New investor question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wanderingorion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a pretty new investor, but I have been educating myself over the past few months. I have started contributing to my Roth since last fall, and investing in some ETFs through my online broker. My current tiny balance (a little more than $200) was mostly invested in a Financial sector fund form the beginning, and I have been diversifying into different funds as I continue saving. My question is, given the potential market changes coming soon, with the very likely prime interest rate hike by the fed, should I sell my financial ETF holdings before they dip?
I'm not risk-averse or anything, due to my small balance and my age (which allows me to experiment a little as I learn), but I feel like I can read the writing on the wall for some potential changes in the market.

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
In general financials do well with an increase in interest rates --- banks make money by collecting interest on money they loan out. It's good that you are putting something away at this stage. I wouldn't get too fancy with sector funds until you have a lot more money and have learned a lot more. Best bet is to put everything into a target date retirement fund offered by your brokerage. Set it and forget it and focus on getting your MD.

Reactions: 2 users
In general financials do well with an increase in interest rates --- banks make money by collecting interest on money they loan out. It's good that you are putting something away at this stage. I wouldn't get too fancy with sector funds until you have a lot more money and have learned a lot more. Best bet is to put everything into a target date retirement fund offered by your brokerage. Set it and forget it and focus on getting your MD.
Thanks for the advice. I just finished planning out the ETFs for my portfolio I'm going to follow in the future, so I won't have to worry while I'm in school. Honestly, buying that sector fund was done somewhat on a lark when I first started, and I was wondering if now would be the best time to sell it and redistribute it to a better ETF. Unfortunately, I don't have the minimum to join a mutual fund so I'm relegated to DIY-ing.
I read that rate increases generally cause the market to dip, and financials dipped as well due to the increased cost of borrowing money from the fed. Interesting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, honestly wouldn't overthink it too much. Only $200 on the line. Fine to stay with what you have until you save enough to get the mutual fund minimum -- most target date funds have $1000 minimum. Then do that.

You can't predict the market. No one can. The sooner you learn that, the better.

It's good you are putting a few dollars away, but right now the best investments you can make are doing well in school so you can match into the specialty of your choice and minimizing debt. Live like a student now, so you can live like a doctor later.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, honestly wouldn't overthink it too much. Only $200 on the line. Fine to stay with what you have until you save enough to get the mutual fund minimum -- most target date funds have $1000 minimum. Then do that.

You can't predict the market. No one can. The sooner you learn that, the better.

It's good you are putting a few dollars away, but right now the best investments you can make are doing well in school so you can match into the specialty of your choice and minimizing debt. Live like a student now, so you can live like a doctor later.
Great, I will definitely do that. Thanks for all your help.

Thanks for the advice. I just finished planning out the ETFs for my portfolio I'm going to follow in the future, so I won't have to worry while I'm in school. Honestly, buying that sector fund was done somewhat on a lark when I first started, and I was wondering if now would be the best time to sell it and redistribute it to a better ETF. Unfortunately, I don't have the minimum to join a mutual fund so I'm relegated to DIY-ing.
I read that rate increases generally cause the market to dip, and financials dipped as well due to the increased cost of borrowing money from the fed. Interesting.

As a rule of thumb, neither you nor I know where the stock market will go 5 months from now or 5 years from now. And while you are aware that the Fed will likely be inching up interest rates in the near future, every other investor on the planet also knows that and it is already calculated into market prices. As for financial companies in particular, yes they tend to make more money when interest rates rise because the spread of interest between what they collect in loans (mortgages, etc) vs what they pay out (savings accounts, CDs) increases.

Honestly do whatever you want. It's $200. If you lose 75% of the value, you are only down $150. There is no greater teacher than losing money and if that helps you be a more disciplined investor when you have hundreds of thousands and millions on the line, then all the better. But if you want a winning strategy for the long term, pick an asset allocation you desire (stock%, bond%, whatever else) and then find a low cost way to do that.

As a rule of thumb, neither you nor I know where the stock market will go 5 months from now or 5 years from now. And while you are aware that the Fed will likely be inching up interest rates in the near future, every other investor on the planet also knows that and it is already calculated into market prices. As for financial companies in particular, yes they tend to make more money when interest rates rise because the spread of interest between what they collect in loans (mortgages, etc) vs what they pay out (savings accounts, CDs) increases.

Honestly do whatever you want. It's $200. If you lose 75% of the value, you are only down $150. There is no greater teacher than losing money and if that helps you be a more disciplined investor when you have hundreds of thousands and millions on the line, then all the better. But if you want a winning strategy for the long term, pick an asset allocation you desire (stock%, bond%, whatever else) and then find a low cost way to do that.

Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated.
I set-up my ETF portfolio plan that I will stick to in the future.
I guess my main question is how to time your buying/selling, especially in the long term.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I guess my main question is how to time your buying/selling, especially in the long term.

The answer you seek....

You time your buying by when you have money to invest, ideally regularly once per month or per quarter. You time your selling by when you are retiring and need the money.

When I say you can't predict if the market will go up or down in the short (or even medium term) I mean it. Don't try to time your buying and selling. We have investing threads on SDN from 2011 talking about the upcoming bear market and how you need to be in cash (and gold and whatever else). 6 years later the market is still chugging higher. Would you feel bad about missing out on those massive returns the last 6 years? So would I. So don't time it. Just know that it will be higher in 30 years than it is now.

The answer you seek....

You time your buying by when you have money to invest, ideally regularly once per month or per quarter. You time your selling by when you are retiring and need the money.

When I say you can't predict if the market will go up or down in the short (or even medium term) I mean it. Don't try to time your buying and selling. We have investing threads on SDN from 2011 talking about the upcoming bear market and how you need to be in cash (and gold and whatever else). 6 years later the market is still chugging higher. Would you feel bad about missing out on those massive returns the last 6 years? So would I. So don't time it. Just know that it will be higher in 30 years than it is now.

Cool, I'll do that. Thanks for the information.
Predicting the market sounds similar to predicting the weather, haha.

Doesnt matter, you wouldnt notice if that money disappeared. The best time is as mman said, all the time, never worry about valuation, etc...you will be wrong almost every time. The market will exact the most pain that can be delivered, thats what it does. Just keep plugging away at it.

Doesnt matter, you wouldnt notice if that money disappeared. The best time is as mman said, all the time, never worry about valuation, etc...you will be wrong almost every time. The market will exact the most pain that can be delivered, thats what it does. Just keep plugging away at it.

Ah, so it's a war of attrition. Good to know.

Ah, so it's a war of attrition. Good to know.

Read the hypothetical story of the world's worst market timer that only bought stocks at their absolute peak and how relatively well he did long term. It doesn't matter if you buy the day before a massive bear market begins. As long as you hold on long term, you will still do alright. If you keep buying regularly instead of only at the worst possible team, you will do even better.

Just keep telling yourself. I'm a 100% believer. I had a little bit of money at risk during the dotcom crash and I had a lot more during the mortgage crisis. Part of the reason I keep preaching the gospel is that it helps remind me of what I actually believe when the going gets tough. Stocks will go down. They will go down a lot at times. But just stay the course and don't sweat it and you will end up being just fine.

Read the hypothetical story of the world's worst market timer that only bought stocks at their absolute peak and how relatively well he did long term. It doesn't matter if you buy the day before a massive bear market begins. As long as you hold on long term, you will still do alright. If you keep buying regularly instead of only at the worst possible team, you will do even better.

Just keep telling yourself. I'm a 100% believer. I had a little bit of money at risk during the dotcom crash and I had a lot more during the mortgage crisis. Part of the reason I keep preaching the gospel is that it helps remind me of what I actually believe when the going gets tough. Stocks will go down. They will go down a lot at times. But just stay the course and don't sweat it and you will end up being just fine.

That's very reassuring. I will stay the course. And hopefully time it a little better than Bob.

Members don't see this ad :)
You may consider educating yourself on the investing strategy Trend Following. It's main tenets are: 1) Investing with the trend; 2) Ride your winners; 3) Cut your losses short; 4) Manage risk of loss; 5) Ignore the news and fundamentals.

There is approximately zero chance you just decided to register at SDN today because you are a med student, future med student, or resident or attending, and thought your very first post should be offering this not very good financial advice.

Short-Term Investing? That's an oxymoron if ever there was one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
There is approximately zero chance you just decided to register at SDN today because you are a med student, future med student, or resident or attending, and thought your very first post should be offering this not very good financial advice.

Short-Term Investing? That's an oxymoron if ever there was one.
Thanks for keeping an eye out.

I wonder what part of my message you hold as "not very good financial advice". You may consider presenting the core principles of trend following like I do above to a financial professional and see what feedback you get. My gut tells me you'd be hard pressed to find an advisor or money manager who believes the following are good sound practices 1) trading against the trend; 2) cutting profits short; 3) letting your losing investments get bigger and even add to them; 4) to not manage risk and 5) get your investment ideas from financial media.

you are a spammer trying to get hits on your website and let the record show that the most successful investors in the world including Warren Buffett disagree with points 1, 2, and 3.

There is so much spam in this thread now that the targeted ads at the bottom of my page are for mac and cheese, and poi.

You may consider educating yourself on the investing strategy Trend Following. It's main tenets are: 1) Investing with the trend; 2) Ride your winners; 3) Cut your losses short; 4) Manage risk of loss; 5) Ignore the news and fundamentals.

For simple timing techniques, check out this article <deleted>

Posting to basically advertise your own personal site is against the ToS.

All else the same, prices are inversely related to interest rates. This is crux of the saying that a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow. Familiarizing yourself with some basic time value of money equations might be helpful to internalize that idea.

The fed choking off the cheap money supply can definitely cause a market pullback and lead to things slowing down (which is probably the medicine we've needed for a long time after the last several years of cheap money and market growth that many companies never actually grew into). I wouldn't be too concerned with trying to time the market. That's a great way to rack up transaction costs and diminish your returns. It's best to buy and sell based on whether you believe the market price of the instrument is safely lower and safely higher than the intrinsic value, respectively. Set time frames to achieve price targets and periodically review your holdings. You should pretty much only act based on material changes in the company that change your outlook for the instrument's performance. Anything else is essentially speculating/trading. Investing takes discipline and time, so don't be too concerned with pulling out of the market right now given the amount you have in. If it does tank and you think that the instrument's value hasn't declined, then maybe consider buying more. Remember that the overall system is pretty complex and it takes a pretty deep understanding to be able to understand the likely outcome of changes and it takes more understanding to adequately prepare for those situations. There's almost never a one-size-fits-all answer, but the best you can do is try to educate yourself as much as possible.

This is probably the worst advice you could give and I'm willing to bet most people who advocate not to worry about pricing and value haven't the slightest clue how to properly approach that problem and probably don't get the difference between price and value. It's certainly a garbage-in-garbage-out process, but it can help you make very good decisions in the long run.

Additionally, your buying and selling shouldn't just be based on when you have money and when you're retiring. If you talk to someone who's actually good at investing (not a typical CFP, despite what they'll try to sell, err tell you), you'll learn that time horizon has many moving parts. If you need X dollars in 3 years, for example, you probably shouldn't be putting that money in the market (anything other than cash/equivalent). If you come up with a valuation on an instrument it's based on a set of assumptions which usually play out over a time period and you should be able to say, "if I buy ABC today at z dollars/share, it should be between X and Y dollars 4 years from now." If nothing changes about those prospects as time moves on and you keep revaluing and checking your assumptions you'll have a different exit plan than someone who keeps up but notices a significant change in the instrument's (maybe the underlying company or the regulations surrounding the resource the underlying is based on).

My advice to you, OP, is to learn what you can, and definitely question all the advice you get. I would also suggest looking at some investment forums, of course with a level of skepticism as you should here.

This is probably the worst advice you could give and I'm willing to bet most people who advocate not to worry about pricing and value haven't the slightest clue how to properly approach that problem and probably don't get the difference between price and value. It's certainly a garbage-in-garbage-out process, but it can help you make very good decisions in the long run.

Warren Buffett disagrees with you. So does John Bogle. So do a host of other brilliant investors. I know all about price and value and the difference there of and I buy all kinds of individual securities with a value based approach so I am about the opposite of whatever stereotype you'd care to find. I read financial statements for quarters/years on end for companies.

My advice is not flippant or poorly thought out and contrary to what you believe, the academic evidence says it is the best advice possible.

Individual gurus will peddle their own particular variety of analysis and valuation that they use to beat the market, but really all their fees do is pad their own wallets. The evidence that they will beat the market (after fees) for a 20-30 year time run is almost nil.

On a per time basis, the most efficient way to make money long term investing is passive and low cost and putting in money on a scheduled basis. There are possibly other ways to eke out a small edge here or there, but unless you are willing to invest substantial time into it, it is really not worth it.

Last edited:
Warren Buffett disagrees with you. So does John Bogle. So do a host of other brilliant investors. I know all about price and value and the difference there of and I buy all kinds of individual securities with a value based approach so I am about the opposite of whatever stereotype you'd care to find. I read financial statements for quarters/years on end for companies.
Warren Buffett has been known to say, more or less, that valuation doesn't need to be complex and crazy, as many would like to believe. He certainly does look at value-- the whole idea behind his purchasing is to find instruments that are undervalued by the market (aside from the fact that he essentially has enough ownership to control or heavily influence the companies). This is where the phrase "margin of safety" came from.
Warren Buffett's Formula For Valuing All Assets
Warren Buffett's "Two-Column Valuation Method"
A quick google search of "Warren Buffett valuation" will show you that he most certainly does use valuations in his decisions. Do you think these guys just eyeball a company and say "I like it"? He's also said to be wary of times when the market is overdone, but this is different from him saying that valuations are irrelevant.

My advice is not flippant or poorly thought out and contrary to what you believe, the academic evidence says it is the best advice possible.
Your advice was to ignore valuation. That is absolutely foolish and the academic methods of valuation, which are based on the research you're talking about, or some variation thereof, are often used in the real world. Also, feel free to post some papers that say that valuation methods are useless and what the proposed alternative is (because that really just leaves eyeballing, random selection, and speculation/trading which is more based on momentum and market sentiment, more commonly).

Individual gurus will peddle their own particular variety of analysis and valuation that they use to beat the market, but really all their fees do is pad their own wallets. The evidence that they will beat the market (after fees) for a 20-30 year time run is almost nil.
No one is disagreeing with this. Risk adjusted returns are often worse off for active investors, even the best, than those who use passive investment strategies with low costs. I consistently tell people to avoid "finance professionals" such as CFPs and the like because more often than not, these guys don't know what they're doing but get paid well for understanding the basics of what you're saying or by pushing what the research team has recommended. I know this from personal experience working in the industry. Half the credentials are garbage,with a select few, such as the CFA designation, requiring a long period of study and formal, qualified work experience. Even so, not everyone with the designation is worth putting your money with.

On a per time basis, the most efficient way to make money long term investing is passive and low cost and putting in money on a scheduled basis. There are possibly other ways to eke out a small edge here or there, but unless you are willing to invest substantial time into it, it is really not worth it.
No one is arguing that passive investing with low fees is the most efficient method of investing. The reason that puting money in on a schedule works well is that it's incredibly hard to time the market and it keeps people on an emotionless track, rather than investing when they "feel" the time is right. It's a disciplined system which is incredibly beneficial. It prevents people from pulling their money out after a loss and increases the chances of making back what you put in before a draw down, on average. You're telling people that valuation is irrelevant or should be ignored, which is the part I'm disagreeing with, as do the people you mentioned in your post. If it's really irrelevant, tell me then, how do the fund managers and their analysts (or Warren Buffett, for example) decide to include securities in the basket for a fund? Are you advocating eyeballing and saying "yes I like it, it must be a winner!"? Just because your process of selecting a fund is relatively minimal, doesn't mean that those funds that perform well weren't constructed off of valuation methods. There is research that indicates that it is hard to beat the market consistently, but getting the market return does require smart decisions. It's not like these people throw darts at a board and decide what securities to invest in.

I don't even know where to respond. Warren Buffett's advice to investors is to put money in a low cost index fund on a regular basis. That's really it. He has repeated that advice more times than I can count. His advice is to ignore valuation when making that decision. If you'd care to argue with him, please feel free. I've read everything from Ben Graham on up (including Security Analysis from cover to cover several times) so I'm quite familiar with valuation.

If you disagree with the best academic advice for investors, please provide some peer reviewed studies suggesting investors do better by some other methodology.

However, these people are busy doctors with high income and the ability to put large sums away each month. The only thing they need to do is not mess it up. Just plugging away will on average smoke any timing method in actual practice. There are tons of ways to show a beneficial system, but most people wont stick to it through its completely predictable and within expected range draw downs. The more busy people mess with their portfolio the more likely they are to take value away rather than add it.

Fund managers, active investors etc...have shown by a large proportion, overwhelmingly you might say, that they cant beat their benchmarks. Thats before accounting for time, effort and such. Unless you have an identifiable edge, and value isnt one since everyone can put the same screens or calculations through an excel sheet, then indexing is the best evidenced way to come out. You'll buy at high value, low value and everywhere in between.

I don't even know where to respond. Warren Buffett's advice to investors is to put money in a low cost index fund on a regular basis. That's really it. He has repeated that advice more times than I can count. His advice is to ignore valuation when making that decision. If you'd care to argue with him, please feel free. I've read everything from Ben Graham on up (including Security Analysis from cover to cover several times) so I'm quite familiar with valuation.
You seem to be missing his point. For the person who hasn't the time nor the background the absolute best decision is to do something rather than nothing-- just put money in consistently overtime into low cost instruments. No one is disagreeing with that. What I'm saying isn't disagreeing with Warren Buffet-- the man uses valuation techniques to make his decisions (I asked you what he, or any of the other successful investors, do if not valuation...I don't think they throw darts at a board). I've been saying that valuation is absolutely important. It might not make sense for someone with limited time and background to attempt to do a valuation, but you can bet your life that the fund they're buying into has used valuation techniques, barring any funds that mimic something else, like an index fund. I understand you've read a few books, and that's great (no sarcasm). I read a couple of those recommended books also (I was in finance for school and work before medicine, so neither of us are talking out of our ass). I can tell you that most of those books are pretty rudimentary and are geared towards people without backgrounds in finance and investing (which is a good thing). That was one of the purposes of the books-- to make this seemingly complex mumbo jumbo become accessible and understandable for most people, because there isn't any reason someone shouldn't be able to build wealth for themselves. (Also, I'm not knocking those books, I recommend them to other people quite frequently...I was disappointed I had made it through my programs without having read The Intelligent Investor since it's quite popular.)

If you disagree with the best academic advice for investors, please provide some peer reviewed studies suggesting investors do better by some other methodology.
You're the one who implied you had research to suggest that valuation is irrelevant and that someone trying it would be wrong nearly every time (much different than Warren Buffett's advice that you're mentioning now). So, I'll say again, valuation might not be a practical consideration for the average person, but it is far from irrelevant or going to lead someone with the right skills to wrong decisions "nearly all the time". I'm not arguing that passive investing in low cost vehicles isn't a good strategy. I'm saying that valuation isn't irrelevant as you suggested. You keep mentioning academic research, so I'm not sure why you're trying to move that burden of proof to me. And again, the point you're missing is that many of the funds people passively invest in are composed of securities that research teams put a ton of work into analyzing and valuing. So the end user might not be doing the valuation, but someone is (again barring things like index funds, which often perform well).

So I went back and read some of your posts, and like I said, I don't disagree with most of what you're saying. Plastikos did say valuation (as per your advice) would nearly always lead you astray, which is what I said was terrible advice. Although your initial posts seemed to be more about timing the marking (or the idea to avoid that, which I generally agree with, except when there's blood in the streets it's time to buy...that whole thing...), however you seemed to take the defensive of the point that valuation will lead you astray. If we've gotten mixed up here, I understand, but it seemed an awful lot like you took that stance that Plastikos ascribed to you, especially since you didn't initially point it out to me that I was arguing something you hadn't directly said. In either case, I stand by what I was saying: valuation is absolutely relevant and doesn't lead people astray "most of the time" if they know what they are doing. Warren Buffett does this himself, but of course, most people don't know what they are doing, and I agree with his advice that you've been mentioning (although we can note his style of investing is much different than the average investor-- people try to pull a fast one and say diversification is a myth since Buffett is so concentrated, yet they miss the point that he owns much larger amounts of outstanding shares that he can effectively make the business run as he wants).

Edited to remove something that was meant for perspective but could sound douche-esque, which isn't my intent :)

However, these people are busy doctors with high income and the ability to put large sums away each month. The only thing they need to do is not mess it up. Just plugging away will on average smoke any timing method in actual practice. There are tons of ways to show a beneficial system, but most people wont stick to it through its completely predictable and within expected range draw downs. The more busy people mess with their portfolio the more likely they are to take value away rather than add it.

Fund managers, active investors etc...have shown by a large proportion, overwhelmingly you might say, that they cant beat their benchmarks. Thats before accounting for time, effort and such. Unless you have an identifiable edge, and value isnt one since everyone can put the same screens or calculations through an excel sheet, then indexing is the best evidenced way to come out. You'll buy at high value, low value and everywhere in between.
Timing and valuations are related but different concepts. Timing gets more speculative and related more to trading where valuation is more aligned with investing. You're making the case I was talking about-- valuation isn't just using filters on yahoo finance or whatever (it's not easy, though, in either case to come up with a real winner nowadays). I'm talking about someone going through financials, making appropriate adjustments, reading through the commentary and notes to determine if classifications and assumptions used in the statements were appropriate, possibly using some sort of financial modeling over a short horizon using different sets of assumptions, which then may or may not be adjusted to cash although it probably should be, and then using a range of discount rates and adjustments to shares outstanding to come up with a per-share range of intrinsic value to determine if you want to buy or not. This is incredibly different from applying preset filters on numbers that the company prepared within a wide latitude of US GAAP or IFRS. It does take background to do, and many funds to it to construct passive funds. Passive vs. active isn't really all-or-none, but there are definitely passive investments that required some work to come up with a fund. There are varying degrees of success with different methods, and often more complex is not better. From what I recall reading at one point, Warren Buffett basically uses (or used) a couple sheets of paper on a notepad with a few years of financial statements for certain companies.

You seem to be missing his point. For the person who hasn't the time nor the background the absolute best decision is to do something rather than nothing-- just put money in consistently overtime into low cost instruments. No one is disagreeing with that. What I'm saying isn't disagreeing with Warren Buffet-- the man uses valuation techniques to make his decisions (I asked you what he, or any of the other successful investors, do if not valuation...I don't think they throw darts at a board). I've been saying that valuation is absolutely important. It might not make sense for someone with limited time and background to attempt to do a valuation, but you can bet your life that the fund they're buying into has used valuation techniques, barring any funds that mimic something else, like an index fund. I understand you've read a few books, and that's great (no sarcasm). I read a couple of those recommended books also (I was in finance for school and work before medicine, so neither of us are talking out of our ass). I can tell you that most of those books are pretty rudimentary and are geared towards people without backgrounds in finance and investing (which is a good thing). That was one of the purposes of the books-- to make this seemingly complex mumbo jumbo become accessible and understandable for most people, because there isn't any reason someone shouldn't be able to build wealth for themselves. (Also, I'm not knocking those books, I recommend them to other people quite frequently...I was disappointed I had made it through my programs without having read The Intelligent Investor since it's quite popular.)

You're the one who implied you had research to suggest that valuation is irrelevant and that someone trying it would be wrong nearly every time (much different than Warren Buffett's advice that you're mentioning now). So, I'll say again, valuation might not be a practical consideration for the average person, but it is far from irrelevant or going to lead someone with the right skills to wrong decisions "nearly all the time". I'm not arguing that passive investing in low cost vehicles isn't a good strategy. I'm saying that valuation isn't irrelevant as you suggested. You keep mentioning academic research, so I'm not sure why you're trying to move that burden of proof to me. And again, the point you're missing is that many of the funds people passively invest in are composed of securities that research teams put a ton of work into analyzing and valuing. So the end user might not be doing the valuation, but someone is (again barring things like index funds, which often perform well).

So I went back and read some of your posts, and like I said, I don't disagree with most of what you're saying. Plastikos did say valuation (as per your advice) would nearly always lead you astray, which is what I said was terrible advice. Although your initial posts seemed to be more about timing the marking (or the idea to avoid that, which I generally agree with, except when there's blood in the streets it's time to buy...that whole thing...), however you seemed to take the defensive of the point that valuation will lead you astray. If we've gotten mixed up here, I understand, but it seemed an awful lot like you took that stance that Plastikos ascribed to you, especially since you didn't initially point it out to me that I was arguing something you hadn't directly said. In either case, I stand by what I was saying: valuation is absolutely relevant and doesn't lead people astray "most of the time" if they know what they are doing. Warren Buffett does this himself, but of course, most people don't know what they are doing, and I agree with his advice that you've been mentioning (although we can note his style of investing is much different than the average investor-- people try to pull a fast one and say diversification is a myth since Buffett is so concentrated, yet they miss the point that he owns much larger amounts of outstanding shares that he can effectively make the business run as he wants).

Edited to remove something that was meant for perspective but could sound douche-esque, which isn't my intent :)

I'm not sure if you even have a point to make other than to say "valuation matters" in a long round about way. What I will say is that it doesn't matter to what the average investor should take in terms of actions with their retirement investing. Even Shiller who comes up with CAPE as a bastardized version of what Ben Graham used to do is only guesstimating at future returns of one class of assets, it isn't telling you what to do in terms of other assets, just pointing out that your expected returns in one class might be lower (or higher).

There is a difference between saying "valuation matters" and having it be some actionable and usable piece of knowledge an investor can acquire that will allow them to have superior investment returns over time. And yes, I've done more than "read a few books". I have other initials after my name other than just MD, I just choose not to be a nurse and put them all on my business card at once.

I'm not sure if you even have a point to make other than to say "valuation matters" in a long round about way. What I will say is that it doesn't matter to what the average investor should take in terms of actions with their retirement investing. Even Shiller who comes up with CAPE as a bastardized version of what Ben Graham used to do is only guesstimating at future returns of one class of assets, it isn't telling you what to do in terms of other assets, just pointing out that your expected returns in one class might be lower (or higher).

There is a difference between saying "valuation matters" and having it be some actionable and usable piece of knowledge an investor can acquire that will allow them to have superior investment returns over time. And yes, I've done more than "read a few books". I have other initials after my name other than just MD, I just choose not to be a nurse and put them all on my business card at once.
I may be saying things in a round about way, I tend to find side notes interesting in a discussion. You took a defensive stance on the statement that "valuation doesn't matter and will lead people astray nearly every time." That just isn't true, which is what I was saying. But now you keep jumping back to something that I've explicitly said I agree with, rather than defending what it was you initially took issue with when I said it's bs to tell someone valuation doesn't matter and will lead them astray every time. I know several people who do some sort of valuation, either for their work or managing their own money, and they do (and have done) pretty darn well. They all seem to have a good background and a lot of experience so I'd hardly call them the typical person, but this started as knowledge and skills they acquired (as you mentioned).

If you have a background in finance beyond reading books, then I'd imagine you wouldn't have an issue agreeing with what I've been saying: if someone doesn't have time or the knowledge, it's absolutely best to make an affordable schedule to make investments over time, but if they have the time and knowledge, it's rubbish to say valuation doesn't matter and will lead them astray with a high frequency. I also wasn't knocking your (or anyone) decision to read books, so I apologize if it came off that way.

We all told the OP not to worry about trying to sell off before a pull back or buy before a surge, but the OP did say he was trying to learn about investment decisions, which seemed to be a little more than "I don't have time to learn so how can I prepare for the future?"

I may be saying things in a round about way, I tend to find side notes interesting in a discussion. You took a defensive stance on the statement that "valuation doesn't matter and will lead people astray nearly every time." That just isn't true, which is what I was saying. But now you keep jumping back to something that I've explicitly said I agree with, rather than defending what it was you initially took issue with when I said it's bs to tell someone valuation doesn't matter and will lead them astray every time. I know several people who do some sort of valuation, either for their work or managing their own money, and they do (and have done) pretty darn well. They all seem to have a good background and a lot of experience so I'd hardly call them the typical person, but this started as knowledge and skills they acquired (as you mentioned).

If you have a background in finance beyond reading books, then I'd imagine you wouldn't have an issue agreeing with what I've been saying: if someone doesn't have time or the knowledge, it's absolutely best to make an affordable schedule to make investments over time, but if they have the time and knowledge, it's rubbish to say valuation doesn't matter and will lead them astray with a high frequency. I also wasn't knocking your (or anyone) decision to read books, so I apologize if it came off that way.

We all told the OP not to worry about trying to sell off before a pull back or buy before a surge, but the OP did say he was trying to learn about investment decisions, which seemed to be a little more than "I don't have time to learn so how can I prepare for the future?"

Most docs do not have the time to really learn though, and even worse most cannot care enough. Obviously valuation matters, however the difficulty is its a poor predictor of timing in the short to intermediate term. There have been people screaming valuation since 2009, and more often than not it will keep people out of the market to their financial detriment. So, all in all, its not a very solid or useful tool for the average person and certainly not a doctor.

Further, every situation and market is different and whats overvalued in one market is cheap in another. Rates, growth, etc...all matter and many times people anchor to some past number they started with, instead of adjusting their priors. Its difficult and again, doctors have already won with high incomes so they only need to blindly toss it into an allocation they are comfortable with and theyll do fine. Some of us do more, but whats fine for a select few and whats advice in general are two very different things.

Most docs do not have the time to really learn though, and even worse most cannot care enough. Obviously valuation matters, however the difficulty is its a poor predictor of timing in the short to intermediate term. There have been people screaming valuation since 2009, and more often than not it will keep people out of the market to their financial detriment. So, all in all, its not a very solid or useful tool for the average person and certainly not a doctor.

Further, every situation and market is different and whats overvalued in one market is cheap in another. Rates, growth, etc...all matter and many times people anchor to some past number they started with, instead of adjusting their priors. Its difficult and again, doctors have already won with high incomes so they only need to blindly toss it into an allocation they are comfortable with and theyll do fine. Some of us do more, but whats fine for a select few and whats advice in general are two very different things.
Valuation and timing aren't really the same thing. The statement you made was more of a blanket without any qualifiers that it will lead someone wrong if they use it. Now, you are pulling back to more general advice which I agree with.

It doesn't really seem like any of us three are disagreeing on anything at this point since it looks like we're on the same page about valuation being important but people without time to learn or without prior background are better off doing something rather than nothing, and people, both with and without a background, shouldn't really be trying to time the market.

This is a thread for investment advice for a new investor and probably applicable to a majority of investors. If you want to get on a side track of advice that is not applicable to that group of people, you should perhaps start a different thread.

Does valuation matter? In some sense yes. In the idea that your new or average investor should make a decision based upon that? Not nearly so much. But saying of course valuation matters it just shouldn't influence what you do is sort of counter productive.

This is a thread for investment advice for a new investor and probably applicable to a majority of investors. If you want to get on a side track of advice that is not applicable to that group of people, you should perhaps start a different thread.

Does valuation matter? In some sense yes. In the idea that your new or average investor should make a decision based upon that? Not nearly so much. But saying of course valuation matters it just shouldn't influence what you do is sort of counter productive.
I advocated against making the blanket statement that was made and that you seemed to defend and have yet to say you weren't defending. It's also silly to assume that anyone, irrespective of how new they are, has the same goals. I have a few friends who started learning about investing during medical school and have taken a much more active role in learning than your post seems to indicate. It all depends on someones goals and how much they can put into it (it's not counterproductive in most cases I know of, as many of these people ended up doing some of these things on their own with varying degrees of success, of course). I could start a new thread, but it didn't seem worth it to point out that a blanket statement of "valuation should be ignored it leads people wrong all the time" is not correct. The OP was more getting into a discussion of market timing by saying he thinks things will dip, so he wants to try selling before the dip. That's much more an issue of timing than valuation.

Again, it doesn't seem like we disagree on most of these things, but for some reason I'm the only one saying that we agree. If you get around to it, I'd be curious to see the academic research you mentioned that would support valuation leading people astray "nearly always". If not, I'll probably stop replying as this is going in circles and no one is disagreeing on much.

I advocated against making the blanket statement that was made and that you seemed to defend and have yet to say you weren't defending. It's also silly to assume that anyone, irrespective of how new they are, has the same goals. I have a few friends who started learning about investing during medical school and have taken a much more active role in learning than your post seems to indicate. It all depends on someones goals and how much they can put into it (it's not counterproductive in most cases I know of, as many of these people ended up doing some of these things on their own with varying degrees of success, of course). I could start a new thread, but it didn't seem worth it to point out that a blanket statement of "valuation should be ignored it leads people wrong all the time" is not correct. The OP was more getting into a discussion of market timing by saying he thinks things will dip, so he wants to try selling before the dip. That's much more an issue of timing than valuation.

Again, it doesn't seem like we disagree on most of these things, but for some reason I'm the only one saying that we agree. If you get around to it, I'd be curious to see the academic research you mentioned that would support valuation leading people astray "nearly always". If not, I'll probably stop replying as this is going in circles and no one is disagreeing on much.

That's all fine. I have a major issue with what someone does for themselves and what they suggest as advice to others. Kind of like a fiduciary standard.

The phrase "valuation doesn't matter" can validly apply as advice to what an investor should do in terms of asset allocation/timing at the same time that "valuation does matter" can apply to what expected returns are. The relevant point is what point you are trying to make.

Valuation doesn't matter, at least as far as any decision the OP needs to make is concerned. Yes, professional investors like Warren Buffett may be able to make better returns by recognizing acquiring an undervalued asset and selling it later for a gain. This is basically impossible for your average investor. The market is very efficiently priced in this day and age, which is the factor that simultaneously allows you to be successful with index investing and makes it very difficult to successfully and consistently value invest (at least with individual securities). Achieving the market return does not require special knowledge or decisions. You just have to buy a low fee index fund that tracks the market. Warren Buffett basically recommends the same to the average investor.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone,

I'm a pretty new investor, but I have been educating myself over the past few months. I have started contributing to my Roth since last fall, and investing in some ETFs through my online broker. My current tiny balance (a little more than $200) was mostly invested in a Financial sector fund form the beginning, and I have been diversifying into different funds as I continue saving. My question is, given the potential market changes coming soon, with the very likely prime interest rate hike by the fed, should I sell my financial ETF holdings before they dip?
I'm not risk-averse or anything, due to my small balance and my age (which allows me to experiment a little as I learn), but I feel like I can read the writing on the wall for some potential changes in the market.

Thanks for the help!

Two thoughts:

1. The financial sector generally benefits from rising interest rates.
  2. Time in the market is far more important than timing the market.

OP, do you want financial advice for investing going forward or were you just trying to get a "hot tip" to sell or buy stocks?

OP, do you want financial advice for investing going forward or were you just trying to get a "hot tip" to sell or buy stocks?
When I posted this 3 months ago, I was pretty new to the game. I had only bought a few shares of the Financials index fund, and was wondering what to do with it as the price fluctuated.
I've since developed a portfolio allocation that I'm happy with, and am working on saving the minimum for a Vanguard fund.

This thread makes me chuckle, seeing how my question was pretty silly to begin with, haha

When I posted this 3 months ago, I was pretty new to the game. I had only bought a few shares of the Financials index fund, and was wondering what to do with it as the price fluctuated.
I've since developed a portfolio allocation that I'm happy with, and am working on saving the minimum for a Vanguard fund.

This thread makes me chuckle, seeing how my question was pretty silly to begin with, haha

Keep up the saving and the learning and invest wisely. I can assure you that some years your investments will do well, some they will do poorly, but in the end you should do just fine. I would also suggest keeping accurate records of deposit dates so that over time you can calculate accurate rates of return for your portfolio to compare to a benchmark. I prefer the bogleheads spreadsheet for calculating rates of return for my portfolio over time. I actually keep 2 versions of it updated monthly: one for my 401K which is purely passive index funds at an allocation that gets tweaked infrequently and a separate one for my taxable account that includes individual stock purchases. I find it useful and informative to keep an accurate record of performance year after year that I can compare to benchmarks to make sure I am not doing worse than I should be (and am hopefully exceeding with my taxable account).

Everybody thinks they are the best, but honest records can help you make an honest determination for yourself.

Reactions: 3 users
That's all fine. I have a major issue with what someone does for themselves and what they suggest as advice to others. Kind of like a fiduciary standard.
If you'd prefer clarification I practice what I preach when I'm purchasing individuals securities.

The phrase "valuation doesn't matter" can validly apply as advice to what an investor should do in terms of asset allocation/timing at the same time that "valuation does matter" can apply to what expected returns are. The relevant point is what point you are trying to make.
My main issue is that blanket statements can lead people astray, particularly when they don't have subject matter knowledge. For someone buying index funds, sure, disregard valuation can be a rule of thumb for many people. When these people take the "valuation doesn't matter" mindset and start buying individual securities, it starts to matter a lot more in the sense that you better have a well thought out and researched position for buying something instead of a "valuation doesn't matter" attitude. Purchasing individual securities is different from buying into a diversified fund.

If you'd prefer clarification I practice what I preach when I'm purchasing individuals securities.

My main issue is that blanket statements can lead people astray, particularly when they don't have subject matter knowledge. For someone buying index funds, sure, disregard valuation can be a rule of thumb for many people. When these people take the "valuation doesn't matter" mindset and start buying individual securities, it starts to matter a lot more in the sense that you better have a well thought out and researched position for buying something instead of a "valuation doesn't matter" attitude. Purchasing individual securities is different from buying into a diversified fund.

You do know thats the opposite of his point right? I mean I trade volatility but would never say that is a great idea for a general investor just looking to save for retirement, its about whats appropriate for the majority who do things normally, not the exception cases.

Also, no one would make the logic leap you propose, as buying individual securities assumes a lot more thinking involved. However, similar premise still stands, their valuation if you feel they will grow, etc...wont matter as its highly unlikely they will be less expensive in 30 years than today. But obviously.

I'm not sure you get it. I'm saying do whatever you want, but don't preach things to other investors (particularly new ones) that can severely lead them astray beyond what academic research shows is their single best way to win long term (consistently buying and holding low cost funds).

I'm happy for you to personally do whatever you want with your money. Knock yourself out. But your advice to new investors is borderline terrible. On the other hand I'm glad you don't want people rushing out and buying whatever individual security they want whenever they want (because valuations don't matter or whatever), because I don't either and have never made a single post that would suggest that and have made dozens of posts calling it a bad idea.

Also, no one would make the logic leap you propose, as buying individual securities assumes a lot more thinking involved.
Having worked in the industry, I can assure you that leap of logic is made frequently by inexperienced or ignorant people. I've personally talked with people, from individual investors to "qualified" CFP's and whoever, who've made decisions to purchase single securities with nothing more than the notion that "the market always trends up, so that other stuff doesn't matter."

I'm not sure you get it. I'm saying do whatever you want, but don't preach things to other investors (particularly new ones) that can severely lead them astray beyond what academic research shows is their single best way to win long term (consistently buying and holding low cost funds).
Again, the argument has never been whether or not buying and holding low cost funds is a winning strategy, but one of you in this thread kept insisting that there's tons of "academic research to show that valuation will almost always lead someone astray." I don't remember who in here said it, and I'm too lazy to scroll up, but I'm still waiting on that research-- which is quite different research from what you just mentioned. The OP seemed to be interested in learning, so if you re read any of the previous posts, you'd see I never told him to jump in with real money and start doing this stuff. As with anything, you learn by doing, but the good thing with investing and trading is you can get a dry run without cash if you literally do everything the same with the exception of purchasing the security (obviously the game changes when you do put money in, but these paper portfolios are still useful when learning). If you can find where I told OP to go ahead and start using this while using real money, I can agree with your statement. It's more likely you'll notice that this turned into a side argument which was tangentially related to the OP. You made some claims about Buffett, I showed you contradictory articles which you ignored.

But your advice to new investors is borderline terrible.
I'm fortunate enough that I have more than one person reviewing my "advice", then, over the internet no less!

You may want to reread-- my "advice" was more directly commenting on a statement that valuation doesn't matter in general- which again, isn't true. I wasn't advising the OP as much as I was saying your statement should be qualified to mention that valuation can be important but frequently isn't appropriate for many investors due to time and experience constraints.

You claimed to have "academic research to show that valuation leads people astray nearly every time." I'm still waiting for you to post up those papers you have stockpiled away that back up that specific claim.

On the other hand I'm glad you don't want people rushing out and buying whatever individual security they want whenever they want (because valuations don't matter or whatever), because I don't either and have never made a single post that would suggest that and have made dozens of posts calling it a bad idea.
Again, I've talked to people who have purchased individual securities on the basis that "valuation doesn't matter" or "the market always goes up over time." Both are silly reasons, and one directly contradicts the idea that new investors (at least) can't fall prey to that.

Again, the argument has never been whether or not buying and holding low cost funds is a winning strategy, but one of you in this thread kept insisting that there's tons of "academic research to show that valuation will almost always lead someone astray." I don't remember who in here said it, and I'm too lazy to scroll up, but I'm still waiting on that research-- which is quite different research from what you just mentioned. The OP seemed to be interested in learning, so if you re read any of the previous posts, you'd see I never told him to jump in with real money and start doing this stuff. As with anything, you learn by doing, but the good thing with investing and trading is you can get a dry run without cash if you literally do everything the same with the exception of purchasing the security (obviously the game changes when you do put money in, but these paper portfolios are still useful when learning). If you can find where I told OP to go ahead and start using this while using real money, I can agree with your statement. It's more likely you'll notice that this turned into a side argument which was tangentially related to the OP. You made some claims about Buffett, I showed you contradictory articles which you ignored.

I'm fortunate enough that I have more than one person reviewing my advice, then, over the internet no less!

You may want to reread-- my "advice" was more directly commenting on a statement that valuation doesn't matter in general- which again, isn't true. I wasn't advising the OP as much as I was saying your statement should be qualified to mention that valuation can be important but frequently isn't appropriate for many investors due to time and experience constraints.

You claimed to have "academic research to show that valuation leads people astray nearly every time." I'm still waiting for you to post up those papers you have stockpiled away that back up that specific claim.

Again, I've talked to people who have purchased individual securities on the basis that "valuation doesn't matter" or "the market always goes up over time." Both are silly reasons, and one directly contradicts the idea that new investors (at least) can't fall prey to that.

you should probably avoid posting advice to new investors

you should probably avoid posting advice to new investors
You're right, and since you're the finance guru on the forum, can you please share with us that academic research you kept mentioning?

I'm really interested to see it now that you've mentioned it several times.

Remember, you claimed the "tons of research" shows that valuation will "nearly always" lead people down the wrong path.

I'll check back in to see what you come up with, although it shouldn't take long if you've got it...

You're right, and since you're the finance guru on the forum, can you please share with us that academic research you kept mentioning?

I'm really interested to see it now that you've mentioned it several times.

Remember, you claimed the "tons of research" shows that valuation will "nearly always" lead people down the wrong path.

I'll check back in to see what you come up with, although it shouldn't take long if you've got it...

OK, since you provide nothing I will get back to you. Take me a little bit since I'm not going to scan physical books and journals for you. If you'd also like I can provide some evidence that oxygen is important to your body as well. But I'm no finance guru, just an educated an investor that counsels beginners to keep it simple.

But what would you like evidence about? That low cost index funds provide superior returns to actively managed funds? That investors should not use market timing (or valuation) to time their purchases of those funds? Since you want to know, I just want to know what to provide you with because you seem to want to argue about buying individual stocks and how to best do so where as I'm trying to discuss something entirely different.

Last edited:
OK, since you provide nothing I will get back to you. Take me a little bit since I'm not going to scan physical books and journals for you. If you'd also like I can provide some evidence that oxygen is important to your body as well. But I'm no finance guru, just an educated an investor that counsels beginners to keep it simple.
I provided links to support that Warren Buffett does see a place for valuation, which was contrary to an argument posed in the thread. What else is there for me to provide? You made a specific claim that [valuation will almost always lead investors astray], and you said there was tons of research to support this. It sounds like the burden of proof is on you. If this stuff is so abundant and published in credible academic journals, as you referenced, it shouldn't take a ton of time to find.

But what would you like evidence about?
See above. You made a claim clearly stating there is tons of academic research to show that "valuation will lead investors wrong nearly every time." This is the claim I've been asking for evidence about. You can see several place in the thread where I asked you to provide the studies that support that.

That low cost index funds provide superior returns to actively managed funds?
Nope. This wasn't the point I initially said was a bad blanket statement. Reread earlier posts if needed, but don't create strawman arguments. This isn't something in potential dispute, and I'm fairly certain I explicitly stated in an earlier post that I agreed with that idea. I've seen papers on this, just none about the specific claim you made above regarding "nearly always" leading people astray.

That investors should not use market timing (or valuation) to time their purchases of those funds?
Again, this isn't really in dispute (maybe aside from some differences between timing and valuation). There are people behind the scenes doing valuations for funds. On top of that, it's much trickier to value a fund than an individual security. The statement I took issue with and that you seemed to defend was a general claim that valuation will nearly always lead investors down the wrong path. Don't add qualifications now when I had previously mentioned that the unqualified statement was an issue. Again, if you reread, you'll see I distinctly said the unqualified statement was problematic. You said it wasn't, but have since added qualifications to it.

Since you want to know, I just want to know what to provide you with because you seem to want to argue about buying individual stocks and how to best do so where as I'm trying to discuss something entirely different.
Your claim: valuation will lead investors astray nearly every time (some sort of paraphrase).

You said their was tons of research to conclude this. I keep using similar phrasing about what you said or seemed to defend to make it clear what we're after here.

We got side tracked with the argument, but you'll notice most of my posts include something asking you for the abundant evidence you say you have for that claim. I'm curious to see what you come up with, and how much, if anything, is in the big name journals in academic finance (since you kept mentioning academic publications).