New TY/preliminary programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jorts42

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I notice that there are several new TY and preliminary programs that are in the "initial accreditation" stage. Is it risky to rank a new program highly? I'm wondering if any new program can lose accreditation quickly while you're there and then you get kicked out of your advanced program too. I'm not sure how this works so can someone fill me in? I'm sure lots are wondering the same thing.

https://apps.acgme.org/ads/Public/R...entYear=2018&SpecialtyId=&AcademicYearId=2016

Members don't see this ad.

All you need is for them to be accredited for 1 year...long enough to get your intern certificate. If the program shuts down July 1 after you finish, you're fine.

In general, initial accreditation means "this program will be fine, they just need to dot a few i's and cross a few t's".

Don't make more anxiety for yourself than necessary.

All you need is for them to be accredited for 1 year...long enough to get your intern certificate. If the program shuts down July 1 after you finish, you're fine.

In general, initial accreditation means "this program will be fine, they just need to dot a few i's and cross a few t's".

Don't make more anxiety for yourself than necessary.

Thanks for the response. I was under the impression that they're only accredited for the 2016-17 year currently but we're applying for the 2017-18 year. There's a lot of time between March and July after we're already locked in.

I understand that it's neurotic to think this could happen but I just feel clueless about the process