New Fox Show: THE RESIDENT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbrons

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Will this be utter trash, good propaganda, or cancelled after 4 episodes?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
I don't think a show that opens its trailer with an attending looking to force everyone present in an OR to lie about what happened to a patient is very promising personally.

Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So basically a prequel to House?
the top youtube comment lol

"
This is so edgy, a generically young good looking white guy playing a doctor. Look at him try unconventional tactics to save a persons life! And wearing street clothes instead of regular scrubs? He's so cool! He challenges authorities and gives tough love/lessons to his underlings. And though he exudes confidence and swagger he's still haunting by that one patient he couldn't save. Riveting!

"

Reactions: 53 users
So much cringe.

Besides, I doubt most laypeople even know what a resident is.

Reactions: 16 users
So much cringe.
TBF i had so much cringe watching grey's anatomy for just 1 episode. but ended up watching/binging periodically through the entire series.

these [medical] dramas have secret formulas that seem to so unexpectingly hook you, even if you lament so many aspects of the show...i guess kinda like pop music

Reactions: 6 users
Its like they took our lives and put it on TV

Reactions: 10 users
These shows to the medical community are like Tyler Perry shows/movies to the black community, a whole lot of garbage wrapped in emotion that you hate yourself for watching but can't turn away. :)

Reactions: 13 users
the top youtube comment lol

"
This is so edgy, a generically young good looking white guy playing a doctor. Look at him try unconventional tactics to save a persons life! And wearing street clothes instead of regular scrubs? He's so cool! He challenges authorities and gives tough love/lessons to his underlings. And though he exudes confidence and swagger he's still haunting by that one patient he couldn't save. Riveting!

"
They made me into a TV show? I'll await my royalties check.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just going to pretend that this is supposed to be satire. As a serious show, it's vomit inducing. As self-parody, it is brilliant.

Reactions: 5 users
I don't know, I actually thought the show looked kind of promising. Obviously everything needs to be dramatized a bit because TV shows exist to, you know, make money; but the stories can be fake while still delivering a good message.

Reactions: 1 user
No show will ever top "Do No Harm" for pure cringe. Cancelled by NBC after only 2 episodes.

Best line in the show: "I'm going to go be a doctor! It's the only thing I know how to do!"

Second best line: "I'm taking my husband to the University Hospital! I'm taking him to Drexel!"
(show was shot in the Hahnemann Hospital parking lot)

Reactions: 4 users
Hmmm let's see:

Stuffy high ranking doctor : check
"Genius" doc w/attitude problem: check
Nervous new guy: check
Hot, yet knowledgeable resident: check
Friends-esque "we love each other at the end of the day" cliche : check

I mean the factors are all there for a hit Medical drama

Reactions: 8 users
I don't even know where to start with this show...

But IF we accept the premise that the chief of surgery is comfortable covering up a patient death...we're also supposed to accept that he wouldn't torch the career of the renegade resident who doesn't follow the wheels and could blow the lid off of said coverup?
You don't get It mannnnn

The resident is a rockstar! He's too good to be fired! The attending wouldn't risk losing his career firing someone that good!

Reactions: 15 users
I vomited. Entertaining. 10/10 Would vomit again.

I actually felt embarrassed watching it.

Waiting for the next Scrubs-like show to come on. Maybe House of God style. Anything where the cast doesn't take themselves too seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

"I think her heart has had enough AV blockade"....Laugh out f***ing loud. At least get the simple medicine portions right.

Reactions: 5 users
this little trailer actually did manage to capture quite a few real aspects of the job that you don't really get until you start

of course they take every one of those real life principles and slam it into 3 minutes and add a doctor that I think is on crack

reminds me of the latest Dr. Death thread we had, the coked up neurosurgeon

the rest aside, it has elements close to life and frankly looks the most promising thing I've seen since House

(which I am currently on season 6 of my 4th rewatch)

this little trailer actually did manage to capture quite a few real aspects of the job that you don't really get until you start

of course they take every one of those real life principles and slam it into 3 minutes and add a doctor that I think is on crack

reminds me of the latest Dr. Death thread we had, the coked up neurosurgeon

the rest aside, it has elements close to life and frankly looks the most promising thing I've seen since House

(which I am currently on season 6 of my 4th rewatch)
You're joking right?

I don't even know what kind of doctor this resident is. He is watching his 'tern doing CPR on the floor of the ER one minute, he's caring for an SVT patient on the floor the next minute, and he is creeping on the surgeon in the OR the next. There is nothing real about this show. Even his "I gave her too much potassium" speech is unrealistic.

Reactions: 7 users

But IF we accept the premise that the chief of surgery is comfortable covering up a patient death...we're also supposed to accept that he wouldn't torch the career of the renegade resident who doesn't follow the wheels and could blow the lid off of said coverup?

IDK man he runs the risk of mutually assured destruction depending on the residents relationship with the people who were in that OR.

WTF artery did they hit on an appendectomy that bled that much?
How do you give a 5 year old girl a potassium overdose with peds, pharmacists and nurses watching over your shoulder?
How is SVT "too much AV blockade?"
Why are they so much less attractive than us?

Totally unrealistic IMO. :laugh:

Looks like it's shot at Rush?

Quick internet search says it's filmed in Atlanta.

Though "Chicago Med" exterior scenes are frequently shot at Rush, so who knows if they'd double up with another show. A lot of "Shameless" scenes are shot next door at UIC's med school too.

I actually felt embarrassed watching it.

Waiting for the next Scrubs-like show to come on. Maybe House of God style. Anything where the cast doesn't take themselves too seriously.

I really need to follow through on my idea for a medical drama that's mainly an hour of residents sarcastically bitching about stuff while doing paperwork in a windowless call room.

Reactions: 32 users
I like how Dr. Oz is killing people in this show.

Was this created by a medal lawyer hoping to boost his business now that House is gone?

How do you give a 5 year old girl a potassium overdose with peds, pharmacists and nurses watching over your shoulder?

Totally unrealistic IMO.
If you watch closely when they show the other resident's Harvard degree is says, "Bachelor of Arts, summa cum laude in Medicine" lmao

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

Last edited by a moderator:
If you watch closely when they show the other resident's Harvard degree is says, "Bachelor of Arts, cumma sum laude in Medicine" lmao

Screenshotted it if anyone wanted to see.
XV4d1CO.jpg

I mean, it's called the art of medicine for a reason right?

Implausible: The chief of surgery tries to cover up the death of a patient.

Also implausible: A resident fights the chief of surgery, and doesn't get fired.

Impossible: a scrub nurse putting up with any of this bull****.

Reactions: 23 users
If you watch closely when they show the other resident's Harvard degree is says, "Bachelor of Arts, cumma sum laude in Medicine" lmao

Reminds me of the Bleacher Report headline I saw this morning: Myron Rolle gets PhD in Neurosurgery"

Reactions: 9 users
So Logan left his father's business (ahem Gilmore Girls), and the Law (ahem the Good Wife), started over and went to medical school. I AM IN! LOL.

Reactions: 2 users
Based on the trailer, it seems like it's pretty shamelessly lifting from "The House of God." There's a wide-eyed intern from Harvard, who is taught to "unlearn" the things he learned in medical school by an unconventional but successful resident. Sound familiar?

Reactions: 3 users
Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this but most medical shows are complete trash. Literally the only ones I enjoyed were MASH and Scrubs (which are both pure gold).

yo where the black docs at? URM advantage my ass

You don't get It mannnnn

The resident is a rockstar! He's too good to be fired! The attending wouldn't risk losing his career firing someone that good!

A (realistic) scene from the pilot:

Associate PD: This resident is causing chaos wherever he goes in the hospital! He's out of control! He's seriously having a negative effect on our junior residents!

PD: Look, do you know what a pain in the ass it is to fire a resident? He'll be done in a year and a half and then he can take a job at some hospital in Cobb County and we'll never see him again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
maybe it takes place in an alternate USA where medical students graduate with some form of the MBBS degree.
Most ****ty alternative world where the only difference is harvard awards MBBS.

Based on the trailer, it seems like it's pretty shamelessly lifting from "The House of God." There's a wide-eyed intern from Harvard, who is taught to "unlearn" the things he learned in medical school by an unconventional but successful resident. Sound familiar?

Rebranding the House of God would be the best case scenario for this show, assuming that director knows what he is doing.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Totally unrealistic IMO. :laugh:
Every possible mistake you can think of has been made before, I promise you. Not all of them generate case reports but someone has done it before.