New Fox Show: THE RESIDENT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How do you give a 5 year old girl a potassium overdose with peds, pharmacists and nurses watching over your shoulder?

Theoretically, since she was an oncology patient, she was new diagnosis, and potassium were included in the fluids, then she went into tumor lysis, and no one paid attention to the labs. And maybe her kidneys took a bit of a hit too, worsening the problem.

The real question is why is a non-peds resident making decisions about electrolyte replacement in a pediatric oncology patient? The oncologists are super protective of their kids.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Theoretically, since she was an oncology patient, she was new diagnosis, and potassium were included in the fluids, then she went into tumor lysis, and no one paid attention to the labs. And maybe her kidneys took a bit of a hit too, worsening the problem.

The real question is why is a non-peds resident making decisions about electrolyte replacement in a pediatric oncology patient? The oncologists are super protective of their kids.
Ugh, Tumor Lysis. I'm getting flashbacks to intern year cross coverage with a heme-onc fellow who had a poor grasp of the English language, much less her own patients.

You guys are putting too much thought into this. Most medical shows have docs do everything. House was extremely guilty of this. The guy did brain surgery, and his training was in IM-ID & nephrology (yes, i've watched the show over and over again, in spite of its shortcomings enough to know his specialty by heart now)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
WOW ok as horrible as it is... you have to respect a universe where a crappy surgeon can bill 20 million dollars for appys.

I feel like the writers owe us some answers, namely:
-What artery did they hit??
-How long did they stand there talking about family history while the appendiceal artery (presumably) leaked 3cc per heart beat?
-Was this a retroperitoneal approach? Was he carving the appy out with the scalpel?

And a couple other things that the general public should know before watching this:
-Residents hit "an artery" all the time in surgery. u fix it. dassit
-People are exceedingly hard to kill. You almost always get 3 strikes (initial mistake, then "assuming its nothing" when u see tachycardia, then CONTINUING to miss and/or ignore the issue).

If people died everytime there was bleeding, we'd be doomed as a species b/c all of the GYNs would have murdered everyone by now.

Reactions: 32 users
WOW ok as horrible as it is... you have to respect a universe where a crappy surgeon can bill 20 million dollars for appys.

-How long did they stand there talking about family history while the appendiceal artery (presumably) leaked 3cc per heart beat?
-Was this a retroperitoneal approach? Was he carving the appy out with the scalpel?

And a couple other things that the general public should know before watching this:
-People are exceedingly hard to kill. You almost always get 3 strikes (initial mistake, then "assuming its nothing" when u see tachycardia, then CONTINUING to miss and/or ignore the issue).

If people died everytime there was bleeding, we'd be doomed as a species b/c all of the GYNs would have murdered everyone by now.

Literally laughed out loud at work

Reactions: 2 users
You'd be surprised, but you can read case reports about this kind of stuff.
Estimated range from 40K -400K in terms of preventable deaths due to medical errors. This is not an uncommon occurrence.

Screenshotted it if anyone wanted to see.
XV4d1CO.jpg

Wow, so I can be an intern with my B.A? I was thinking I might be too old to go into cardiology but this extra 4 years I'm saving changes everything!

Reactions: 1 users

I want to know how a man got an internship at the hospital with a mere Bachelor of Arts and no medical degree.

The appendix can be plastered on the iliac artery... Since so many people have asked
Leave it to God to put us in our place... I bet you were summa cum laude in Medicine at Harvard

You guys are putting too much thought into this. Most medical shows have docs do everything. House was extremely guilty of this. The guy did brain surgery, and his training was in IM-ID & nephrology (yes, i've watched the show over and over again, in spite of its shortcomings enough to know his specialty by heart now)
He had a perfect score on his MCAT, went to Hopkins for undergrad and med school, cheated and was thrown out of Mayo internship, then went to University of Michigan. He's one of those fake people I know more about than many of the real people I know.

Reactions: 6 users
Leave it to God to put us in our place... I bet you were summa cum laude in Medicine at Harvard

He has an M.D. from Harvard, is board certified in cardio-thoracic medicine and trauma surgery, has been awarded citations from seven different medical boards in New England, and is never, ever sick at sea.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
He has an M.D. from Harvard, is board certified in cardio-thoracic medicine and trauma surgery, has been awarded citations from seven different medical boards in New England, and is never, ever sick at sea.

What never??

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this but most medical shows are complete trash. Literally the only ones I enjoyed were MASH and Scrubs (which are both pure gold).

You're not alone, and I agree that Scrubs is probably one of the best medical shows ever made. I did enjoy House though. Not any of the actual medical aspects, just the random scenes when he'd have to go see patients in clinic and they always had some completely ridiculous or idiotic complaint as I've already found myself relating to how stupid some patients can be.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
(it's as bad as we thought it would be... though it may be the first show in the history of television to figure out that you can't shock asystole).

Reactions: 10 users
(it's as bad as we thought it would be... though it may be the first show in the history of television to figure out that you can't shock asystole).

Yeah... not with that attitude you can't

The funny thing is that they make Matt Czuchry's character into some sort of noble guy who's loved by everyone in the hospital despite being a dick who'd be told to STFU by everyone around him in any sort of realistic setting. Now, if they took the show and made it about an over-arrogant resident and his downfall, THAT would be a great show to watch. Unfortunately all the surrounding characters are too one dementional to do anything interesting with this.

Last edited:
"I think her heart has had enough AV blockade"....Laugh out f***ing loud. At least get the simple medicine portions right.

I think he was referencing the adenosine the other attending had said they pushed twice.

Every single episode of E.R. is now available on Hulu...... btw
didn’t (and don’t plan to) watch the resident.

Utter trash, but it will do well with the public, and their chronic distrust of the doctor.

Everywhere I've rotated, if the attending forgot to do time-out the circulating and scrub nurse would aim for his/her jugular. This is just silly.

True fact: the brilliant, cocky, handsome renegade-who-plays-by-his-own-rules character is totally based on me.

True fact: that brilliant, street-smart renegade character, the one who plays by his own rules and is also devilishly handsome to boot, is entirely based on me.
I thought this show as about this
upload_2018-1-22_19-38-40.png

OMG, Wth is this?!?
google search trends over time of the word Autism. Interesting that it is cyclical. I dont know if it is the same people trying to self diagnose every april and then near sept.
Google Trends

in all honesty I confused this show with the other show that displays an autistic doctor.

google search trends over time of the word Autism. Interesting that it is cyclical. I dont know if it is the same people trying to self diagnose every april and then near sept.
Google Trends

in all honesty I confused this show with the other show that displays an autistic doctor.

Haha I know that just found th cyclical pattern amusing!

im watching this now this resident has done enough in this episode to be thrown out of his program, have his liscence taken away be arrested and convicted-could be shortest series ever

Unrelated, The Good Doctor is growing on me. It's a trainwreck of a show, but actually has enough humor mixed it to make it surprisingly funny and not obsessed with taking itself seriously like The Resident or The Night Shift.

‘The Resident’ Consultant Under Review Amid ‘Code Black’ Sexual Harassment Claims

Twentieth Century Fox Television is reviewing a sexual-harassment claim against Zachary Lutsky, a prominent Hollywood medical consultant who currently works on Fox’s “The Resident” and was the subject of a human-resources investigation while working on ABC Studios “Code Black,” Variety has learned.

Anyone on SDN wanna take his jerb?

Sorry, my "Psychiatry residents in a windowless call room bitching about stuff" pilot is still keeping me busy.

Reactions: 4 users
Sorry, my "Psychiatry residents in a windowless call room bitching about stuff" pilot is still keeping me busy.
What do psychiatry residents even have to complain about?

Insanely bad.

- Intern without an MD but a “bachelors degree” with “summa cum laude in medicine” from Harvard
- Chief surgery resident diagnosing lupus
- General surgery residents doing robotic prostatectomies and gyn surgeries
- Chief of surgery kills someone during appendectomy then blackmails everyone into covering it up
- Chief of surgery blackmailing 2nd year nigerian resident with Visa status
- Chief resident in general surgery killing 5 year old onc patient with “too much potassium”
- Crash central line scene absurd for many reason
- Chief resident just turns off ventilator intending to euthanize patient without getting caught

One of the most absurd garbage shows I’ve ever seen.

What a real show about residency would show:
- 30 seconds of resident seeing patients, most of whom have uninteresting and highly unentertaining problems
- 5 minutes of resident rounding with long bad blubbering med student presentations, annoying platitudes from attendings, pager going off every 3 minutes for non-sense
- 5 minutes of resident answering “urgent” pages about putting in diet orders, bowel regimens, asymptomatic hypertension, escalating opioid drug orders for junkies, delirious old demented people nurses want in restraints for no reason, etc.
- 20 minutes of resident glued to a computer screen writing notes and bitching about the incompetence of the emergency department, their patients, their attendings, their residency program, the nurses, etc.
- 5 minutes of resident making crucial decisions like heparin vs. Lovenox, insulin sliding scales, doing med recs, etc.
- 10 minutes of walking around the hospital like a zombie to get coffee, food, take a piss etc.
- 5 minutes of boring noon conference lectures
- 5 minutes of resident driving home nearly falling asleep and crashing, inhaling a bunch of bad food, and collapsing in bed

Reactions: 8 users
Chief surgery resident diagnosing lupus

I STILL can't figure out if they're supposed to be med or surg residents. The first episode made me think med (not that anyone actually put thought into that).

You also forgot "PG3-ish resident able to fire intern."

Did anyone catch in the beginning where the renegade senior resident guy is berating the intern like "I see you went to Harvard and got a step 1 of 267...I got a 280"? Or did I just imagine that?

I caught that. Amazing that the greatest residents in the country go to such a crappy malignant and overworked program where the residents are expected to take on literally every role.

My favorite part was when the intern tells the nurse that he needs a new resident. Like, the nurse is gonna do the reassigning?

My other favorite parts were all of it!! It’s such a heap of flaming garbage I can’t stop watching aaa!

Also the type of visa the chief of surgery was blackmailing the hot shot Nigerian resident w is an O visa. I never heard of that but it’s reserved for people who have won the Nobel prize and stuff!! Seems like a person you’d want to keep in your program imo

Reactions: 5 users
Did anyone catch in the beginning where the renegade senior resident guy is berating the intern like "I see you went to Harvard and got a step 1 of 267...I got a 280"? Or did I just imagine that?
Oh great that's what we all need. Patients asking us about Step Scores. :rofl:

Last edited:
You people.

(thank you for this interesting consult, however, the patient is currently on pressors and intubated, so....)
Primary Diagnosis: Major Consciousness Impairment, Secondary to General Medical Condition, Unspecified

Can we talk about our favorite moments of episode 2?

Mine was when Nic chastises Dr. Pravesh (the residents introduce themselves to each other as Dr. so and so??) for not listening to a patient's heart and he says "I don't have to.. i looked at the EKG." and then he hears a murmur and then he says "how come that murmur didn't show up on his EKG??"

pure gold.

My other favorite is when the corrupt oncologist manages patients in the hospital but is able to do so with no chart in the EMR or even a trace that she was there.

My one new years wish is that this show doesn't get taken over by people who know what they're doing.

My other favorite is when the corrupt oncologist manages patients in the hospital but is able to do so with no chart in the EMR or even a trace that she was there.
To be fair, no documentation or paperwork is the dream we all dream of.

Last edited:
Wait, so you guys are telling me the events depicted in a TV Drama are not necessarily representative of the real-life environments they purport to depict? What's next, is somebody going to tell me that rather than kicking down doors and dodging bullets on a weekly basis as depicted on TV, government agents just sit in cubicles and shuffle papers while impotently texting each other how much they hate Drumpf?

Wait, so you guys are telling me the events depicted in a TV Drama are not necessarily representative of the real-life environments they purport to depict? What's next, is somebody going to tell me that rather than kicking down doors and dodging bullets on a weekly basis as depicted on TV, government agents just sit in cubicles and shuffle papers while impotently texting each other how much they hate Drumpf?
I'm gonna write a crime drama where the villain tends to escape and never be caught (at least for 2 or 3 seasons) and we just move onto the next case. That's a real plot twist

My favorite part was when the intern tells the nurse that he needs a new resident. Like, the nurse is gonna do the reassigning?

I think they hired a Phoenix Online naturopathy grad to be the principal med consultant for this show :p

What's next, is somebody going to tell me that rather than kicking down doors and dodging bullets on a weekly basis as depicted on TV, government agents just sit in cubicles and shuffle papers while impotently texting each other how much they hate Drumpf?

Drumpf is upset that FBI agents are texting amongst themselves about Drumpf --- and yet Drumpf spends most of his time in office texting on Twitter?

And they say American healthcare is dysfunctional :smack:

Nurse Nic is a Nurse practitioner. She treats the whole patient and is the moral person of the show while the doctors are Evil. AANP sponsored propaganda?