New Computer for Vet School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which iPad is better for vet school?

• iPad Pro 2020

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • iPad Air 2019

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • IPad Pro 2018

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
The day the Surface has the power to support two external monitors, I will switch. :)

The new docking station will let you do this. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Bumping this thread as Surface Pro 3's $100 off sale was extended to Feb 28!

I'm currently on the fence about getting a Surface Pro 3 or a Galaxy Note of some sort (as per recommendations on this thread).

For Surface Pro 3 users: is the battery life as crap as tech reviews claim? If so, how do you deal with it? And are you completely able to forego owning a separate laptop/desktop in vet school?

For Galaxy Note 10.1, etc. users: what useful vet-school-specific functionality does the Note have beyond awesome handwriting recognition? Do you use a OneNote app or S Note or something else? 10.1 or 12.2?

I'm currently on the fence about getting a Surface Pro 3 or a Galaxy Note of some sort (as per recommendations on this thread).

For Surface Pro 3 users: is the battery life as crap as tech reviews claim? If so, how do you deal with it? And are you completely able to forego owning a separate laptop/desktop in vet school?

For Galaxy Note 10.1, etc. users: what useful vet-school-specific functionality does the Note have beyond awesome handwriting recognition? Do you use a OneNote app or S Note or something else? 10.1 or 12.2?
My surface pro 3 battery is ok. I charge it before classes, use it all morning, charge it for an hour or two at lunch and it lasts the afternoon. As long as you are on top of keeping it charged when there's an outlet available it's been fine for me! :) It would probably last all through classes without being charged but I just don't feel like testing that, haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 edition). Haven't started vet school yet, but I've been using it for taking notes this semester in undergrad. I use Lecture Notes, it's about $5 and you can also get an add-on to record lectures while you take notes. It's pretty great, you can write notes or import pdfs to write on, insert pictures into your notes, and export to pdf so you can print them if you want. I have it set up so I have a folder for each class and within the folders I have notebooks for each lecture/topic. The battery lasts through all of my classes (if I'm not on the Internet too much ;)), which is 10am to 4pm on my longest days. I also have a portable charger so if the battery does get low I can charge it back up a bit without having to find an outlet.

I'm trying to decide between the Surface pro 3 and the Galaxy Note 10.1 (or pro?) What are the major differences between them?

And I don't get all the different operating systems... what is the difference between kitkat and jelly bean?

Kitkats are chocolatey goodness. Jellybeans are ok, but I prefer chocolate. ;)

Reactions: 4 users
I'm trying to decide between the Surface pro 3 and the Galaxy Note 10.1 (or pro?) What are the major differences between them?

And I don't get all the different operating systems... what is the difference between kitkat and jelly bean?
Kitkat is just a slight update. I'm not sure of all the changes but since it's only 4.3 to 4.4 I imagine it's not that big of a step up. I don't know the differences between a surface and the galaxy note, but I love my galaxy note...using it right now :D

What do you consider "crap?" My Surface pro 3 has a very decent battery life (5-6 hours) if I don't watch a lot of videos or browse a bunch of websites for several hours. On long days (class 8am-6pm), I bring my charger to plug it in during lunch, but it's just a security blanket since I know it would most likely last until the end of the day if it had to.

This is my advice. If you are completely looking to replace your laptop, I would get the Surface Pro 3. It runs absolute circles around my old chunky Dell, I LOVE the pen when I'm drawing pathways or figures on my notes, and it's probably the best note-taker I personally found. That being said, if you are looking for a supplemental tablet just to take notes on, then I would lean toward the Galaxy Note, which a few of my classmates have and are happy with.

Galaxy Note 10.1 is not a real computer -- it's meant to compete with the likes of iPads. It can't download Microsoft Office, Adobe Suite, etc., if that's important to you. It would definitely require owning a real laptop/desktop on the side. I think of it as a tablet just for taking notes (but very, very good at its job, ultra-portable, great battery life, amazing S pen gadget thing).

Surface Pro 3 runs a proper OS (although I have opinions about Windows 8.1...), can function as a real laptop if you buy the extra keyboard, is much pricier, and also has an excellent touchscreen/handwriting recognition. Thanks to its OS, it can run OneNote. It's meant to compete more with MacBook Air and other ultrabooks, sacrificing some battery/power/price for an amazing touchscreen, from what I understand.

If you already have a laptop/desktop you love (e.g. powerful and functional, perhaps not portable), I would go for the cheaper Galaxy Note 10.1. I personally don't have one -- I use a government-owned $2k iMac at work and a Chromebook for surfing the web at home. If I got a Galaxy Note 10.1, I would probably end up building my own desktop at home to complement it. The Surface Pro 3, however, should be able to serve as my only gadget.

What do you consider "crap?" My Surface pro 3 has a very decent battery life (5-6 hours) if I don't watch a lot of videos or browse a bunch of websites for several hours. On long days (class 8am-6pm), I bring my charger to plug it in during lunch, but it's just a security blanket since I know it would most likely last until the end of the day if it had to.

Ah, I've been spoiled. My old ultrabook + current Chromebook last me days on a single charge. Although my old ultrabook is dead and my Chromebook is obviously limited otherwise.

I love that the Surface Pro 3 is reasonably powerful and can run Matlab, Photoshop, etc. I've also read on other forums that the handwriting recognition is even better than the Galaxy Note's Wacom-based tech (hard to believe!). I am leaning heavily towards the SP3 now...

Reactions: 1 user
Ah, I've been spoiled. My old ultrabook + current Chromebook last me days on a single charge. Although my old ultrabook is dead and my Chromebook is obviously limited otherwise.

I love that the Surface Pro 3 is reasonably powerful and can run Matlab, Photoshop, etc. I've also read on other forums that the handwriting recognition is even better than the Galaxy Note's Wacom-based tech (hard to believe!). I am leaning heavily towards the SP3 now...
Unfortunately, it won't last days on the charge (though the first few months I got a good 9-10 hours out of it at a time). Compared to my old laptop that only got one hour off the charger, I'm pretty happy with it haha.

I can't compare to the Galaxy Note, but I can say that the recognition on the Surface Pro 3 is FANTASTIC! I love that I can have my hand on the screen while writing unhindered, and the touchscreen itself is just great. The pen allows my to write just like a real one, my handwriting turns out the same either way.

If I would have any complaints about the Surface, it would be the charger itself, as it's slightly brittle and came apart on me a month or two ago (I got another one I like a lot more online though, so if you need to you can get a rather cheap alternative).

My laptop is at least 7 years old and has some issues, so I'm looking to completely replace it. I guess the sp3 sounds like the way to go, which is how I was leaning anyway. I almost want to get it now with my tax returns, but I should probably wait until a figure out all of my student loans.

My laptop is at least 7 years old and has some issues, so I'm looking to completely replace it. I guess the sp3 sounds like the way to go, which is how I was leaning anyway. I almost want to get it now with my tax returns, but I should probably wait until a figure out all of my student loans.

I almost kind of want a SP3 for clinics. More portable than my laptop and has a way nicer keyboard than what I've been able to find for my Galaxy Note. That being said, since I only have a 2 y/o MacBook and about the same age Galaxy Note, I can't really justify buying it for sheer convenience. Especially since I don't even technically have to bring my laptop for clinics since there are computers for us to type up SOAPs and discharges.

That being said, if it really has the full functionality of a computer with a nice stylus writing feature (haven't done the research but everything I've heard about it says, yes), I'd probably spend the money on it. Might get one after I graduate and retire the Mac to being a "desktop."

Members don't see this ad :)
:love: this thread. I'm geeking out about getting a tablet for vet school. Are any of you galaxy note or surface pro users lefties? Does it affect your notes written on your tablet? I've been known to smudge some of my handwritten notes so I'm curious if this affects tablet-written notes at all? For example, as I'm writing, will my palm moving across the screen accidentally select stuff or confuse my tablet into thinking that I'm drawing instead of writing? Thanks :D

:love: this thread. I'm geeking out about getting a tablet for vet school. Are any of you galaxy note or surface pro users lefties? Does it affect your notes written on your tablet? I've been known to smudge some of my handwritten notes so I'm curious if this affects tablet-written notes at all? For example, as I'm writing, will my palm moving across the screen accidentally select stuff or confuse my tablet into thinking that I'm drawing instead of writing? Thanks :D

Not generally with the Galaxy Note. S Note has a feature to turn off hand/palm recognition.

Just gonna put this out there. The surface pro using one note for note taking pretty much rules everything else. And I don't even like windows, I have a Mac. Wish I had a surface though...

Reactions: 1 users
hey all, just wanted to bump this thread to ask about the Surface Pro 3. Anyone who is using it, what specifications does yours have? I was planning on getting the i5 processor, 128gb memory, 4gb RAM. Would this be enough? I'm going to Mizzou in case anyone has any specific Mizzou related surface pro 3 experience! :)

I'm trying to hold out for the surface pro 4. Some rumors say it could come out in July.
I did hear about the surface pro 4, but I think its supposed to come out closer to August or September :(

hey all, just wanted to bump this thread to ask about the Surface Pro 3. Anyone who is using it, what specifications does yours have? I was planning on getting the i5 processor, 128gb memory, 4gb RAM. Would this be enough? I'm going to Mizzou in case anyone has any specific Mizzou related surface pro 3 experience! :)
I have a Surface Pro 3 as my primary laptop/notetaker and I LOVE IT! :love: It runs circles around my old Dell and I seriously have no complaints. I love being able to type my notes while also being able to draw pathways or structures as well (OneNote is a must, and at least at Mizzou the entirety of Office can be downloaded for free from the email program so definitely do that!). It is compatible with all of the notes/software so far (In the fall you will have the option to download a virtual microscope for histo/microanatomy, or other programs to watch lecture recordings, which I was very happy to have zero issues with (some Mac users had a few hiccups with programs, though the IT office just for the vet school is super helpful in that aspect)).

I'm going to have a computer but how do people feel about iPads? It's hard to tell the differences between each of them (besides all the spec jargon) for people who use them for vet med. How much do you use them and would you buy them again if you had it to do over? Thanks!

I bought an iPad when I entered vet school. Liked it a lot for my first year classes (Anatomy and things) to draw on. Second year and now beyond, I have found myself not using my iPad at all and just sticking to typing notes on my laptop from powerpoint. Seems to be the best method for me, personally, but everyone has their own way to studying, it is just going to depend.

Many of my classmates used iPads and liked them just fine. I believe almost everyone who used them daily had nice keyboard cases for them. I was like Rainheart and liked it occasionally, but normally just used my Macbook to take notes. I did study off of my iPad quite a bit though once the notes were typed and uploaded to a dropbox type app because it was easier to keep in my bag and take out and study with whenever I had downtime.

I have the same specs and mine has worked well for undergrad. :) No complaints from me!

I really like my iPad mini. I had a full size iPad in undergrad, but the mini is so much lighter and convenient, especially for when I start rotations. After my main computer crashed in April, I took notes on my mini and was very pleased with the functionality of the tiny keyboards-except for the placement of a couple keys (? and /) it was identical to normal keyboard.

I frickin LOVED my iPad mini on rotations. I had charts and diagrams and algorithms and books all sitting into Google Drive and Dropbox accounts and it was awesome to be able to pull them up whenever. Bestest thing ever. Not that you couldn't do it with a laptop or phone, but it was the perfect size.

I'm seeing a lot of strong recommendations here for the SP3, which is what I've been looking at for my upcoming first year, but I'm wondering if anyone uses the Surface 3? I do have a three year old i5 laptop I'll be keeping as a supplement device, but I was considering buying a Surface/SP3 to bring to classes/on-the-go/etc. The Surface is a good deal cheaper than the Pro yet seems to have a lot of the same functionality based on reviews at Microsoft.com. I'm just wondering whether it will be enough for classes? Are there any vet-related programs you need to run that the Atom processor of the Surface won't be able to handle?

I'm seeing a lot of strong recommendations here for the SP3, which is what I've been looking at for my upcoming first year, but I'm wondering if anyone uses the Surface 3? I do have a three year old i5 laptop I'll be keeping as a supplement device, but I was considering buying a Surface/SP3 to bring to classes/on-the-go/etc. The Surface is a good deal cheaper than the Pro yet seems to have a lot of the same functionality based on reviews at Microsoft.com. I'm just wondering whether it will be enough for classes? Are there any vet-related programs you need to run that the Atom processor of the Surface won't be able to handle?

THIS. I was actually just about to ask this question. Are there any benefits that I might drastically miss out on if I go with the Surface 3 over the Pro? I'm on a tight budget, moving across the country is well frankly going to drain my poor wallet. But I don't want to purchase something that will crap out on me in a year or two.

I don't know that many classmates that have the S3 unfortunately... though those that do seem to enjoy it. I think the main difference (this is really just a guess) is going to be power. If you are looking to completely replace your laptop (like I did), then maybe the SP3 is the way to go, since it does everything my old laptop did and then some. But if you are just going to use this for school, then I think the S3 would do just fine for you (or look at the S4 when it comes out...). However I'm not a tech person so I could be wrong, this is just what I was told when I was looking at the two of them. :shrug:

So I (and a lot of my classmates) have the SP3, and have been really happy with them. The pen is excellent if you're a person who handwrites notes, and having a USB port is ridiculously handy. I'm not too familiar with the S3, but I just looking at the specs, my concern with it would be the low RAM - some things you use will munch up the 2GB pretty quickly, especially down the line (if you're hoping to make it last all 4 years). It looks like you can upgrade to 4GB of RAM for another $100, but that brings your price tag up to $600. The S3 does not include the pen, so that's another $50. Now you're up to $650. None of them come with the keyboard, which is another $130. The entry model SP3 is $799 - not a huge difference, and that machine also has 4GB RAM, but will probably give you more mileage. You can usually get student discounts through Microsoft, your school, or Best Buy that can drop the price down some, too.

I'm sure you could make either one work, but it sort of depends on how you'll end up using it - my SP3 has completely replaced my laptop (not intentionally - I just don't end up using it anymore because the SP3 does everything I need), which is a 3 year old Mac Air. If you just want a tablet for class/note taking, the S3 would probably do just fine.

Maybe a silly inquiry but I have never typed notes on a computer in class - I always handwrite them in notebooks (call me oldschool) - was it easy for people to adjust to writing with the stylus on the S3/SP3 screens? Does anyone in vet school hand write their notes? :p

There are two people in my class who take notes by hand. I think they print the slides and hand-write notes on them to supplement what's already there. I honestly don't know how they keep up!

Maybe a silly inquiry but I have never typed notes on a computer in class - I always handwrite them in notebooks (call me oldschool) - was it easy for people to adjust to writing with the stylus on the S3/SP3 screens? Does anyone in vet school hand write their notes? :p
I have to handwrite things to remember them, and I found that switching to a tablet (I have a Galaxy Note but I figure it's the same concept) wasn't difficult at all. Still had all the benefits of handwriting the notes too.

At UTK, you buy the professors' notes and you can either get them printed or on a CD. From what the c/o 2018ers have told us, lots of people still handwrite on the printed notes, others load up the notes on their tablets or whatever from the CD and write on them that way. It doesn't seem like it would be feasible to actually handwrite everything during class - everyone seems to rely on the professors' notes and just add to them, since it is so much material.

I literally have no idea how people manage to still hand write notes in vet school (though there are a few in my class that still do).

I hand wrote on a tablet (galaxy note) for 1.5+ years of vet school. I didn't use it as much this year because a lot of professors made last minute chances and the way the note is set up requires you to convert the file to a PDF before importing it to the note taking program so it just took up time doing it in class.

If I missed anything, I just relistened to the lecture (if I missed a lot...aka spent time on SDN/candy crush etc) or googled things.

You do end up using a lot of short hand I should post a picture of one sentence in my notes. There were very few actual words in it.

I used to do nothing but handwritten notes as well, but found out very quickly that since I have such messy handwriting, it was just easier for me to type and then use the stylus to flip pages or draw arrows for pathways. I wasn't keeping up very well writing with the stylus (Mostly because I wanted good, readable notes, but my handwriting is atrocious), though there's a few people in my class that write with the stylus just fine! The stylus itself is fabulous. It is super precise and writes just like my real handwriting. I can also use it to underline/highlight as I go which is really nice.

To be honest, the only way I would see it feasible (in my opinion) to write out your notes is to print out the powerpoint slides and write on them. However, unless your school allows you to print a whole bunch for free... expect to pay A LOT of money to print everything out.

It's definitely more economical to either type or write your notes on your tablet/PC, but if you really want to hand-write your notes, then you could probably make it work.

Maybe they have some kind of shorthand system

The few I've seen just print out the powerpoint slides. Lots and lots of paper when our lectures vary from 40 slides-200 slides per lecture...

Most people do type their notes, but there are some who use actual pen and paper. Personally I like the old-school method, and I end up retaining more by actually writing things versus typing. But I wanted the convenience of having digital notes, which is why I got the SP3. I download the powerpoints/pdfs into OneNote and use the stylus to take all my notes. That way I get the best of both worlds - no paper to lug around, but I still get the handwritten notes. Plus then my notes are searchable, so when you're looking for that one random note while you're studying, it's easy to find.

Additional bonus: being able to have multiple apps open at the same time. Sometimes it's nice to have a split screen up with a textbook or something and OneNote, so that I can see what is being referenced, or take screenshots of diagrams and stuff.

The problems with my laptop are getting worse by the day, so I'm thinking of just getting the sp3 instead of waiting for the sp4 which I heard may come out at the end of July. It's a tough choice because I'm sure the sp3 price will go down at the same time. Anyway, no matter which I ultimately decide to get and when, how many GB do you think is necessary? Is 64 ok? Or should I go big and get 256 (512 is just TOO expensive)? I'll mostly use it for school stuff and moderate internet usage. I can't see me watching movies or anything like that on it.

The problems with my laptop are getting worse by the day, so I'm thinking of just getting the sp3 instead of waiting for the sp4 which I heard may come out at the end of July. It's a tough choice because I'm sure the sp3 price will go down at the same time. Anyway, no matter which I ultimately decide to get and when, how many GB do you think is necessary? Is 64 ok? Or should I go big and get 256 (512 is just TOO expensive)? I'll mostly use it for school stuff and moderate internet usage. I can't see me watching movies or anything like that on it.
A 1 TB external hard drive is currently $55 on Amazon. And there's always Dropbox! 256 GB seems excessive to me on a laptop when third-party storage is so cheap these days...unless you plan on installing gluttonous software/virtual OS.

It really depends on what you're using it for. If you're just going to be doing school stuff and some internet stuff, 64 should be fine. You can store most documents on like, google drive or something anyway. My tablet is only 32 gb and I use it for those same things.

A 1 TB external hard drive is currently $55 on Amazon. And there's always Dropbox! 256 GB seems excessive to me on a laptop when third-party storage is so cheap these days...unless you plan on installing gluttonous software/virtual OS.
I am planning on getting an external hard drive too, mostly to store pictures and some music. I'm not planning on installing any crazy software either, so thanks for saving me a couple hundred bucks!

Hey! I got a new computer last year when school started (my previous one was from 2005, and the battery literally would fall out the back when I picked it up. haha!). I got an HP emvy, with a touch screen. It was the specific model recommended by my school, and would run their software. I know some of my classmates had trouble using apple software and products when trying to do homework, download lectures, etc, but it was all resolved eventually. As far as my computer, I've always used HP's and I'm happy with this one. Only thing is the mousepad isn't very senstivie, so I bought a cheap mouse... a bit frustrating, but not too much trouble. I lived on a tight budget, and this computer was affordable (there was a good fourth of July sale at Best Buy).

In lecture, I would say at least 80 to 90% of us use ipads/tablets to take notes. As a class, we have a class google drive, and share lectures, notes, and study guides on it. Plus, the tablets have a longer battery life than most laptops, so it makes being in class all day (and not having to charge) more manageable. There is an app for ipads called Notability that is really popular, you can download powerpoints to it, take/type your own notes, and record lectures on it. I've used it this year and really recommend it.

I hope this could be of a little help! :)

This thread has been super useful but I still have some questions.
- if you take your notes on a tablet, do you study from there too or do you print them off?
- if you study from a screen, do you make study guides/summaries by hand or only use the soft copy?
I'm trying to decide where to spend the money, on an awesome laptop/tablet so I can go paperless or on a mid-grade laptop and a good laser printer. Thanks!