be somewhat accurate on how big the waitlist is
Daaaaamn......

Anybody else having issues paying the deposit? When I click the "My Account" link within the NYITConnect portal, it opens another portal asking for another set of login credentials or a parent pin. My NYIT credentials aren't working for this portal.

Im sorry you feel it didn't go as well as you'd hoped. May I ask, with whom did you interview?

Im sorry you feel it didn't go as well as you'd hoped. May I ask, with whom did you interview?

I don't really want to say who specifically I interviewed with on here (If you want to PM I will) but the person was great and very nice, I just felt like I could have answered the "why DO" and one or two other questions better.

Anyone interviewing 3/30 who wants to split an uber with me? I'm flying into memphis.

Anyone interviewing 3/30 who wants to split an uber with me? I'm flying into memphis.

Make sure you have a plan to get from Jonesboro back to Memphis. Neither UBER nor Lyft is established there and there's limited cab options (I found this out the hard way)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know when DO schools generally have movement in their waitlist :(?

Around May i think tho
So..... there are about 100 people on the waitlist. The school can extend seats to nine individuals (this excludes people who take acceptances elsewhere or forgo their acceptance for personal reasons) I would say out of 115 people it is likely for at least 2-5 who decide not to go. This is speculation on information that's available in this forum but I suppose there would be about 10-15 people who could be accepted from the waitlist. So basically we have a 10-15% chance of being accepted to NYIT. The last interview for the school is this Thursday. We might have to wait until August to be accepted. Good luck to everyone

So..... there are about 100 people on the waitlist. The school can extend seats to nine individuals (this excludes people who take acceptances elsewhere or forgo their acceptance for personal reasons) I would say out of 115 people it is likely for at least 2-5 who decide not to go. This is speculation on information that's available in this forum but I suppose there would be about 10-15 people who could be accepted from the waitlist. So basically we have a 10-15% chance of being accepted to NYIT. The last interview for the school is this Thursday. We might have to wait until August to be accepted. Good luck to everyone

yea just keep writing letters of interests/intents to increase your chances, GL

Letters of interest vs letter of intent? Google returned various/inconsistent results...,is there a forum for this?

Letter of intent means that School X is your number #1 choice and if accepted, you will attend. Letter of interest means School Z is one of your top choices.

Interviewed 3/13, just got an email about being on the waitlist today.

Does adcom actually reject anyone post interview, or is everyone placed on the wait list?

Last edited:
Interviewed on 3/9 also. Got wait listed.

when did you interview?
Given the number of wait listed candidates, is there still a decent chance? It seems like a lost cause at this point.

March interview. I agree that the current wait list numbers suggest a low probability of acceptance....but I'll never give up.

How many people are on the waitlist?

There's over 100 people on the waitlist current; someone posted an article previously stating that. And from what I have seen/heard they do not send post-interview rejections.

Does anyone know anything about their rotations? Im a little concerned tbh

Does anyone know anything about their rotations? Im a little concerned tbh

I asked this at my interview and was not given a straight response. I was told that, "basically the hospitals nearby are very excited for the students to begin rotations." When I asked where these places were or what their names were, I was not given a particular name. Just FYI

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I asked this at my interview and was not given a straight response. I was told that, "basically the hospitals nearby are very excited for the students to begin rotations." When I asked where these places were or what their names were, I was not given a particular name. Just FYI

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

that sounds worrisome lol...

Does anyone know if you would have the opportunity to do your rotations in New York as well or do you have to do them there?

Does anyone know if you would have the opportunity to do your rotations in New York as well or do you have to do them there?
Accepted students received emails about this. They have 28 sites all over the state and quite a few out of the state.

Accepted students received emails about this. They have 28 sites all over the state and quite a few out of the state.
I second that. They already have several locations and are planning on adding more.

I've been doing some research about Jonesboro and found out that the city's safety rating is pretty low... Can any current students comment on how safe they feel on campus and surrounding areas.

Jonesboro, AR crime rates and statistics - NeighborhoodScout

Hey! So Jonesboro is actually pretty safe. I looked at the crime reporting methodology of the website you linked and it says that areas with a large number of migrants tend to have inflated numbers. The information given is per permanent resident. Jonesboro has like 70,000 permanent residents but 14,000 "migrant" residents because of A-State. So the crimes of all 84,000 "residents" ends up being out of only 70,000 permanent residents. The city itself is also bustling on the weekends. If I remember this info correctly, something like 250,000 come to Jonesboro on the weekend to shop, eat, and hang out. Basically... the data used to compile this isn't any good for a true college town.

Last edited:
Hey! So Jonesboro is actually pretty safe. I looked at the crime reporting methodology of the website you linked and it says that areas with a large number of migrants tend to have inflated numbers. The information given is per perminant resident. Jonesboro has like 70,000 permanent residents but 14,000 "migrant" residents because of A-State. So the crimes of all 84,000 "residents" ends up being out of only 70,000 permanent residents. The city itself is also bustling on the weekends. If I remember this info correctly, something like 250,000 come to Jonesboro on the weekend to shop, eat, and hang out. Basically... the data used to compile this isn't any good for a true college town.

Oooh, interesting. Thanks for clarifying!

Current first year at NYITCOM-ASU. For all of you asking about 3rd and 4th year rotations, our faculty are working diligently to provide you with the best education possible. They have been establishing relationships with hospitals for the past couple of years. I'm not really sure why this is such a pressing matter, as you have to get through first and second year first, but this seems to be a real concern for a lot of the upcoming students. Just because this is a new campus doesn't mean that they're going to leave you empty-handed. There are sites already established and as this campus continues to grow, so will the number of clinical rotation sites. Rotation sites have been set up in the following cities and hospitals:
Jonesboro, AR; NEA Baptist, St. Bernards
Paragould, AR; AMMC
North Little Rock, AR; Baptist North
Little Rock, AR: Baptist, CHI St. Vincent
Benton, AR; Saline Memorial Hospital
Mountain Home, AR; Baxter Regional Medical Center
Batesville, AR; White River Medical
Searcy, AR; Unity Health
Fayetteville, AR; Washington Regional
Poplar Bluff, MO; Poplar Bluff Regional
Kennett, MO; Twin Rivers Medical
Memphis, TN; Baptist Memorial System
We received this information at orientation last August. It is currently not available online. This campus is new. It is in the process of gaining establishment and the Jonesboro community is so excited to have us. My advice to you upcoming first years is to approach everything with flexibility—that is a must. You must be able to be flexible and understanding with our administration and with the Old Westbury campus as well. Every single staff member, regardless of the campus location, is working tirelessly to ensure that you receive the best education possible. There are a lot of kinks that the administration has had to work out between the two campuses—things they never would have imagined would arise, things that we have had to deal with as first years that you won't have to deal with. Regardless, every concern has been met with careful consideration and has been presented with a solution. Flexibility is imperative for a new school. Not everything is perfect, it never is and it never will be. If you expect perfection, you will be sorely disappointed. No medical school is perfect. But here you are receiving a stellar medical education (at a branch of the institution that just secured a match rate of 100% for the second year in a row). With that being said, I urge you to be flexible, to be kind, to be understanding and to be patient. You get to be a part of something bigger than yourself. You get to partner with another campus while serving a completely different community. It is an incredible opportunity. If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations!
Thanks. Hope you get your good news soon if you haven't already. Its been a long journey and I almost gave up. To all that are still waiting, do not give up, hang in there.

Thanks. Hope you get your good news soon if you haven't already. Its been a long journey and I almost gave up. To all that are still waiting, do not give up, hang in there.

Thanks :) ,Theres a ton of paperwork that has to be filled out, so i would start that soon. Most importantly, i would reserve your apartment soon (on-campus and off-campus r both filling up fast). Msg me if u need anything

Are there any Asian in 1st class2020, and also are there any asian in the fall class. I am just afraid to feel kind of out of place on this campus.

Congrats!!! Are you from Arkansas or OOS?

Thanks :) ,Theres a ton of paperwork that has to be filled out, so i would start that soon. Most importantly, i would reserve your apartment soon (on-campus and off-campus r both filling up fast). Msg me if u need anything
Thanks for that info. I will start looking for housing tonight. I 'll reach out to you if I need help in terms of good areas off-campus. Thank you.