New U.S. Surgeon General is a nurse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMetal

To shred or not shred?
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The watering down of physicians continues.

Doctor's day which no one really make recognition of (and all others get a week or so), MOC, reduce reimbursements, told to be more productive through spending less time but damn you if you're results aren't top notch!

I despise Trump but this is not a story. The deputy is acting SG because Trump finally fired one of the most underqualified physician SGs ever.

Members don't see this ad :)
And the job was gapped for two years, which goes to show what unimportant job it is

Having said that: my favorite Surgeon General was Joselyn Elders. She advocated that teenagers masturbate instead of having sex, because the latter activity leads to precarious circumstances. Quite true! I can think of a few adults that should do the same

Reactions: 1 user
I despise Trump but this is not a story. The deputy is acting SG because Trump finally fired one of the most underqualified physician SGs ever.

I will admit I didn't follow the surgeon general (civilian, not the army one) that much-- probably because of the scant impact I feel they've made (except for c Everett koop and that's probably due to nostalgia for the 80's) all I really remember was the right gun folks freaking out that he wanted to look at or discuss guns as a public health issue. your comment made me look into his background and I have to agree- surprising someone was given a position like that when they'd have a hard time justifying even an assistant chief position at an academic center. having an ivy league pedigree and experience in non-profits is great but I agree with you he probably was a political hire more than anything. of course, Obama won the nobel prize for bascially winning an election so I guess it falls in line with the trend of reaping rewards early in life I guess.

--your friendly neighborhood some jobs need gray hair caveman

The whole reason Vivek Murthy got the job as Surgeon General is because he created Doctors for Obama. He was the youngest person ever to reach the rank of O-9 and frankly had no business being nominated to such a prestigious role. For all the other nominations that President Obama had during his time in office---such as choosing a Nobel prize-winning physicist to run the Department of Energy---Murthy's credentials really fell short of the position.

C. Everett Koop was good enough to have a song written about him by the Be Sharps.

"For all the latest medical poop, call Surgeon General C. Everett Koop. Koop-Koop-a-doooop"

upload_2017-4-29_7-23-6.png

She is there for the transition but it is still highly inappropriate, in my opinion. The predecessor to the current Army S.G. was also a nurse and I can't think of any reason beyond politics and a push for relativism among medical professions.

She is there for the transition but it is still highly inappropriate, in my opinion. The predecessor to the current Army S.G. was also a nurse and I can't think of any reason beyond politics and a push for relativism among medical professions.
I agree with your point, but I want to clarify something that keeps getting repeated in the news. The predecessor you refer was actually a nurse AND a physician, which makes Trent Adams the first non physician nurse surgeon general. In my opinion, this is much different and worth clarifying.

I agree with your point, but I want to clarify something that keeps getting repeated in the news. The predecessor you refer was actually a nurse AND a physician, which makes Trent Adams the first non physician nurse surgeon general. In my opinion, this is much different and worth clarifying.
But Patricia Horoho was not a physician, at least by the biographies I can find

But Patricia Horoho was not a physician, at least by the biographies I can find
I'm sure you are right... I was thinking of US surgeon general, and you clearly referred to army surgeon general. I read your post too fast.

Some in the news are referring to Richard Carmona as being the first nurse US surgeon general without mentioning that he was also a physician. I thought this might be who you were referring to when I read your post quickly.

Sent from my XT1095 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
The whole reason Vivek Murthy got the job as Surgeon General is because he created Doctors for Obama. He was the youngest person ever to reach the rank of O-9 and frankly had no business being nominated to such a prestigious role. For all the other nominations that President Obama had during his time in office---such as choosing a Nobel prize-winning physicist to run the Department of Energy---Murthy's credentials really fell short of the position.

I think it would bother me less if the job didn't come with a military rank. Maybe coast guard healthcare should either be its own thing, or owned by the Navy, so that the rest of the public health service can stop pretending to be part of the military?

I think it would bother me less if the job didn't come with a military rank. Maybe coast guard healthcare should either be its own thing, or owned by the Navy, so that the rest of the public health service can stop pretending to be part of the military?

The Coast Guard isn't technically part of the military either.

Commonly repeated, but not a correct statement:

From the Homefront: Top 10 things we wish people knew about Coast Guard life « Coast Guard All Hands

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Most consider the military synonymous with armed forces and DoD. But, as the article mentions, the USCG is an armed force, but it is not within the DoD. I'd argue (for argument's sake of course) that your and @Cooperd0g statements are correct, depending on one's perspective and how we define our terms.

Commonly repeated, but not a correct statement:

From the Homefront: Top 10 things we wish people knew about Coast Guard life « Coast Guard All Hands

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

They were under the DOT prior to the creation of DHS. While under DOT control of the Coast Guard would transfer to the DOD during times of declared war. Not DOD, not military. Maybe an armed force, but not military. This is more a statement of opinion, of course, for the purposes of ridiculing coasties at every opportunity.

Reactions: 1 users