New Podiatry School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A PA degree isn't a full, unrestricted scope - their orders are always under the auspices of a physician and signed off by their authority (unless this differs in other states, which would be unfortunate).

That sounds nice, but many practice independant of any real supervision whatsoever, especially in rural areas. There are a few things they cannot do, such as write an order for diabetic shoes, but they can treat the entire body head to toe. Every MRI, lab order, prescription does not have to be cosigned as with a resident. They are more physician than assistant, especially in the realm of primary care. A dual degree would increase our scope of practice.

I'm not saying I'd want one, I'm saying it's an easier route to approach parity.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding call, and getting ED referrals: I feel your pain on getting a lack of trauma. I have tried and tried at several hospitals to make it known that I love fixing ankle fractures and taking care of F/A trauma, and I can count on one hand how many patients I have been sent, public aid or otherwise. I've tried to meet ER MDs, PAs, and NPs, and I've basically given up expecting anything traumatic. Now they have no problem calling me on that infected, diabetic, public aid, foot infection, but trauma goes to their ER buddies. It is partly due to a strong ortho presence and politics, and partly because Podiatry has not taken these cases in the past (we're 20 years behind the curve in my area). You also have to think that that ER doctor who has been working there for years, already has someone they rely on for F/A trauma (or all trauma for that matter), someone that they probably know and like personally. And you're trying to convince them that you, as a fresh new graduate, as a PODIATRIST, can treat that bimall ANKLE fracture better than the guy/gal they've been sending people to, well that can come off as almost offensive.
Sounds like we're having similar experiences. As you mentioned, there are several reasons why we're not getting the trauma. To the original point of the thread, having another degree probably won't change that. In fact, it would probably confuse the ED staff even more. I think that the only way to break in to the ED or the hospital at all is through persistence and showing what you can do whenever you get a chance. Like you, I've almost given up on expecting anything from the ED.

Off topic, but maybe some of you can clear this up for me and I see we have some of the big SDN podiatry players in this thread. I constantly read on SDN and I hit these threads where podiatric residents are talking about incredible, complex cases they get to do and all of this awesome trauma, etc, and how they are basically any other physician in the hospital; they are THE foot and ankle guys/gals. My experience in shadowing has shown me the physicians I've been with are treated no differently than any other doctor. Then you have the outlook by some that make the profession look abysmal, like they're incredibly disrespected (I think putting podiatry on the same level as chiropractic is a little outrageous, in my opinion) and don't have parity nor never will. And when I read these negative posts it makes me wonder if I should have just done general med, but again I keep coming back to these podiatrist doing such great things and they love their jobs. I chose to go into podiatry because surgery is the biggest thing that has continuously excited me and podiatry fits the bill for about every aspect I like about medicine. It's a guarantee unlike if I went MD or DO, I could get stuck in FM. So what does this boil down to? I've been around medicine long enough to know some people MD, DO, RN, PA whatever it may be just hate their jobs. Is this what I'm seeing or are there other factors here at play such as geographic area, whether or not they went to a residency that allowed them to get great offers, or possibly the fact they're just a negative person. Any insight helps. Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
[…] Is this what I'm seeing or are there other factors here at play such as geographic area, whether or not they went to a residency that allowed them to get great offers, or possibly the fact they're just a negative person. Any insight helps. Thanks.
Regional variations can be significant, even between areas within states. There are some other factors in addition to those you've mentioned, such as personal connections (a big factor), practice environment (e.g., private practice versus managed care), etc.

Yea these guys are quacks looking to take advantage of the challenges facing our field. None of them graduated from US medical schools, and this just makes us look bad. There is NO way they are approved by CPME, and they could not distribute DPM degrees otherwise.

If you work hard (like appropriately hard, as in as hard as medical students work and not try to skate by into becoming a TFP), you we have a interesting and solid field where at this point you can make plenty of money over several different employment models. We don't need a quack degree to attempt to justify our position. This is a shameful and embarrassing moment for our career, but I expect it to pass. Work hard in class, on rotations, in residency, and make your own luck.

New update

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    242.4 KB · Views: 174
This is so embarrassing. I hope the TFPs just retire and stop killing our profession. They had a meeting IN MEXICO because they are trying to affiliate with a mexican medical school. This is painful to watch - I hope CPME shuts these people down immediately.

Reactions: 1 users
Also, Stan Blondeck went to "Spartan Health Sciences University" in the Caribbean. There are even states in the US where graduates of this "school" are not even allowed to practice. And the leader of this program graduated from Juarez School of Medicine. If they are allowed to proceed they will only injure the profession and the advancements we have made the last 20 years.

Off topic, but maybe some of you can clear this up for me and I see we have some of the big SDN podiatry players in this thread. I constantly read on SDN and I hit these threads where podiatric residents are talking about incredible, complex cases they get to do and all of this awesome trauma, etc, and how they are basically any other physician in the hospital; they are THE foot and ankle guys/gals. My experience in shadowing has shown me the physicians I've been with are treated no differently than any other doctor. Then you have the outlook by some that make the profession look abysmal, like they're incredibly disrespected (I think putting podiatry on the same level as chiropractic is a little outrageous, in my opinion) and don't have parity nor never will. And when I read these negative posts it makes me wonder if I should have just done general med, but again I keep coming back to these podiatrist doing such great things and they love their jobs. I chose to go into podiatry because surgery is the biggest thing that has continuously excited me and podiatry fits the bill for about every aspect I like about medicine. It's a guarantee unlike if I went MD or DO, I could get stuck in FM. So what does this boil down to? I've been around medicine long enough to know some people MD, DO, RN, PA whatever it may be just hate their jobs. Is this what I'm seeing or are there other factors here at play such as geographic area, whether or not they went to a residency that allowed them to get great offers, or possibly the fact they're just a negative person. Any insight helps. Thanks.

It's not a guarantee, but it's also not that competitive to match general surgery as a US MD/DO. If you bombed the boards and scored in the mean FM range, statistically you still have ~80% chance of matching gen surgery. Even fresh US IMG's match gen surgery at ~69% and they don't need to ace the boards either. This isn't directed to you, but i feel like many people assume (i did too) that gen surgery = competitive. It's a misconception.

In any case, it seems like you have a passion for Podiatry. You'll always see the negatives of a profession being talked about more because it's just juicier. I wouldn't get deterred by it. What ultimately matters is what you enjoy doing.

Reactions: 1 users
I hope this school gets going only to see what will ultimately be the left overs of the left overs of podiatry school applicants taking the USMLE. We aren't talking about low scores, we are talking about a group of people who are unlikely to even pass it...

The problem with podiatry is that we continually "re-invent" ourselves. It confuses the general public and other medical specialties who are still trying to understand exactly what we do.
Very true. At least I don't see this becoming a widespread thing. There have already been a few DPMs who have become MD via foreign medical schools and this will likely only lead to a few more (assuming they pass the USMLE). In any case, what is the purpose of this again? To have the new graduates continue as DPMs and practice podiatry or to become a backdoor into some other medical specialty?

Members don't see this ad :)
We are accredited for the next 7 years. Just letting everyone know :)
I don't see this school getting accreditation from either DPM or MD/DO. Doesn't matter how much money Dr. H has. The guy is an entrepreneur not a real doctor.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Looking for the above (and not finding it) did me to the below.

CPME Invites Comment on Proposal to Lift Moratorium | News | APMA Working for You | APMA

here's a taste of it:

"During its fall meeting, CPME recommended lifting the moratorium on accepting both applications for new colleges of podiatric medicine and requests for authorization to increase enrollment in accredited colleges. A public comment period is now open.

The council firmly believes that lifting the moratorium will not immediately result in any significant increase in the number of matriculated students. Lifting the moratorium does not mean that new applicant colleges would necessarily apply or that a proposed college’s accreditation is inevitable."

Hope this helps! It's from WesternU's website.

"Western University of Health Sciences is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).

The College of Podiatric Medicine has received accreditation from the Council on Podiatric Medical Education (CPME), an independent, specialized accrediting agency. The Council serves the podiatric medical profession by the authority of the American Podiatric Medical Association’s House of Delegates.

The Council has final authority for the accreditation of colleges of podiatric medicine, post graduate residency training programs, and the recognition of specialty certifying boards for podiatric medical practice. Additionally, the Council is the official body that approves post graduate podiatric medical and surgical residency training programs for the profession. The Council is recognized by the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and the US Secretary of Education as the accrediting agency for first professional degree programs in podiatric medicine."

Accredited by whom?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

WesternU

!
I'm confused. You know this thread was not about Western, it was about somebody trying to open another new school (MD, DPM) even though there has been a moratorium on opening new schools.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Hope this helps! It's from WesternU's website.

"Western University of Health Sciences is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).

The College of Podiatric Medicine has received accreditation from the Council on Podiatric Medical Education (CPME), an independent, specialized accrediting agency. The Council serves the podiatric medical profession by the authority of the American Podiatric Medical Association’s House of Delegates.

The Council has final authority for the accreditation of colleges of podiatric medicine, post graduate residency training programs, and the recognition of specialty certifying boards for podiatric medical practice. Additionally, the Council is the official body that approves post graduate podiatric medical and surgical residency training programs for the profession. The Council is recognized by the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and the US Secretary of Education as the accrediting agency for first professional degree programs in podiatric medicine."
bdvesely, This post had absolutely nothing to do with Western U accrediation but rather someone trying to start a combined dpm/md program.

Last edited:
Lifting the moratorium is fine, dumb, but fine. Hopefully they are smart enough not to actually approve a new school or larger class sizes until matriculation rates are equivalent to allopathic schools. If I remember right it's around 2.5-3 applicants per seat. Which is significantly higher than even the best year our colleges have had in recent years (I think that was around 1.5 applicants per seat).

I still think my plan or at least the thought behind it was good...so I'll sit patiently by my phone for them to call and ask for my opinion again :laugh:

We are accredited for the next 7 years. Just letting everyone know :)

Bd vesely saw "Dr. H" and assumed to was their Dean Dr. Harkless.

A lot of Western students coming on the forums to answer questions lately. Not very organic but at least they're making a presence.

Lol.... sounds like podiatry's version of Caribbean medical school

This is will ruin the "I'm at a top 9 podiatry school" thing going for me