New Florida Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Got Em

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have info on these places? Many of their websites are still under construction or underdeveloped. I'd mainly like to know if it's a good idea for a competitive applicant to apply to these places or not even bother since they're so new. I'm pretty torn because while I'm cautious on these new programs, the locations for all of them is a big plus for me.

Aventura
FAU (Boynton Beach)
Mt. Sinai (Miami Beach) - Available to apply to on ERAS, but their curriculum stills says it's an AOA program?
Kendall Regional (Miami)
UCF (Orlando)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a current Aventura EM resident I can give you some info :)

Honestly, Aventura is awesome, I couldn't be happier here! The ED is busy with 32 beds and they are building an extension! So we'll have 60+ beds by next academic year!

The techs, nurses and PA are really friendly and helpful, they really want you to learn and be a part of the EM family. You are there to learn and you wont be busy doing scutwork. The core faculty is chill, friendly and will push you to learn. Our curriculum is open for any suggestions that helps us improved, so its very fluid and includes foamed links (videos, blogs, etc) . Wednesdays are protected for lectures and sim lab, and additionally quarterly we have grand rounds with the other EM residency from the area so you get to meet people and chill with your peeps. All the residents are from very different backgrounds and schools, most of us speak more than one language, we are a friendly outgoing open bunch of people.

Also, we are north of Miami, 20 min from South Beach and 30 min to downtown Miami, close to 2 airports. Our hospital is 1 mile from the beach!

Any specific question, just ask! You can also find more at the aventuraem.com our coordinator, APDs and PD are very responsive.

Hope to see you here. Good luck on the match!

Reactions: 1 user
As a current Aventura EM resident I can give you some info :)

Honestly, Aventura is awesome, I couldn't be happier here! The ED is busy with 32 beds and they are building an extension! So we'll have 60+ beds by next academic year!

The techs, nurses and PA are really friendly and helpful, they really want you to learn and be a part of the EM family. You are there to learn and you wont be busy doing scutwork. The core faculty is chill, friendly and will push you to learn. Our curriculum is open for any suggestions that helps us improved, so its very fluid and includes foamed links (videos, blogs, etc) . Wednesdays are protected for lectures and sim lab, and additionally quarterly we have grand rounds with the other EM residency from the area so you get to meet people and chill with your peeps. All the residents are from very different backgrounds and schools, most of us speak more than one language, we are a friendly outgoing open bunch of people.

Also, we are north of Miami, 20 min from South Beach and 30 min to downtown Miami, close to 2 airports. Our hospital is 1 mile from the beach!

Any specific question, just ask! You can also find more at the aventuraem.com our coordinator, APDs and PD are very responsive.

Hope to see you here. Good luck on the match!

Thanks for the response! Nice to hear that you're happy there. Have some more questions.

1) What is the type (9s, 10s, 12s, variable, etc) and number of shifts for each block?
2) On the website, it says the hospital is academic and community, but I couldn't find a medical school affiliation. Is this program more community based? What are the teaching opportunities here?
3) What is EM responsible for in the ED? I'm referring to stuff like ortho procedures, airway, trauma, etc.
4) Where do residents do rotations other than Aventura hospital?

Thanks!

WTF

So there's 4 new EM programs in the Miami area alone that have all opened over the past 2 years?

That's insane.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the response! Nice to hear that you're happy there. Have some more questions.

1) What is the type (9s, 10s, 12s, variable, etc) and number of shifts for each block?
2) On the website, it says the hospital is academic and community, but I couldn't find a medical school affiliation. Is this program more community based? What are the teaching opportunities here?
3) What is EM responsible for in the ED? I'm referring to stuff like ortho procedures, airway, trauma, etc.
4) Where do residents do rotations other than Aventura hospital?

Thanks!
No problem!

1. Depends on the block. If you are doing EM your average is 16 12 hrs shifts a month, when you are off service (sports med or anesthesia) you are expected to do 1-2 weekend shifts during the rotation.
2. We are affiliated with FIU. What do you mean by teaching opportunities? like teaching medical students? We have nova students now, and FIU students will be coming in October, we'll be doing more teaching with them as we get older.
3. Anything that comes to the ED is ours. We run the traumas with the trauma sx attending and our EM attending. The other residencies are IM, surgery, podiatry and anesthesia (combine with Kendall) and they don't take our ED procedures.
4. Most rotations are in Aventura, but we do peds at West Palm Beach, and we do 2 weeks of ObGyn in Kendall Regional. We all met the attendings at orientation, they are really nice.

Last edited:
Does anyone have info on these places? Many of their websites are still under construction or underdeveloped. I'd mainly like to know if it's a good idea for a competitive applicant to apply to these places or not even bother since they're so new. I'm pretty torn because while I'm cautious on these new programs, the locations for all of them is a big plus for me.

Aventura
FAU (Boynton Beach)
Mt. Sinai (Miami Beach) - Available to apply to on ERAS, but their curriculum stills says it's an AOA program?
Kendall Regional (Miami)
UCF (Orlando)

Got EM,
I am a Kendall EM resident. We are a very BUSY tertiary level 1 trauma center, burn center in the heart of Kendall. We have a 50 bed ED, including pediatrics. We see about 90,000+ patients a year. We are affiliated with FIU and we currently have medical students rotating from FIU and NOVA. All of our off service rotations are held at the facility. Our ED rotations consist of 18 - 10hr shifts plus protected time for didactics on Wednesdays 8-1p. Our core and clinical faculty consists of amazing, motivated physicians that specialize in different areas of EM. I think I speak for my entire class when I say we are more than thrilled with our program and the future it holds!
Although our website is currently under construction, we have a great deal of information posted that could answer any more of your questions!
Hope this helps !!

Www.KendallEM.com

I am a current ED resident at Kendall Regional Medical Center in Miami. We have an axillary page for the residency found at http://www.kendallem.com . It is still under construction but should have more information. Also, fellow residents should soon be available for further information.

The University of Central Florida Emergency Medicine Residency @ Osceola Regional will be interviewing for our 2nd class!
We are an academic program at a high acuity, diverse community hospital (80,000+ visits, Level 2 Trauma Center, Dedicated Peds ED, Chest Pain Center, Stroke Center, OBGYN & IM Residency). Our program directors and faculty are extremely dedicated and are specialized in various niches of EM (Simulation, Ultrasound, Informatics, Research). The resident benefits are excellent and as a new program we have brand new state-of-art facilities and equipment. We are approved for 7 residents/year.

Check out our website for more information: http://ucfemergencymedicineresidency.org
Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone help me: I am putting together my ranking order list and can't decide between Kendall and Aventura... I really enjoyed both interviews and both hospitals. What would you say is the biggest difference between them?

I am applying for Internal Medicine.

Thanks and Happy New Year

Can anyone help me: I am putting together my ranking order list and can't decide between Kendall and Aventura... I really enjoyed both interviews and both hospitals. What would you say is the biggest difference between them?

I am applying for Internal Medicine.

Thanks and Happy New Year
Then ask the guys in the IM thread? It isn't relevant here.