PhD/PsyD NEW CPLEE Exam 2015 Cut Off Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psych20133

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just called the BOP the cut off score for the CPLEE is 58 of 75 exam questions. That makes it about 77%
I hope the questions will be straight forward

Members don't see this ad.

Did you take the CPLEE? If so, did you use any study prep programs? I'm curious as to how straightforward the questions were...

Just called the BOP the cut off score for the CPLEE is 58 of 75 exam questions. That makes it about 77%
I hope the questions will be straight forward

I took it two weeks ago. The result will be in about 4 weeks. The exam was fair some questions were hard and some were fair. I used psych prep

Members don't see this ad :)
It's kind of a whimsical thought but I always wished they would do a study where they administered the EPPP to current luminaries in the field of professional psychology (e.g., David Barlow, Marsha Linehan, Steven C. Hayes?) and, just for hiccups and giggles, see where they fell out in terms of their scores compared to the average taker of the test.

Did you take the CPLEE? If so, did you use any study prep programs? I'm curious as to how straightforward the questions were...
I took it the first week of July and am waiting for the results. I called the board last week and they said they were going to mail them out at the end of July. I used both AATBS and PsychPrep because I felt the AATBS material was terrible. PsychPrep was significantly better. I used AATBS for the EPPP so I was surprised it was that bad.

I took it two weeks ago. The result will be in about 4 weeks. The exam was fair some questions were hard and some were fair. I used psych prep

Hi there, congrats on taking the test. So for the CPLEE the results are not produced on the spot? I remember for the CPSE (unfortunately I did not pass), you would get your score right after you completed the exam.

I took it the first week of July and am waiting for the results. I called the board last week and they said they were going to mail them out at the end of July. I used both AATBS and PsychPrep because I felt the AATBS material was terrible. PsychPrep was significantly better. I used AATBS for the EPPP so I was surprised it was that bad.

I just purchased the AATBS material recently, what exactly didn't you like about the material? I have study material around law and ethics from my PsychPrep CPSE study material, so I'm hoping that will cover all my bases.

I've passed! I can't believe it but I did. I thought I've failed - wow! I used the psych prep for both EPPP and CPLEE It' s the best out there.
Good luck to all of you. For those of you who took the exam in July the results are in the mail.

Hi there, congrats on taking the test. So for the CPLEE the results are not produced on the spot? I remember for the CPSE (unfortunately I did not pass), you would get your score right after you completed the exam.
I also didn't pass the CPSE. The result will be delivered on the spot moving forward. Since this is a new exam, they had to do statistical analysis to make sure the test was valid that is why we didn't get the result in the same day. Luckily I've passed this time. I'm going to celebrate. Good luck.

The questions were fair. A mix of easy and challenging. Some questions were very tricky. Overall yes you can pass it. Even though I passed I still disagree with the difficulty level of the exam. It's just an ethics exam they don't have to make is so hard on us! This test didn't make me a better psychologist unlike the EPPP which made me a better clinician.

I'm glad to hear people are passing. I'm taking it this week and there is a lot riding on my passing. I've studied PSYCHPREP and have so far met all of their "criteria" for probable passing. For those of you who passed and used psychprep, what scores were you getting on the practice exams?
Also - are they telling you on the spot now if you pass (for August) or are they still in the process of analyzing the data?

I just purchased the AATBS material recently, what exactly didn't you like about the material? I have study material around law and ethics from my PsychPrep CPSE study material, so I'm hoping that will cover all my bases.
I felt like the questions were too easy and straight forward on AATBS. The Psychprep questions were considerably more challenging and more in line with the actual questions I got on the exam. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I felt like the questions were too easy and straight forward on AATBS. The Psychprep questions were considerably more challenging and more in line with the actual questions I got on the exam. Hope this helps. Good luck!
Good luck I hope you've passed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good
I'm glad to hear people are passing. I'm taking it this week and there is a lot riding on my passing. I've studied PSYCHPREP and have so far met all of their "criteria" for probable passing. For those of you who passed and used psychprep, what scores were you getting on the practice exams?
Also - are they telling you on the spot now if you pass (for August) or are they still in the process of analyzing the data?[/QUOTE
Good luck on your exam. I've studied with psych prep and got 95%-89% .

Also - are they telling you on the spot now if you pass (for August) or are they still in the process of analyzing the data?
Good luck on your exam. I've studied with psych prep and got 95%-89%

For everyone who tested in July you can call the BOP for results. Anyone testing August and beyond get their results at the testing site, once the test is completed.

Passed! Thank you everyone! I did receive my results at the testing site.

For those who have already passed, just curious how long you have spent studying?

Congrats to those that have passed!

Can anyone recall how long it took to get permission to sign up for the cplee from when you sent in the check and application?

Congrats to those that have passed!

Can anyone recall how long it took to get permission to sign up for the cplee from when you sent in the check and application?

I just went through this. It took slightly less than two weeks. Pretty quick, seeing that it's the BOP.

I'm grateful I found this thread. I was using AATBS to study and felt that I was thoroughly prepared (based on my scores with the AATBS practice exams) and was planning to take the exam next week. After seeing the thoughts here, I purchased the PsychPrep package last night and found that I'm, in fact, very unprepared. PsychPrep's practice tests get at the nuances of the laws/ethics and the ambiguity of the CPLEE questions. AATBS practice tests are misleading. I'm postponing my exam for another two weeks...

Thanks so much! I have materials from both and am hoping to be ready in about a month! This forum convinced me to use psychprep too.

New cut-off is 60 out of 75, which is 80%. Good luck everyone!

I passed on Saturday! It was a pretty tough test. Glad I didn't know about the new cutoff until after it was over.

I just passed on Monday, and agreed that it was a rough test. Even though I felt like I studied until I could study no more, I wasn't all that confident when I finished the test. Also, I can confirm again that the new cut-off was listed at 60.

I used PsychPrep (thanks to advice from this forum) and studied for about 4-5 weeks. I took the practice tests 3 times each, as is the max allowed when you buy the materials. I didn't follow the study timeline suggested by PsychPrep, and didn't space out the re-takes of each test by much. Nonetheless, the practice test scores estimated to be highly predictive of passing by PsychPrep were accurate in my case.

Also, I did find the PsychPrep "style" of questions to be comparable to the real test. I saw 2014 AATBS materials for the CPSE, and the law and ethics questions were much more straightforward (i.e., demanding you to recall knowledge) than the actual test questions, which required you to consider multiple principles (e.g., treating a minor, possible danger to others, record keeping) in the scenario presented.

Good luck to everyone who is studying!

Got a 59 two weeks ago :-(
This is the hardest exam I have ever taken in the course of my career. Not trying to scare folks, but if you come from a PhD program outside of California you will not know any of this material offhand. Nearly every multiple choice question involved two or more actual choices I watched licensed psychologists make during my post-doctoral residency in CA, and thus appeared "ethical" to me. I had no trouble passing the EPPP whatsoever. I studied for a month with AATBS and one week with Psychprep and it was not sufficient. I echo the sentiment that PsychPrep is better and wish that I had used that package for longer.
I am taking the workshop in Los Angeles on the 20th and hope that it will help me to move forward.
Congrats to all who passed! I have to wait til January to retake the exam but at least now I know what I'm dealing with.

Last edited:
Got a 59 two weeks ago :-(
This is the hardest exam I have ever taken in the course of my career. Not trying to scare folks, but if you come from a PhD program outside of California you will not know any of this material offhand. Nearly every multiple choice question involved two or more actual choices I watched licensed psychologists make during my post-doctoral residency at Kaiser Permanente, and thus appeared "ethical" to me. I had no trouble passing the EPPP whatsoever. I studied for a month with AATBS and one week with Psychprep and it was not sufficient. I echo the sentiment that PsychPrep is better and wish that I had used that package for longer.
I am taking the AATBS workshop in Los Angeles on the 20th and hope that it will help me to move forward through the endless hoops of licensure in CA.
Congrats to all who passed! I have to wait til January to retake the exam but at least now I know what I'm dealing with. In addition, the Board is having a "significant delay" on license processing after January. Just my luck lol!

I'm in the same exact boat with an almost identical score. The ethics kills me. I see the answers but also know in real life the response is not as cut and dry. This exam is subjective in away that concerns me because when I left the exam I had. Have. No idea what area I need to study further to improve my score. And the ethics are a crap shoot. To those that need to take it please don't let me make you more anxious. The exam it totally passable. I was just two answers away. I would suggest being very familiar with allll the apa guidelines.

Last edited:
An update: I didn't want to make folks more anxious but just wanted to throw my vote in for Psychprep study materials. I feel much better studying a few hours a week with this package and my scores on the practice exams are getting better :D

I failed with score of 57 a few days ago. I still cannot figure out what area I need to study more, and how to raise the score. I did the psychprep and made all expected progress. Would love to hear your suggestion how to prepare for the next one. Frustrated.

Somebody said the October test was rescored and passed with 59. Do you have any idea what happened? I don't have any false hope, but am curious.

Hi All,

Happy holidays! I can definitely relate to feeling very frustrated at this test and how random some of the questions are. I had already begun studying for Jan's retake when this happened:
At the testing site my letter said that I failed. I recieved a letter dated Nov 16 from the board's exam coordinator stating that they were accepting a "59" as passing for October's exam. This has been accepted by my licensing agent and I am submitting for licensure this weekend. I am not sure if this means that they brought the passing score down to 59 or further. I would call the board to inquire!

Last edited:
Hi All,

Happy holidays! I can definitely relate to feeling very frustrated at this test and how random some of the questions are. I had already begun studying for Jan's retake when this happened:
At the testing site my letter said that I failed. I recieved a letter dated Nov 16 from the board's exam coordinator stating that they were accepting a "59" as passing for October's exam. This has been accepted by my licensing agent and I am submitting for licensure this weekend. I am not sure if this means that they brought the passing score down to 59 or further. I would call the board to inquire!

Thank you and you have a good holiday too.Well my score may :X3:not be the case of rescoring or reconsidering, but I would appreicate if you can ask and let me (us) know.

Last edited:
I took this exam for the third time in two years; this was my first go at the 100 item version. I have no idea if I passed and must wait six weeks until the score is sent. I am amazed by the horrible quality of the questions- some absurdly easy, others so vague and convoluted it is impossible to know what, if f any answer makes sense. I studied intensively this time for more than a month. I used the AATBS materials which I repeated so often I had it nearly memorized. The test today was truly ridiculous; the intent is to demonstrate understanding of laws and ethics. I have practiced for more than three decades in other states and have navigated many real world challenging situations- fully within legal and ethical standards. This test does NOT measure what it pretends to measure no matter how they manipulate the cut score or statistics. This is a giant racket for the prep industry- goal is not mastery but understanding convergent thinking for poor questions, insufficient detail and an almost complete disconnect from real practice. This exam will slow down folks from out of state who believe familiarity with and understanding of the law is all that is needed- it is not. It will also delay students trying to launch their careers- with considerable debt and added test coaching/retakes. Someone needs to challenge this test's actual, not statistical validity. The test questions presented today do not do justice to the profession or the State of California. Anyone know a gutsy law student wanting a challenge?

I took this exam for the third time in two years; this was my first go at the 100 item version. I have no idea if I passed and must wait six weeks until the score is sent. I am amazed by the horrible quality of the questions- some absurdly easy, others so vague and convoluted it is impossible to know what, if f any answer makes sense. I studied intensively this time for more than a month. I used the AATBS materials which I repeated so often I had it nearly memorized. The test today was truly ridiculous; the intent is to demonstrate understanding of laws and ethics. I have practiced for more than three decades in other states and have navigated many real world challenging situations- fully within legal and ethical standards. This test does NOT measure what it pretends to measure no matter how they manipulate the cut score or statistics. This is a giant racket for the prep industry- goal is not mastery but understanding convergent thinking for poor questions, insufficient detail and an almost complete disconnect from real practice. This exam will slow down folks from out of state who believe familiarity with and understanding of the law is all that is needed- it is not. It will also delay students trying to launch their careers- with considerable debt and added test coaching/retakes. Someone needs to challenge this test's actual, not statistical validity. The test questions presented today do not do justice to the profession or the State of California. Anyone know a gutsy law student wanting a challenge?

I'm from out of state and agree a thousand percent. The test questions are soooo bizarre and subjective I left not knowing what I could do to pass next time. Why do you have to wait for your test score? They told me my score when I finished.

I passed. It's very doable!!! Hope you all the best

Would you be willing to sell or donate your CPLEE materials

I took the CPLEE this morning and failed by 2 points!!! I got a 59 and the pass score is 61. This sucks. I used psych prep.

I took the CPLEE this morning and failed by 2 points!!! I got a 59 and the pass score is 61. This sucks. I used psych prep.

I just took it August 2016 and also failed with a 59. I also prepped with Psychprep and felt ready. I'm extremely frustrated- I passed the EPPP first time with no problem.

I noticed that the July 2016 pass rate (first month to use this new form) was much lower than all other 2016 months (all above 90%, July was 76%). I also saw that someone with a 59 in October 2015 was told they failed but later told they passed via mail because of an exam rescore. I'm wondering if this is at all a possibility for us??

Reactions: 1 users
Hi All,

What was the original pass score? I was informed at the test center that I failed in August 2016 with a 59 and the pass rate was 61. I noticed that this exam (just started in July) has a much lower pass rate than all other 2016 months and am wondering if the cut off may be re-evaluated like it was for you. Any more info you have would be greatly appreciated!

What was the original pass score? I was informed at the test center that I failed in August 2016 with a 59 and the pass rate was 61. I noticed that this exam (just started in July) has a much lower pass rate than all other 2016 months and am wondering if the cut off may be re-evaluated like it was for you. Any more info you have would be greatly appreciated!

Hey there,

For anyone who found the CPLEE especially confusing or who failed by a narrow margin (e.g., 1-2 questions), one option is to file a complaint through the CA Department of Consumer Affairs. This can be done online (anonymously or not) at https://www.dca.ca.gov/webapps/complainthelp/online_complaint.php